Norcal TR

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Average Joe
Location: Where they rip out the trees and name streets after them.

Norcal TR

Post by Average Joe » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:19 pm

Last Tuesday I loaded up the truck and then headed north with my wife and the dog.

1.JPG
1.JPG (260.73 KiB) Viewed 1815 times

Somewhere along the way, the odometer rolled past 100,000.

I drove another 99 miles before I noticed.

2.JPG
2.JPG (164.42 KiB) Viewed 1815 times

Eventually I reached my destination. It's a place some of you are familiar with.

3.JPG
3.JPG (140.1 KiB) Viewed 1815 times

After unloading the truck my wife and I headed into town and had lunch at one of the local burger joints. My wife ordered a patty melt, and I had a Philly cheese steak and a large chocolate shake. We split an order of onion rings. Some people might say, "That's not very healthy." Fuck those people. It was delicious, and that's all we were after.

After lunch we went back to the cabin and I rigged up the two rods I'd brought. They'd both once belonged to the Old Man, and when he gave up fishing he gave them to me.

4.JPG
4.JPG (131.22 KiB) Viewed 1815 times
5.JPG
5.JPG (246.82 KiB) Viewed 1815 times

I lit a cigar, grabbed a beer out of the fridge, and headed down to the river with the Old Man's Fenwick and my foldy-chair.

6.JPG
6.JPG (392.25 KiB) Viewed 1815 times

Fish were rising, but I had no clue as to what they were eating. Despite that, I decided to try and catch one.

I tied on my favorite springtime, go-to, dry fly pattern.

7.JPG
7.JPG (216.06 KiB) Viewed 1815 times

The fish showed absolutely no interest in my offering, and I felt kind of hurt that they deemed this fly unworthy. I thought, "This is a great pattern that has killed up here in years past. Why aren't they taking it? What is wrong with these fucking fish?" Then I actually started to get mad. I'd fried my eyes tying two dozen of these goddamn tiny things.

I walked back to the cabin, grabbed my big fly box and another beer, and then headed back to the river.

After looking over what I had, I tied on an orange caddis/stimulator type thing that had at times proven to be successful on this river,
probably because it's tied on a TMC 200R.

8.JPG
8.JPG (194.07 KiB) Viewed 1815 times

A couple of fish nosed it. Smelled it. Bumped it. But none would commit.

I was starting to really hate these fish.

I still hadn't seen anything resembling a hatch, but the fish were still sporadically rising. I had noticed a lot of ants out and about, doing what ants do, so I tied on a Royal Wulff-type thing.

9.JPG
9.JPG (191.7 KiB) Viewed 1815 times
10.JPG
10.JPG (350.45 KiB) Viewed 1815 times

I'm rarely one to hoot and holler when (if) I catch a fish, but in this instance I may (or may not) have exclaimed, "HA! TAKE THAT YOU BASTARD!"

11.JPG
11.JPG (288.95 KiB) Viewed 1815 times

Fish were still rising in the river in front of me, but now that I'd stumbled upon what they were eating I was done with Little League.

It was time to pit the Royal Wulff-type thing I'd tied against "THE BEST OF THE BEST."

12.JPG
12.JPG (348.69 KiB) Viewed 1815 times
13.JPG
13.JPG (384.42 KiB) Viewed 1815 times

I scampered out onto the rocks... now that I think about it, it involved more crawling and hobbling than scampering, but scampered sounds better, so I'm going to stick with that. Anyway, I made it out to where I wanted to be without breaking anything or falling in, made a halfway decent cast, and watched the fly drift right where it was supposed to drift.

I kept feeding line, and the fly wasn't dragging, which shocked the shit out of me, but not as much as what happened next: a huge fish slowly rose from the depths, opened his big maw, revealed the bright white insides of his massive mouth, and without breaking the water's surface sucked in my fly.

I reacted by setting the hook before giving the fish a chance to turn, and lodged the fly firmly into the tree limb behind me.

I spent the next hour trying to entice him back.

Eventually I gave up and hobbled back to the cabin; shins and ego both thoroughly bruised.

I felt better after a couple of whiskeys.

A dinner of carne asada and a pitcher of sangria at the Mexican restaurant in town helped me feel better still, and after a nightcap on the porch, I was ready for bed and looking forward to whatever the next day might bring.

pbrstreetgang

Re: Norcal TR

Post by pbrstreetgang » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:53 pm

got my foldy chair and a glass of Gentleman Jack at the ready...
Everybody knows this is nowhere...

B.M. Barrelcooker

Post by B.M. Barrelcooker » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:02 pm

I hope you go back and stick that fat bastard.
"worst that can happen is a big fat zero and a fine walk out of doors"---Chadroc

Obie

Post by Obie » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:24 pm

Dig the glass. Nice words, too :cool

ironman

Post by ironman » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:39 pm

Well.... It wasn't just a day trip, right?
"if you don't understand the perfect logic of this, then you may as well fuck right off Teh Suk" - Fatman

"I took a Japanese whaling approach to panfishing as a kid." - Boomin

BobLoblaw

Post by BobLoblaw » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:48 pm

I'm looking forward to what the next day might bring, as well.
Go get that big fella, AJ!
:cheer :cheer :cheer
"Walters brook trout. Roots steelhead. Thalwegs tarpon. Loblaws cutthroats.

The list continues to grow..."
-Fatman

rampant

Post by rampant » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:33 am

This could be good, I'll go get a beer.

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:34 am

Just another average TR from Joe!

fly-chucker

Post by fly-chucker » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:01 am

This cannot be one of your TR's. Fish were caught and the foldy chair is not pictured. :cool
"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." -CC

"Get off the water you dumb asses…there is a shit storm coming." -Pancho Rancho

"Fucker compared my small stream trout weenie cast to an epileptic with Tourette’s Syndrome." -Carpe Tructa

RaZ

Post by RaZ » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:44 am

jose medio. i kept waiting for you to prepare some part of your gear and missing some important piece of gear, as your TR's go at times... but you've got time. what did you forget to bring??????? suspense. it got me.
"Then let us know how that goes, you smug motherfucker"

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:52 am

That is quite the Tupperware lid retention system!

I'm ready for more please.
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

When your choices are between a pedophile religious zealot or a dem suddenly the pedophile religious zealot doesn't sound too bad. - PLOW

Transylwader

Post by Transylwader » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:00 pm

Jose, go back in there with a dirty girdie, sz 8. Them Nor Cal furshes have never seen anything like it. Make sure you gots 12lb tippet. Fuck all the gheyness of 5X. I wanna see you trout setting from the foldy chair. I bet that is a sight to behold :cool
If assholes could fly, Raleigh would be a fucking airport - my Mum