Tom Petty RIP

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Bruiser

Tom Petty RIP

Post by Bruiser » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:09 pm

I think I was a junior - washing pizza pans really late at night at Shakey's Pizza - washing dishes enabled me to listen to the radio.

Pretty amazing that I still remember the first time I heard Tom Petty.

That sounds awesome in my ears!! (P-A)

we were basking in goodness here with our everyday drivel that we enjoy.... the rest of this is horseshit, flybug.pa.

Woolybug25

Re: Tom Petty RIP

Post by Woolybug25 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:21 pm

Bummer.

One of my favorites. RIP
"All mountain hippies are as young as they day they were born, smarter than Einstein, better looking than Tom Selleck and could outfish an army of pinners." - foureyedgeek

www.hiptothesip.blogspot.com

RockyMtHigh

Post by RockyMtHigh » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:34 pm

Hell of a week...
wait...what? fuck - Fatman

Spicytuna

Post by Spicytuna » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:37 pm

A Legend of his time.

this is a shitty time that I hope can find a way to turn around.

This song got me through countless night driving shifts while fishing my way from San Diego to Cabo and the return trip as well.

His Pandora radio is my go to for fishing.

Sip will be poured
"In truth you can throw dries and swing flies and still be a loser. That would be an elite loser though.
Rare breed." - MTgrayling

"You guys know the Magic Hour???? Yeah it just happened I was there!!!" DK

Blicero

Post by Blicero » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:58 pm

What a horrible, shitty day this is
"Tell your God to ready for blood"

RFA

Post by RFA » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:07 pm

EDIT:

I first got into Tom Petty in the early/mid 90's. I knew of him and liked his songs, but he became a staple of my days while working, and I will never forget how one of his songs coming on the work truck radio used to psych me up.

I drove an auto parts truck for 2 years, circa 1996-97. The job paid shit, and the trucks were questionable at best from a safety standpoint, but it offered freedom and exploration that a 19-20 year old rarely gets while being paid.

The store was located in Jersey, Son's Auto. Local joint. The 4-5 kids I worked with scrambled for the unreserved trucks at 6:30AM while the "made" dudes drank coffee. They had the prime trucks, which were still pieces of shit, but they had AC, or stick shift, or a cab on the back (a must for long range runs with high dollar parts, meaning more time away from the shop).

I gradually moved my way up, it only took 2 summers. I had a toyota tin can with a cab on the back, and had runs across the Ben Franklin into Philly, DEEP into Philly. The thing was reliable, and had a working FM radio. I had my list of songs that I wanted to hear, and Tom Petty was at the top of the list, American Girl, etc. I would be flooring my shitbox down some ghetto street in North Philly, blasting TP, smoking camels, thinking about going drinking that night.

I developed a relationship with all of the dudes I delivered parts with, mutual suffering. They would bullshit with me, jokes, etc. I use that same skill when I head into the seedier parts of Schenectady, and have made a lot of connections. My buddy tries to do it, and is met with skepticism. He can't understand how these dudes don't understand him or his jokes, yet treat me like I am their best friend.

experience.

LA Fly Guy

Post by LA Fly Guy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:39 pm

Shit.

These guys are running out of empty rocking chairs.

stillsteamin

Post by stillsteamin » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:40 pm

What a piece of shit monday
"There's nothing more overrated than a piece of ass and there's nothing more underrated than a good shit." -Glen Blackwood

Palometa

Post by Palometa » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:46 pm

Shitty shitty day, all the way around....

Protect WYDAHO fish & game, fence out Utah.

Bobwhite

Post by Bobwhite » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:19 pm

Fuck.

I had no idea he was gone.

In my world he's right there with Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan Townes Van Zandt, and Neil Young.

What a loss...

I hope he's rockin' it with his friends right now...
"Why in the fuck did I miss this place? It's like missing a raging case of the clap."

"Make it matter, fuckos." jhnnythndr

" Herre jävlar vilka fiskar!!" P-A

"I'm no saint though, nor a judge. Rock that shit good and hard, and on your way out, wipe your dick on the curtains." - Kyner

Jed

Post by Jed » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:38 pm

One of my favorites:

I remember driving with my kids on long trips listening to this album. Wonderful music.

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:05 pm

Then there was that time he translated for Dylan
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... 0039?snl=1
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing