What I did on My Summer Vacation

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
The Wandering Blues

What I did on My Summer Vacation

Post by The Wandering Blues » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:28 am

Remember back in school when you had to write up an essay on your summer vacation? Well, here ya go...

Me and the Missus decided to try camphosting up in Oregon for the summer. Spoiler alert- we ended up quitting when the place basically became overran by every shit-bag transient from Eugene to Portland. But, I digress....

We decided to take the scenic route to OR, enjoying a stop in the Teton Valley, a first for us. We found a free boondocking spot on the north end of the valley that afforded some amazing views. It's been said that sunsets on the Tetons are average. We got lucky.

The sunrise was equally impressive and I discovered a few other Airstreamers had pulled in during the evening.

Interestingly, the other Streamers were all full timers, and two were families. Pretty amazing to sit around the fire at night talking adventure. As of this writing, one is up in Alaska, one is making its way through Central America. It was nice to have some camaraderie, something you don't always find on the road.

Met our very own Pastor Ben for the first time and left proud to have finally made his acquaintance. There was no fishing on the menu as the Valley was in full run-off mode, but it didn't take away from the awe. And, of course, it was a good place to gather more provisions.

As much as we loved the valley, you could almost feel the pending crush of tourists waiting for south Yellowstone entrance to open. And apparently, some things need pictures to get the point across.

We moved across to Oregon with a quick stop in Boise. The kid was getting out of the Army and was looking to relocate there to go to Boise State. So we spent a day looking around. Damn, that's an awesome place.

Did some touristy shit along the way.

We finally pulled into our camp spot for the season and it was perfectly situated on a bend of the Calapooia River. Next day, we were working.

The dogs were not working...

I discovered the joy of Oregon waters and managed to catch a hatchery feesh while being taught to swing a fly (which is addictive as hell). That fish came home with me, the first time I've kept anything in freshwater in prpobably 10 years.

But mostly I enjoyed small waters on timberland where I could ply the 3wt at natives.

Chapter II coming next~

"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South

Bruiser

Re: What I did on My Summer Vacation

Post by Bruiser » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:08 pm

:cool keep it coming.
That sounds awesome in my ears!! (P-A)

we were basking in goodness here with our everyday drivel that we enjoy.... the rest of this is horseshit, flybug.pa.

The Wandering Blues

Post by The Wandering Blues » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:12 pm

So, as I mentioned earlier, we ended up bailing on our camp hosting gig. I enjoyed the physical labor of it, mowing lawns, taking care of the facilities, etc. But, as word got out it was cheap to camp, local charities started dumping some of the chronic homeless population on us. Others heard about the place from other transients, and pretty soon we had 25-30 assholes running around stealing, smoking meth, doing a little chiva.. We told the town we were through and started to pack up almost 2 mos early. But, not before a homeless guy showed up on our doorstep. I sicked the hounds on him..

The kid showed up as a surprise on our doorstep one morning, on terminal leave from the Army. He'd been camping and fishing around, chasing the EDM rave scene. After making him bathe (he smelled worse than a dirty hippe), we fed him, took him fishing, got him beers, and got caught up on his plans for the future. Even went offshore to catch a feast.

He eventually moved on to Boise, found a place to live in Eagle, got enrolled at BSU, and managed to get a job at Cabelas while attending school. I was worried about his transition from the military, but I guess I shouldn't have been. And, with that, we moved on to look around a bit before heading back to the Land of Enchantment.

We explored around Idaho, fished a bit, and soaked the bones in the numerous hot springs.

Made a move into Montana, but the fires were so bad we cut short our wanderings. But not before I had the honor of catching my first Bull. I was contently catching cutts on a piece of water with my 3wt when I was slammed. A few runs into the backing, a 200 yard run down the river in sandals, finding Jesus at least 3 times, forsaking him at least 4, I managed to see this guy in my net, aka Miss Nona. It was the fly tossing highlight of the trip, hands down. My wife just sat on the bank, drinking beer, reading her book, thinking this was all normal. If she only knew. All I could manage after that was to bust out the sippin' libations and reflect on the moment. Even now, my pulse rate starts rising just thinking about it.

Chapter III coming along shortly
Last edited by The Wandering Blues on Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South

ncguy

Post by ncguy » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:50 pm

Shame there was no scenic stuff.
I had to learn banjo. TX
Don't let your sheepfucking ruin the best imaginary relationships you're ever gonna have.-Befuddled
Red has enough good karma in storage that he could start an online business selling it to the world's assholes. Rancho Pancho
if the trip kills you, you won't live to regret it. JT

fly-chucker

Post by fly-chucker » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:59 pm

I'm a liking chapters 1 and 2 a lot :cool
"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." -CC

"Get off the water you dumb asses…there is a shit storm coming." -Pancho Rancho

"Fucker compared my small stream trout weenie cast to an epileptic with Tourette’s Syndrome." -Carpe Tructa

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:19 pm

IMG_3940.JPG
IMG_3940.JPG (387.24 KiB) Viewed 744 times
You sure that's your kid? Looks nothing like you....

Oregon has been over run by homeless since the occupy movement. It's a real and sad issue.
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

Transylwader

Post by Transylwader » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:05 pm

I unfollowed you on fuckbook. Don't take it personally. Only person I follow is my mom. I kinda figgered you'd post your excellent stuffs up in one proper thread. I prefer it this way than see my newsfeed and there's fucking Uncle Fester every dogdamn day ripping the western trouts proper. Keep up the great escape my good man. You earned the fuck out of it n y'all are welcome at the ranch, even if the hounds would probably get owned by the Blue Cat!
knock up a shop owners daughter. drake dudes will send money.

Randall Dee

Post by Randall Dee » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:21 pm

All this driving around drinking beer. You must be getting fat.

Nice pics. :cool

The Po Thead

Post by The Po Thead » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:24 pm

Looks like a terrible time.

:cool

So, when's the Alaska Trip?
"Fuck life is brutal, and the learning curve hard and unforgiving." - SLSS

421sd

Post by 421sd » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:55 pm

Sucks you got Occu-fucked. I wanna be like this when I grow up and retire. :cool Liking the thought of a Streamer when that time comes...

speybait

Post by speybait » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:23 pm

I like all of that.
""Who wants an orange whip? Orange whip? Orange whip? Three orange whips!"

fatman

Post by fatman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:23 pm

real good :smile

I've got an address in SW Ohio we can give those homeless.
They'd fit right in.... :wink
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop