Tom Petty RIP

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Randall Dee

Re: Tom Petty RIP

Post by Randall Dee » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:26 pm

Did he get shot in Vegas?

BobLoblaw

Post by BobLoblaw » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:14 pm

RFA wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:07 pm
EDIT:

I first got into Tom Petty in the early/mid 90's. I knew of him and liked his songs, but he became a staple of my days while working, and I will never forget how one of his songs coming on the work truck radio used to psych me up.

I drove an auto parts truck for 2 years, circa 1996-97. The job paid shit, and the trucks were questionable at best from a safety standpoint, but it offered freedom and exploration that a 19-20 year old rarely gets while being paid.

The store was located in Jersey, Son's Auto. Local joint. The 4-5 kids I worked with scrambled for the unreserved trucks at 6:30AM while the "made" dudes drank coffee. They had the prime trucks, which were still pieces of shit, but they had AC, or stick shift, or a cab on the back (a must for long range runs with high dollar parts, meaning more time away from the shop).

I gradually moved my way up, it only took 2 summers. I had a toyota tin can with a cab on the back, and had runs across the Ben Franklin into Philly, DEEP into Philly. The thing was reliable, and had a working FM radio. I had my list of songs that I wanted to hear, and Tom Petty was at the top of the list, American Girl, etc. I would be flooring my shitbox down some ghetto street in North Philly, blasting TP, smoking camels, thinking about going drinking that night.

I developed a relationship with all of the dudes I delivered parts with, mutual suffering. They would bullshit with me, jokes, etc. I use that same skill when I head into the seedier parts of Schenectady, and have made a lot of connections. My buddy tries to do it, and is met with skepticism. He can't understand how these dudes don't understand him or his jokes, yet treat me like I am their best friend.

experience.
Thanks for that.
First thing I thought when I heard the news was, "OMG! Tom Petty died! Him can we make this about how fucking cool Raffa is???"

RIP Tom.
"Walters brook trout. Roots steelhead. Thalwegs tarpon. Loblaws cutthroats.

The list continues to grow..."
-Fatman

RFA

Post by RFA » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:49 am

I should have stopped at the second paragraph. Sorry, that was a stupid comment. Sometimes I just keep typing when I need to stop (applies to about 96% of everything I write)
As it turns out, God? He was a squirrel. A big 'ol meaty one. "I found god, he used to say"

Deadwestern

Post by Deadwestern » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:06 am

Fuck me man. RIP

Transylwader

Post by Transylwader » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:49 am

The past 14 years of my life in chronological order...:-(
Little runaway
Refugee
I won't back down
American girl
Learning to fly
Free fallin'
You don't know how it feels
Breakdown

One of the greats. Rest easy, Muddy Wilbury :cool
knock up a shop owners daughter. drake dudes will send money.

fatman

Post by fatman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:38 am

I was never a huge Petty fan, but his songs were always hits and had catchy lyrics. So from the time I was in high school, until today, whenever you tune in a rock station, you were bound to hear a Heartbreakers tune. And without even knowing it, you probably knew the lyrics, at least of the chorus.

What better tribute to a guy than you could sing along without even trying.....
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

McH

Post by McH » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:26 pm

Punch in the fucking gut.

What impressed me the most, other than everything thing else about him, was how many legends he collaborated with.
Dylan, George Harrison, Johnny Cash, Clapton, Roy Orbison. etc, etc

To Petty :cool
RIP

you know what i am a strong fan of..... fishing and not being a douche bag. - alteredstates

For fucks sake, its just fishing...it ain't that cool. - Vito

Who the fuck comes home from fishing EARLY? A guy that whipped deserves to get cheated on.- yard4sale

Lurgee

Post by Lurgee » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:59 pm

One of the best
"Fried Chicken for President!" Trucha del Mar

"Sweet Jesus... untold hundreds of linear miles of pristine trout water within pissing distance, and you cocksuckers went fishing for carp?
What's next? A Wang Chung show? Ajax

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:18 am

ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

BobLoblaw

Post by BobLoblaw » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:37 pm

RFA wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:49 am
I should have stopped at the second paragraph. Sorry, that was a stupid comment. Sometimes I just keep typing when I need to stop (applies to about 96% of everything I write)
Well said.
I also would have accepted any version of "Go fuck yerself!"
:cool
"Walters brook trout. Roots steelhead. Thalwegs tarpon. Loblaws cutthroats.

The list continues to grow..."
-Fatman

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:57 pm

good fuck yourself, mate.

-austrian version
49% of americans assume I give a shit about what they think.

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:45 pm

Isbell layin it down with aplomb here-

Buy better hooks and bourbon.