Driving to Colorado

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Ginseng Sullivan

Re: Driving to Colorado

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:25 am

Day two on the river and into the next camp.

Slinging meat, breakfast and loading up.

Switching rides and getting some bimini love in the land of unending sun

Everyone enjoying the river

Drifted by a small island with a classic roundyround of flotsam swirling in the eddy. Slapped my little foam hopper down and this guy appeared an inch from it a second later. Sipped it in and turned straight down for a great set. Dibs didn't even have to yell, though he did. Yes you can fish out from under the bimini if you're 6'3" and 125 lbs.

Butch Cassidy stopped here for lunch once too.

Floating down to the next camp

Hey, that's my truck! Hangry fisherman re tying after just snapping off a great fish.

Setting up, dinner and a White man fire this night. HF comes through with ice and supplies (mostly NE beers!) and gets in a little camp float. Such a great campsite.

Stayed up way too late just sitting and smoking in the moonlight with everyone else asleep. Taking photos as an excuse to be up. A week before I had never considered going to UT. I had never met any of these people. I was stricken with an immense, crushing loneliness. Sitting on a little hump of rock with that almost full moon lighting up the whole river and surrounding cliffs and hills. I saw myself from a birds eye view as the earth moved farther away in successive steps from my center of location. Swallowed up into the void until the earth was a speck in the universe then closing in the same way until I could see my exact position on the globe, then continent, then State, then River, then hump of rock. The silence only broken by the water slap on the cliff walls below. I was no different than the Coyotes and the Bunnies in this vast piece of prairie with a ribbon of green running across it. I could see where I fit in and it was no where near the top. That kind of clarity can only come to me from a trip to the wilds. It is humbling, terrifying and marvelous and if it hasn't happened to you, you need to get out there. The moon went down and when I finally made it into the tent you could see where the sun would soon rise. Best night of the entire trip.

Wingnut

Post by Wingnut » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:25 am

I hate you
Where can I buy some wanderlust?

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:37 am

Ginseng Sullivan wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:25 am
I was stricken with an immense, crushing loneliness. Sitting on a little hump of rock with that almost full moon lighting up the whole river and surrounding cliffs and hills. I saw myself from a birds eye view as the earth moved farther away in successive steps from my center of location. Swallowed up into the void until the earth was a speck in the universe then closing in the same way until I could see my exact position on the globe, then continent, then State, then River, then hump of rock. The silence only broken by the water slap on the cliff walls below. I was no different than the Coyotes and the Bunnies in this vast piece of prairie with a ribbon of green running across it. I could see where I fit in and it was no where near the top. That kind of clarity can only come to me from a trip to the wilds. It is humbling, terrifying and marvelous ...

Why wilderness should matter to us.

It matters to everything else, with or without us.

Great stuff, Sulli. :cool
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:50 am

So Good :cool
That sounds awesome in my ears!! (P-A)

we were basking in goodness here with our everyday drivel that we enjoy.... the rest of this is horseshit, flybug.pa.

fly-chucker

Post by fly-chucker » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:12 pm

SLSS wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:37 am
Ginseng Sullivan wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:25 am
I was stricken with an immense, crushing loneliness. Sitting on a little hump of rock with that almost full moon lighting up the whole river and surrounding cliffs and hills. I saw myself from a birds eye view as the earth moved farther away in successive steps from my center of location. Swallowed up into the void until the earth was a speck in the universe then closing in the same way until I could see my exact position on the globe, then continent, then State, then River, then hump of rock. The silence only broken by the water slap on the cliff walls below. I was no different than the Coyotes and the Bunnies in this vast piece of prairie with a ribbon of green running across it. I could see where I fit in and it was no where near the top. That kind of clarity can only come to me from a trip to the wilds. It is humbling, terrifying and marvelous ...

Why wilderness should matter to us.

It matters to everything else, with or without us.

Great stuff, Sulli. :cool
Truth is strong in those words :cool
"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." -CC

"Get off the water you dumb asses…there is a shit storm coming." -Pancho Rancho

"Fucker compared my small stream trout weenie cast to an epileptic with Tourette’s Syndrome." -Carpe Tructa

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:34 pm

Great report.

McH

Post by McH » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:06 pm

Some good contemplative thoughts in here.

Fucking Drake

:cool
you know what i am a strong fan of..... fishing and not being a douche bag. - alteredstates

For fucks sake, its just fishing...it ain't that cool. - Vito

Who the fuck comes home from fishing EARLY? A guy that whipped deserves to get cheated on.- yard4sale

Ginseng Sullivan

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:56 am

Last day of the float trip leg of this trip. Up early as usual despite little sleep. At 48 I still get that Christmas morning thing every new day on a trip like this. Later on the third leg of this trip, I would be told to calm down at least a few times in one morning. It's ineffective.

Dibs got the chuck wagon rolling and clearly does not fuck around as concerns breakfast or streamer fishing. A quick float, a few snaps and the last pack up.

I'll ask for forgiveness rather than permission on this one. Photography is best when it's real and brother, it don't get any more real. My second favorite pic of the trip. In his element. Gorgeous fish to boot.

The day before a curious thing happened. While floating down a flat stretch. Dibs noticed something in the grass along the bank. Thinking it was just garbage that blew out of a raft he rowed us over to pick it up. As we got close it became obvious what it was. We packed it away for use at it's predestined time. I have had too many of these types of things happen to consider it a coincidence. Evidence that Dog exists comes to me not in any organized delivery system, but in little inside jokes that have far more significance. Don't tell me, show me.

I've always thought the best gifts came from the river. Happy Birthday!

Packed it all up again and headed down the river. We didn't drink or burn near enough. Flatter and slower down here with the exception of the last small canyon. Trico's got the fish working well but the bright sun kept the good ones down low. Sadly no whitey's we hooked though a few nymph rigs did get slung around.

Namesake and canyon.

Puppy Stuff

Favorite pic of the whole trip. Such a great puppy destined to a great life of more of the same. Lucky bastid. I was very fortunate to have rowed Dibs boat into CO for my first time in the state. First touched ground in CO stepping out of the boat.

Took a little break and drank my last MA beer. Never tasted finer.

Last ramp. Meeting HF to head back into UT for a couple of more days. Unpacking boats, packing trucks and of course drinking!

That's it for the float part of the trip. Another example of cosmic alignment. Could just as easily not have happened. So thankful that everyone made it through in good condition. Never even needed a band aid which is really remarkable considering the amount of work that goes into this kind of trip. Surprised no one even hurt their back loading beer and firewood. Great to meet Dibs Sr., M and K as well. Such great people make such a great trip.

Huge thanks to Ben and Dibs for the invitation. For people I just met, you guys seem like old friends. I was made to feel part of the team immediately and hopefully held up my end. I missed that island by at least 18"! I'd do it again tomorrow.

Fuckin Drake.

flashback

Post by flashback » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:42 am

Great story, Nick!
Good Kharma strikes again.

fishskibum

Post by fishskibum » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:24 am

i tried to find the phishes doing an aqualung cover for the guy with "snot running down his nose and greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes"
while tossing big junks off the bow of the tupparewhare mothership, atop an overpriced cooler.
color me participation stoked to share that which is good
thanks for showin up, gettin utarded,capturing the doing of the thing and reminding me the true beauty and purpose of the suks
hope to do it again sometime or make it east to share your home waters
"To get high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else.And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe" -Jerry Garcia

RockinDaddyNotFromTN

Post by RockinDaddyNotFromTN » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:03 am

how much weed did you smoke

Ginseng Sullivan

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:23 am

RockinDaddyNotFromTN wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:03 am
how much weed did you smoke
Not much more than usual. First trip to the store was quite the experience though. Lousy thin wallet...
fishskibum wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:24 am
i tried to find the phishes doing an aqualung cover for the guy with "snot running down his nose and greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes"
while tossing big junks off the bow of the tupparewhare mothership, atop an overpriced cooler.
color me participation stoked to share that which is good
thanks for showin up, gettin utarded,capturing the doing of the thing and reminding me the true beauty and purpose of the suks
hope to do it again sometime or make it east to share your home waters
Hah, Aqualung, no clue how I didn't think of that. You're a good sport Dibs! Here's a little redemption vid for you. Other than putting out Sr's 'gar it was smooth sailing.

If it's not on HD switch it over on YT it is better.