Peeing off the porch....TR

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
cornholio

Peeing off the porch....TR

Post by cornholio » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:57 am

Got an invite from Joe recently.

"Let's head up north and pee off the porch of Wayne's cabin!"

Hard to say no to that as this has been on my bucket list for awhile now.

And pee off the porch I did. Fuck them rules.

On trips like these, booze and food stuffs are on top of the priority list. Everything else is optional. Well, maybe throw a foldy chair in there.
I got to the cabin early Monday afternoon and Joe was already settled in. So we sipped some scotch and smoked some stogies. Eventually the sun slid below the treeline and we decided we might as well fish for a bit.
It was a tough hike to the river. We had to climb down the cabin stairs, walk thru a narrow pathway, cross the street and took ten steps down to the river's edge.
We made it in one piece and Joe went to work.
"Let me show you how a pro-staffer gets it done."

"Cheers to that, broseph!"

And got it done he did:

That got me a bit excited so I gave it a shot. Lots of big October caddis fluttering around so I tied up a size 16 emerger to match the hatch. Caught absolutely nothing.
Might as well have some dinner with Joe and his buddy Wayne. Finished off the night with more beers and scotch.
Early 9am start the next day. After a hearty breakfast of eggs over easy, bacon and toast and a nice hot shower, we were off to a famous river to the east of us.
Went down this bumpy ass road with another car tailing us the whole way. Then we got stuck behind another truck on the way to the parking spot. And once we got to the parking spot, there were already 7-8 cars there. On a freaking Tuesday morning.
Yeah, nah.
We turned around and veered off this dirt road that led to a primitive camp site next to the rivers edge. Cracked a couple of beers and took in the scenery:

It was close to noon when we finally got on the water and fished. We caught absolutely nothing.
So we cracked a few more beers. Joe found some fuzzy ground worms and a decent pile of firewood.

We loaded up the firewood on the the truck. Joe then set-up his hammock and we took turns taking power naps. We decided to go back to the cabin later that afternoon and fished some beautiful water accessed from the train tracks:

It was Joe's turn to make dinner and he served up a feast that night:

It started off with this:

Then some of this:

Kick-ass chili:

The whole spread. Not quiet enough food:

Had another great dinner with Joe and Wayne. Later that night I started to get the chills and queasy stomach. Austrian plague symptoms. Nothing a little scotch and warm wood stove fire can't cure. Went to bed early that night to rest up for the next day's adventures......

austrotard

Re: Peeing off the porch....TR

Post by austrotard » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:57 am

$5, pedro.
49% of americans assume I give a shit about what they think.

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:58 am

Nicely done, anxious to see more.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

fatman

Post by fatman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:27 am

so far so good :smile
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

ironman

Post by ironman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:39 am

lemme guess.... sucks-it was the twat tailing you to the river.

ida never figured that water to be so deep, and we see you've found the Austrian's fancy glasses.
"if you don't understand the perfect logic of this, then you may as well fuck right off Teh Suk" - Fatman

"I took a Japanese whaling approach to panfishing as a kid." - Boomin

Lando

Post by Lando » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:56 am

I sure hope Joe talked with the horse lady prior to your trip.
If my tombstone reads, "He never ate sushi." it won't be a lie, and I'll be OK with that.

~Average Joe

cornholio

Post by cornholio » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:05 pm

Recovered nicely from some serious food coma the night before. Joe's meal was just freakin awesomely delicious. And cabin life is the shit. Nothing like having access to a full kitchen, running water and a full bathroom with a shower during a kick ass trip. And with a cool owner to boot. There was serious debate about scrapping the camping portion of the trip and just use the cabin as basecamp the rest of the trip. But not spending some time overnight in the woods during a multi-day trip would be kind of ghey. So after a nice hot breakfast and hot shower, we packed all our shit, said our goodbyes to Wayne and headed east.
Another early morning start. On the road by 1030 and arrived at an empty campground just before noon. Cracked a couple of beers, set-up all our shit and had a light lunch of cold cuts and cheese. We then started a fire and cracked a few more beers. We eventually decided to get some fishing done while there's still some daylight left. Went to a spot with fairly 'easy' access. After crossing a couple side channels and some bushwhacking we safely made it to a nice fishy looking run.

Joe didn't waste any time and started sticking fish right away:

I didn't get pics of most of his fish since we were spread out. But I had a nice view of Joe in action. Seems like every time I looked over his way, his rod is bent. And continuously puffing on his stogie. Pro-level shit.

I got a few myself:

I even hi-holed AJ and stole some of his fish:

Them fish were some serious chunkers:

Not a bad couple hours of fishing. Started to feel a little hungry so we headed back to camp for some dinner and drinks.

Some dessert:

Got a nice warm campfire going. It was a gorgeous, mild fall night out in the woods. Had a great time hanging out with Joe, trading tall tales by the campfire while sipping on some fine single malt beverage and puffing on some tasty cigars. Living like kings:

Hit the sack just a little bit after midnight to get a few hours of sleep before our last day on this adventure...

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:20 pm

The good shit right there.

Those are some healthy fish for that place!
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

BobLoblaw

Post by BobLoblaw » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:43 pm

:cool
So far, so good. Them's some seriously thick fish! Looking forward to the next installment...
"Walters brook trout. Roots steelhead. Thalwegs tarpon. Loblaws cutthroats.

The list continues to grow..."
-Fatman

Average Joe
Location: Where they rip out the trees and name streets after them.

Post by Average Joe » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:41 pm

Edit: the Drake technology team has yet to solve the problem I keep having when posting TR's and photos. Maybe it will work this time.
I haven't done much fishing recently. Truth is I haven't much thought about it. I've been content to work around the house, spend more time with my folks, and avoid computers, crowds, commuters, and florescent lights whenever possible.

In October I got the urge to alter that routine, so I contacted Cornholio and asked him if he'd like to join me on a trip up north. I warned him that we'd be fishing for trout - small trout - on rivers that received a fair amount of pressure. Most fishermen would rather chase stripers or steelhead this time of year, and so it surprised me when he responded with, "Hell yeah! I'm in!" Augustwest, Spicytuna, and DizzyDean were invited as well, but they were unable to get away.

I was expecting cool weather, so the week before we were scheduled to leave I cooked up some appropriate dishes and put them in the freezer.

Ham hock and bean soup...
1.JPG
1.JPG (156.51 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
... and meat and beans, augmented with some of K_P's excellent homemade spices.
2.JPG
2.JPG (207.77 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
I even tied up some flies.
3.JPG
3.JPG (299.29 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
I started putting together a gear pile...
4.JPG
4.JPG (217.18 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
... and the day before departure, I smoked up some ribs.
5.JPG
5.JPG (360.22 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
That night I loaded up the truck...
6.JPG
6.JPG (133.64 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
... and spent the following morning putting bugs on the windshield.
7.JPG
7.JPG (71.09 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
8.JPG
8.JPG (116.51 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
9.JPG
9.JPG (155.92 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
10.JPG
10.JPG (103.31 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
I left early to avoid the commuters and arrived well before Cornholio, so I went to town and replaced some of the stuff I'd donated to a couple of Drakians back in July.
11.JPG
11.JPG (191.42 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
Afterwards I stopped by the local fly shop and bought some shit I didn't really need, and then set up my chair and waited for Cornholio down by the river.
12.JPG
12.JPG (241.13 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
13.JPG
13.JPG (391.26 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
I knew Cornholio liked Balvenie 12 and remembered to pack a bottle, along with some new glassware to replace what Mitch borrowed the last time he visited: a trick he must have learned at the Rustbelt Bake.
14.JPG
14.JPG (135.06 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
Cornholio arrived sometime after 1:00 PM, and after getting out of his truck he pulled out this.
15.JPG
15.JPG (270.33 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
"Every once in awhile you need to treat yourself to the good stuff, man. Nobody else is going to fucking do it."

"So what do you want to do? We can go get something to eat, or we can fish here, or we can drive somewhere else."

"Fuck that. Right now all I want to do is pee off the porch, smoke a cigar, and have a few drinks."

Done...
16.JPG
16.JPG (404.39 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
17.JPG
17.JPG (163.47 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
... and done.
18.JPG
18.JPG (262.62 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
It was unseasonably warm up at the cabin, so we took our cigars, cocktails, and foldy-chairs down to the river.

The late afternoon melted into early evening, and ever so gradually, trout started rising.

The air was filled with big orange caddis flies, and after giving me first crack at the fish, Cornholio went to work.
19.JPG
19.JPG (372.98 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
I'd done an excellent job of putting down everything within a hundred feet of us, so we jumped in the truck and visited one of Mitch's swimming holes.

Two guys were fishing it from the opposite bank, so we went upstream and tried our luck there.
20.JPG
20.JPG (94.71 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
Eventually we lost the sun and the bats came out, so we packed it in and went back to the cabin, where Cornholio turned out a magnificent feast: egg rolls, chicken wings, braised pork belly, noodles, and steamed rice.
21.JPG
21.JPG (152.63 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
22.JPG
22.JPG (128.86 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
23.JPG
23.JPG (148.45 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
24.JPG
24.JPG (175.97 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
Wayne joined us, and then took a plate to go, and there was still enough food left for a dozen people.

After dinner we built a fire in the wood burning stove, had a nightcap or two, and then turned in.
Last edited by Average Joe on Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stillsteamin

Post by stillsteamin » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:06 pm

Quality whiskey, good food, trout. Fine I guess, if you're into that sort of thing.
"There's nothing more overrated than a piece of ass and there's nothing more underrated than a good shit." -Glen Blackwood

Lando

Post by Lando » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:09 pm

I received awful news about the horse lady via email....................I am deeply saddened. Joe, I am glad to see that you at least mowed the lawn for the wife's birthday.
If my tombstone reads, "He never ate sushi." it won't be a lie, and I'll be OK with that.

~Average Joe