Open Roads in the Prairie Schooner

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Lando

Re: Open Roads in the Prairie Schooner

Post by Lando » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:24 pm

When is the cool shit going to happen?
If my tombstone reads, "He never ate sushi." it won't be a lie, and I'll be OK with that.

~Average Joe

ironman

Post by ironman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:37 am

Apologies, fellas. Was waiting on Sakonnet, but it appears he is steeped in salt water.

Day 9.

The day started as usual - getting lit up for sleeping in. This time, with a get-the-fuk-outta-bed-we're-already drinking-and getting ready to leave-wakeup-call, courtesy of our host.

CE and BigTimber secured lunch, and Hagen supervised ample oat soda provisions on a trip to town. The cold fried chicken lunch continues on.

The commute today was much shorter, so we hitched up for the first time. Elevation was a idling factor we learned, but we managed.
River was in fine shape. Locals were harassed. Some of us even went swimming. The company and the scenery did not disappoint.
The fires were present. So foreign to Eastern Flatlanders. I haven't gotten over it.
With some direction and coaching from Lando and The Young Lass, I took a respectable turn on the sticks. This time without herbal enhancement. This was real rowing, not that lazy river bullshit back east. And it was fun.
Boat of Bens
We finished the day with Heero's Smoked Pork BBQ Burritos.
Ben wasn't hungry after dinner this time.

NOTE: we caught a bunch of fishes, and had a damn good day on the water. Sorry, but have to defer to Saks for the feesh pics. Wasn't my department.

I'd like to think that this was a normal western river day: friends, beautiful scenery, wily troot fishes, whities, fried chicken, beer, tweed, and laughs. I sure had a swell time.
"if you don't understand the perfect logic of this, then you may as well fuck right off Teh Suk" - Fatman

"I took a Japanese whaling approach to panfishing as a kid." - Boomin

ironman

Post by ironman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:18 pm

Day 10

We were down a boat with Heero heading home. So Saks and I didn't mind staying back to do the walk and wade into a meadow stream we heard so much about. We found it rather unremarkable, and choked with cottonwood bank to bank. It is possible that we didn't hike far enough, but after seeing fresh local signs, we decided to find another place.
With more specific intel on how far/where to go, we could hit it up again. This place was renovated in the last fire. The standing charcoal was haunting, and the wild flowers were reassuring.

Back to the bigger water. Dnymph called and said, we're parked. Come on down. There's river access. And Lando said he wants to take you guys on an afternoon float. We went down to see what was happening. Lando's landlord was getting embarrassed by the Lass, who was lighting up fish, and CE made a lasting impression of his own blazing up some Colorado Green. The seated District Attorney was not pleased by either display.

The flotilla slipped past us, and Lando asked if I could meet them at the take out in 45 minutes to haul the Lass' raft back to the campsite. No problem man. We'll just stay here and slay until then.

I got down to the ramp, and found out that I just missed the game warden who was checking papers. Shucks. That's weird. Wonder who called that in?

Lando: I want to take you guys back up and do that float again. What do you think?
Me: That's awesome and generous of you. Are you sure? You just did that float.
Lando: I insist.
CE: You definitely want to do this. Best fishing of the Luau. Go.
Lando: Yes you do. Go pickup Saks, and lets go.

Ok, then. Within a half hour, we were dropping in at the put in. And CE was absolutely right. It was incredible fishing.

The fish of the trip, likely a world record. Wish I had a better pic.

This was the western fishing in my mind. Fast river descent. Fish doing what they are supposed to. Mend that shit. MEND! Mend before you think you have to. Cast here. Cast there. At one point, I got a double. One on the dry, and another fish took the dropper. Landed them both. I wish I had that pic. Eventually we made it back to where we'd park for the night. What an afternoon.

Thanks, Lando. You are one heluva guy. Thanks, not only for a great day, but for all you do for the Luau. Glad to know you, dood.

"if you don't understand the perfect logic of this, then you may as well fuck right off Teh Suk" - Fatman

ironman

Post by ironman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:25 pm

One quick add: so we park the boat for the night, and get eaten alive by mosquitos. Never in my life have I experienced mosquitos like this. We couldn't find the path out (10 yards away, by day), so ended up busting brush to get out of there. The entire time under full assault by the bloodsuckers. They were so bad, that they followed us to the campsite, and were our uninvited guests for the evening. Everyone was so happy with us. Fuk.