Down home .....once again.

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
fallen513

Re: Down home .....once again.

Post by fallen513 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:07 pm

While my wife was in labor with our daughter, I was behind the hospital exploring. I am familiar with the blackest of dace.

____________________________________________________________________________________
I love flyfishing so much I want it to die. -thalweg

Isn't it TIME?

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:21 pm

fallen513 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:07 pm
While my wife was in labor with our daughter, I was behind the hospital exploring. I am familiar with the blackest of dace.

And here I just thought you were a douchebag.
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

B.M. Barrelcooker

Post by B.M. Barrelcooker » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:31 pm

Redchaser wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:06 am
Mighty nice my friend. When are we getting some more Aintry tales?

Parking in the grass:

My work takes me all across the state of Kentucky. I drive a lot....a whole lot. From the Mississippi River all the way to the mountains in Pikeville . Weekdays and weekends alike. A lots of times on rural backroads and especially in the evening time I'll see a bunch of cars at one house all parked in the yard. Nice big houses and small houses and trailers.... there isn't any pattern.
Sometimes I can see the folks sometimes I can't. Generally there are lawn chairs or folding camp chairs and kids running or climbing in trees.Folks just having a visit and enjoying the shade as the sun goes down . Even though I see it often it probably isn't as common as it used to be.
It takes me back to my childhood and times at my grandparents house in West Kentucky. My Dad would park the station wagon just off the bank gravel driveway and we would hop out and join our cousins.....playing baseball with tobacco sticks and pears or peaches from the trees out back. We would climb on the diesel tank or throw rocks at frogs in the cistern and take turns either pumping or drinking from the well. Then as the sun started to fade we would show up at the carport and under the yellow bug light my grandfather would be slicing a cantelope or a watermelon and Grandma would have some paper towels and a salt shaker for us and a couple of 16 ounce RC cola bottles. Every other car that went by on the road would honk and wave . Some nights we could watch the thunderstorms coming from the southwest and sometimes we could hear the big guns from From Fort Campbell as they sighted in targets on the back range.....but always we could here the bugs....cicada and crickets and everything else that were in the woods and fields. It really was like time stood still back then. I know it didn't but it sure seemed like it. Rolling a smoke with my uncles pipe tobacco seemed like a dam big sin back then .....or worse jumping the fence and dragging a two pound bass out of the neighbors pond.....We always put them in my grandfathers pond but the conquest was so rich we had to feel bad about it.
It was a simple time and the simple pleasures enthralled and subdued us. We didn't know it but love was all around us. Love and protection......and peace.

That's what I see as I drive these roads. Thousands of houses and lots with cars parked in the grass. Kids running wild and their families locked in casual conversation.....porch swings and camp chairs .....enjoying the breeze and enjoying a summer evening in Kentucky. It makes me want to go home.....It makes me want to go back.

I think the "BM" on this mound actually stands for "bowel movement"; one of Franzen's, if I'm not mistaken...

ScottP

Post by ScottP » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:24 pm

Something about pumpkinseeds; they'd be at home on a coral reef. Thanks for the pics.
These things are gone forever
Over a long time ago, oh yeah

fallen513

Post by fallen513 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:39 pm

There's still time to make the bake, yard.
____________________________________________________________________________________
I love flyfishing so much I want it to die. -thalweg

Isn't it TIME?

Bamaboy

Post by Bamaboy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:21 am

:cool Thanks for that! the good ole days! Life has gotten so busy that we don't get enough of this anymore!

chadroc

Post by chadroc » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:59 pm

strong sentiments and a great read. good stuff brett. time goes ever ever on. the bugs keep making their summer sounds, out there.
holding it down on the other side of the border

Hogleg

Post by Hogleg » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:30 pm

Topical relates: who here ever chased fire flies to put them in a mason jar?

Literally catching lightning in a bottle.

Some of my fondest memories as a child were chasing fire flies after dark following the exact type family gatherings that BM describes here.

Haven't seen one in 30+ years I guess but also haven't spent much time in the geographical region where they exist.

Did we kill them off by catching them in a jar or by mining and burning fossil fuels to make everything more easy and convenient for us. Global warming?

Do fire flies still exist?

Anyone seen one lately?

I'd like to see a fire fly again. Maybe fish it after dark and see what happens...
"girls with eating disorders will usually let you come in there in butt." -Jhnnythndr
"...my grandmother’s Tang always tasted like rusty water and dirty socks." - Average Joe
"with some limited exceptions steelhead live where the lady selection is sparce." - MTG

Bigguy

Post by Bigguy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:36 pm

We still see them in late spring, early summer, but not near the numbers I remember from childhood.

chadroc

Post by chadroc » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:25 am

they are up here too. used to do that as well, putting them in jars. also would smear them on friends. their guts would glow. saw a few last night. let them be.
holding it down on the other side of the border

ironman

Post by ironman » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:10 am

chadroc wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:25 am
they are up here too. used to do that as well, putting them in jars. also would smear them on friends. their guts would glow. saw a few last night. let them be.
Nostalgia bugs. We always let ours go in the am.
"if you don't understand the perfect logic of this, then you may as well fuck right off Teh Suk" - Fatman

"I took a Japanese whaling approach to panfishing as a kid." - Boomin