Pour A Sip

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Redchaser

Pour A Sip

Post by Redchaser » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:00 am

Just about every fly fisher from Louisiana, and many fly fishers from along the Gulf Coast either knew or knew of Pete Cooper. Pete really pioneered saltwater fly fishing in Louisiana, he started chasing redfish with a long rod when they were still considered trash fish and anybody who did fish for them either did so with bait or a gill net. Pete was a prolific writer, regularly published in regional and national fly fishing and sporting magazines, and he wrote a number of books.

When Pete finally joined some online fly fishing discussion boards, he kind of suffered from "Old Guy On The Internet" syndrome, early on he took things a bit personally and could come off quite curmudgeony and harsh himself...he was a bit of a purist regarding flies, but for all of the online bluster, those who knew Pete in person knew what a very good and generous guy he was. I remember epic online arguments he would have with a well known "realistic" fly tyer regarding what really is or isn't a fly, yet when the two finally met in person they became great friends. I also know of some great acts of generousity that Pete did quietly for no acclaim. He also was a funny guy, great at self deprecating humor.

I learned quite a bit from Pete's writings , from watching him do presentations at club events and from drinking coffee with him around a table. Pete had lived in Buras La for a long time, but when his home was destroyed in Hurricane Katrina he moved to the Broussard area just south of Lafayette. Not too long after that I invited Pete to join me at my sisters pond to catch a few bass, as I knew he hadn't had the opportunity to fish in a while and would probably enjoy it. My sisters pond is "My turf", I know it well and figured I pretty much had it dialed in, but when Pete and I fished it he kicked my ass.

Pete passed away earlier this week after losing a long battle with lung cancer. He outlived his initial prognosis by a couple of years and really fought the good fight. If you get the chance, pour a sip for a good fly fisher and a good man. I'll miss the old fuddy duddy.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

fatman

Re: Pour A Sip

Post by fatman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:42 pm

done...to Pete
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

Plow

Post by Plow » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:03 pm

Well that sucks. Sip poured.
Better Reds than dead...

B.M. Barrelcooker

Post by B.M. Barrelcooker » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:34 pm

Cheers Pete. That's a fine eulogy Red.

I think the "BM" on this mound actually stands for "bowel movement"; one of Franzen's, if I'm not mistaken...

Ginseng Sullivan

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:19 pm

Since I just cracked a beer. Cheers Pete!

As my friend Coach likes to say- He's gone to his great reward.

Bigguy

Post by Bigguy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:41 pm

Sip poured, pal.

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:44 pm

Sip poured
ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

421sd

Post by 421sd » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:03 pm

Just cracked one too...a tip of the can....

Hogleg

Post by Hogleg » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:47 pm

I'm drinking ghey drinks tonight. I'll pour a proper sip to him tomorrow after I visit the liquor store.
"girls with eating disorders will usually let you come in there in butt." -Jhnnythndr
"...my grandmother’s Tang always tasted like rusty water and dirty socks." - Average Joe
"with some limited exceptions steelhead live where the lady selection is sparce." - MTG

augustwest

Post by augustwest » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:49 pm

one more just poured way west of you
"Enjoy every sandwich." -- W. Zevon

fatman

Post by fatman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:03 pm

Hogleg wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:47 pm
I'm drinking ghey drinks tonight. I'll pour a proper sip to him tomorrow after I visit the liquor store.
colonoscopy?
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:14 am

fatman wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:03 pm
Hogleg wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:47 pm
colonoscopy?
He probably means strawberry daiquiris and foo foo drinks with umbrellas in them. You know how he is.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing