The Old Home Place (no fish were harassed in the making of this TR)

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
ncguy

The Old Home Place (no fish were harassed in the making of this TR)

Post by ncguy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:33 pm

Friday afternoon I get a phone call. It's Vaku.
"What are you doing?"
"Working, what are you doing?'
"Shopping. What are you doing tomorrow?'
"Watching Waylon."
"All day?"
"All weekend."
"Oh, Socks and I have some shooting to do outside Lenoir tomorrow."
My mind tries to imagine what photo project the two would be working on together, especially in the Lenoir area. My thoughts are broken by,
"I've got about four hundred bucks of clays and ammunition in my shopping cart right now."
"Oh, I'm in!"

The old home place. The first time I heard those words I wanted to be a Southerner. As a child who moved a lot I yearned for that sense of permanence. A sense of place. Forty-five years later I'm still called a Yankee. Anyway met to go shooting at an old home place. For those that don't do Instagram or the Facebooks, here was Vaku's post about that place.

The man put the flag on his house just the way he wanted it to be. It was the house where his grandparents lived. It is a few miles down off a main road. On a paved road that wasn't always paved. It is a house built by the people who lived in it. They dug a 'tater cellar into the mountain next to it. Built a workshop where things were fixed instead of thrown away. More than one family was raised in this house. I visited it on a rainy afternoon with the great great grandson of the man who built it. That flag, this faded glory, has been next to the front door since he was a child. I was privileged to be there, I could feel the lives that had been spent there.
flag.jpg
flag.jpg (320.78 KiB) Viewed 495 times
This is the spoon that has kept the latch closed on the workshop as long as he can remember. A splock.
splock.jpg
splock.jpg (507.83 KiB) Viewed 507 times
Inside the workshop. Canning jars still full.
canadadry.jpg
canadadry.jpg (236.56 KiB) Viewed 507 times
This is the 'tater cave'
tatercave.jpg
tatercave.jpg (886.56 KiB) Viewed 507 times
Some of it has collapsed and it no longer holds taters. It holds fatwood, pitchwood or lighter knot.
lighterknot.jpg
lighterknot.jpg (744.98 KiB) Viewed 507 times
We were just meeting here. We were shooting on a nearby parcel of land that was recently logged. This required one stream crossing and a short jaunt down the logging road. Intel from one of the lumbermen said the road was clear.
loggingrd.jpg
loggingrd.jpg (515.65 KiB) Viewed 507 times

As the road became blocked with deadfall we realized maybe Socks misinterpreted the intel. It may very well have been the road needs to be cleared.
A machete was going to take awhile.
machete.jpg
machete.jpg (293.04 KiB) Viewed 507 times
Thank goodness the consummate suburbanite just happened to have a chainsaw, that was recently serviced,in the back of his Jeep.
clear.jpg
clear.jpg (814.93 KiB) Viewed 507 times
We finally make it to our destination and unload Vaku's and Sock's goodies. Several shotguns a couple of hand guns, ammo, clays and a brand new clay tosser.
stuff.jpg
stuff.jpg (632.64 KiB) Viewed 507 times
Let's not waste these on targets.
hollowpt.jpg
hollowpt.jpg (485.9 KiB) Viewed 507 times
First order of business, put together the spring loaded clay thrower. That went very well. Until we tried to throw the clays. Configuration one involved the thrower planted into the ground. After 732 adjustments to arm tension and pigeon placement, we tried configuration two. The thrower bolted to a spare tire. After an additional 400 adjustments in this configuration we got one of the clays to fall a full fifteen inches to the side and possibly slightly in front of the thrower.
config1.jpg
config1.jpg (721.22 KiB) Viewed 495 times
pull.jpg
pull.jpg (697.86 KiB) Viewed 507 times
I had to learn banjo. TX
Don't let your sheepfucking ruin the best imaginary relationships you're ever gonna have.-Befuddled
Red has enough good karma in storage that he could start an online business selling it to the world's assholes. Rancho Pancho
if the trip kills you, you won't live to regret it. JT

ncguy

Re: The Old Home Place (no fish were harassed in the making of this TR)

Post by ncguy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:08 pm

It should not be this hard or take this long to do a fucking TR!
We shot a bunch of ammo and broke more clays trying to get the thrower to work than we did with lead.
cab.jpg
cab.jpg (321.22 KiB) Viewed 489 times
brokeherdown.jpg
brokeherdown.jpg (463.44 KiB) Viewed 489 times
grin.jpg
grin.jpg (289.91 KiB) Viewed 489 times
guy.jpg
guy.jpg (284.31 KiB) Viewed 489 times
ncguy.jpg
ncguy.jpg (426.65 KiB) Viewed 489 times
smoked.jpg
smoked.jpg (215.43 KiB) Viewed 489 times
socks.jpg
socks.jpg (492.67 KiB) Viewed 489 times
socksflash.jpg
socksflash.jpg (365.04 KiB) Viewed 489 times
vaku.jpg
vaku.jpg (696.78 KiB) Viewed 489 times
vaku2.jpg
vaku2.jpg (601.25 KiB) Viewed 489 times
I had to learn banjo. TX
Don't let your sheepfucking ruin the best imaginary relationships you're ever gonna have.-Befuddled
Red has enough good karma in storage that he could start an online business selling it to the world's assholes. Rancho Pancho

fatman

Post by fatman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:15 pm

burnin' powder, slingin' lead :smile
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:05 am

guns are gay.
mate, it's ryan says... and ryan didn't say.
you're out.

ncguy

Post by ncguy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:50 am

We returned to the old home place, toasted a successful day. There were chainsaws, machetes, fire arms, logging roads in the rain,
a creek crossing, putting together a spring loaded tool but there was no blood spilled,digits lost,vehicles stuck or hospitals visited. For this crew we'll take that as a win. We also decided we needed new stickers, "WHY YES I still do hillbilly sh*t". Thanks guys for a great day.
toast.jpg
toast.jpg (339.85 KiB) Viewed 366 times
new.jpg
new.jpg (524.58 KiB) Viewed 366 times
I had to learn banjo. TX