A Thin Blue Line

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
ScottP

A Thin Blue Line

Post by ScottP » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:22 pm

Had a few hours between painting and yard work so I figured I'd see how the patch job on the waders worked and test drive a few new patterns; 30 minutes up the road and I was in business

Usually I cross the creek back and forth to maneuver around all the downed timber and rock ledges but although it may be tiny, it was still swift and deep enough from the tail end of runoff to limit my options (5th knee surgery took the last of the meniscus and ability to challenge heavy water). Still, there were some nice spots to be had

smaller and less numerous than the trilliums I saw in April, but just as pretty

A little slow at first but the fish started looking up

lower down it's spruce and pine (flushed a mama spruce grouse and chick), further up it transitions to cedar, and they lean in over the water to provide some nice shade

cutts were a bit bigger, too

itch was scratched and the patch job held so, for at least a few hours, all was right with the world. High water put the new fly testing on hold; foam was the name of the game

pair of Carnage variations

Kolzer Firefly; the dark moose body hair wing stood out very well in all the foam, helped me pick out a few strikes I might have missed in the suds

Last edited by ScottP on Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These things are gone forever
Over a long time ago, oh yeah
RIP Walter

rampant

Re: A Thin Blue Line

Post by rampant » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:33 am

I like the water you have there; the foam should be left on the water. Keep it natural for little water

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:11 am

sbs please.

5... 4... 3... 2...
49% of americans assume I give a shit about what they think.

ScottP

Post by ScottP » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:36 pm

Spent enough time on projects that I earned a break in the action; even with temps in the 90's I was hoping to pound some fish up. Headed back to the scene of the crime from the last outing; a week of heat and no rain dropped the flows, making it easier to get around.

Cutts love foam stuff

Headed about 5 miles farther up the drainage; water's similar

fish just as dumb

Cool to see some beargrass here

Supposed to be a big year for it up in the park; we'll find out Monday
These things are gone forever
Over a long time ago, oh yeah
RIP Walter