Camp 7 tr

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
LTFI

Camp 7 tr

Post by LTFI » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:12 pm

Cant say I've been busy but have certainly lacked motivation to try and get this tr posted after a failed first attempt. Testing out imgur for the first time, the attachment method is easier but trying to post a lot of attachments seems to be the recipe for tr meltdown. Anyways here we go...

Last year about this time I crossed paths with an old friend who recently moved back to town. We had worked together when I was fresh out of high school. He taught me the important lessons of how to hide out in the back shop bathroom when your too hungover and how to avoid work altogether when you had to "study" for a test in ______ class. He also taught me a lot of the trade and set me up for the job I pursued for the next decade. He graduated and got a big boy job up in Seattle where he also picked up the fly pole.

When he moved back he really wanted to learn more of the local spots that often go overlooked in your own backyard. I was happy to oblige and showed him some of my favorites (he made a few appearances in the meadow trs). He seemed to get "it" and after a while fishing with me he inevitably herd stories of Montana and meat eating browns that come out to play in the fall. Late in the summer we threw a plan together to make such a trip.

Originally there was three of us, my buddy who had brought me out years before planned to join us but work got in the way and he had to bail last minute. It changed the vibe of the trip and in a lot of ways this trip should have never happened, broke, truck needs work, pinched nerve in my neck that I'm still dealing with, a summer filled with a lot of shit thrown my way, and now bringing a rookie along on my own. I really doubted I would make it physically and mentally but the departure day arrived and fuck it, might as well go to a place I love and try and get my mind right.

We were all set to leave after a class the rookie teaches Wednesday night so with the day to kill I fired up the smoker. Later we packed the truck and got on the road.

Made it to Jackpot at around 4 am and could barely keep my eyes open, we swapped seats and made it about 30 miles before both of us needed to crash. My neck was so stiff there was no chance of sleeping in the front seat so I pulled out my sleeping bag, laid the tailgate down and closed my eyes listening to the semis roll in and out of the truck stop. It was surprisingly comfortable considering I was using my boot for a pillow. We got back on the road and eventually the mountains got bigger in the windshield. We rolled into town grabbed an elk burger and beer, fishing licences, firewood, then made our way to tarp life camp. Home sweet home for the next nine nights.

After the long travel day we stayed close and fished around camp. It took an hour or two but I got things started with a feisty little brown out in some fast water. I was a little surprised by the chop the fish was holding in, I've fished this place a lot and for the most part the browns stay tucked into lazy fish water. I walked back to the top of the run to see if anymore were hiding in the fast water and stepped on a weird looking stick in a foot of water. Reached down and pulled out a z-axis with ross bobber rigged #guidelife rod that had been soaking for a few days (Any of you boys know a sw montucky guide missing a 6wt let me know). That was about all I needed to call it a day, finished the run headed back to camp and got into the whiskey.

I didn't take any pictures day 2 as we didn't have much to show for it. Fished a good beat that I know well, moved a few to the streamer but just couldn't get any to commit. I started to get the feeling that this trip was going to be tough, the fish just didn't seem to be in the mood. I made no mention of this to the rookie and just carried on with the "we just need some weather" talk. Both of us were just happy to be out there and the camp vibe was still upbeat. Rookie throws down on the camp stove as well.

The next morning...
I got out of the tent early day 3 and upon standing upright realized just how much whiskey we put down the night before. I did my best not to loose it in camp and after a few dry heaves and couple hits of the t weed I grabbed a rod and headed down to beat up camp water. It was a surprisingly warm morning despite clear skies and within a few cast I was into a nice rainbow. I ended up 2 for 4 in an hour or so and headed back to camp for breakfast. The rookie wasn't in any better shape back at camp but after hearing a few were caught he started to come around. Breakfast burritos, coffee and we were back at it. Before we left camp I indulged in the black bag substances I allegedly brought out, the rookie declined, suit yourself I said with a smile...
The moment psilocybin kicks in usually leads to an overwhelming urge to just sit down and take it all in...I sat and got lost in the clouds for a while. After the initial ass kicking settled down I was back on my feet and spent the next hour or so just observing how the rookie was fishing. After 2 and half days without landing a fish he was starting to press, rushing to the next spot, rushing the cast, hanging up in the bushes, frustration was setting in. I made my way up the bank towards him, he was in a run that always holds fish but just wasn't seeing the water very well. I said "hey nick make your cast off your other shoulder further upstream, good, big mend let it sink...strip"
A cookie cutter, but it was a sigh of relief for both of us.
We walked up the road, fished hard to finish the day and with a storm forecast for Sunday we were confident tomorrow was going to turn things around.
Working on part 2...

austrotard

Re: Camp 7 tr

Post by austrotard » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:29 pm

needs more genre.
49% of americans assume I give a shit about what they think.

stillsteamin

Post by stillsteamin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:06 am

Like it. Pretty creek, looks nice and quiet around there in late fall.
"There's nothing more overrated than a piece of ass and there's nothing more underrated than a good shit." -Glen Blackwood

Bobwhite

Post by Bobwhite » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:01 am

Now... that's a pot of camp chili!

Nice job... thanks.
"Why in the fuck did I miss this place? It's like missing a raging case of the clap."

"Make it matter, fuckos." jhnnythndr

" Herre jävlar vilka fiskar!!" P-A

"I'm no saint though, nor a judge. Rock that shit good and hard, and on your way out, wipe your dick on the curtains." - Kyner

Da Ax

Post by Da Ax » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:53 am

Nicely done.

Between the nasty (in a good way) looking chili and the rye, someone probably had the Hershey squirts....
The difference between decency and indecency is opportunity...

One could search their entire lives for the perfect drift, and it would not be a wasted life.

"If I owned this place and Hell, I'd rent this place out and live in Hell." -Toombs

tailchaser

Post by tailchaser » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:01 pm

not bad for a white boy
"Most of my money I spent on whiskey and women. The rest I just wasted." locogringo

"Fishing and whores... 99 percent of my brain activity." Blumpkin

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:54 pm

badass
ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

The Po Thead

Post by The Po Thead » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:53 pm

Good on ya for being able to fish on shrooms. I always ended up with a tangled line and would eventually just stare at my hands for a few hours.

Solid report.
:cool
"Fuck life is brutal, and the learning curve hard and unforgiving." - SLSS

LTFI

Post by LTFI » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:15 pm

Part 2

Woke up early Sunday morning, unzipped the tent to dark clouds and a cold breeze blowing snow in from further down the valley. It had all the makings of a wet, cold, streamer throwin type of day, just what we were looking for. Breakfast was whatever we could make faster then the coffee, throw a sandwich in the pack and get on the water.

I had been talking about this stretch the whole time and waiting for a day just like this. Its about as far from the highway as you can get on this river and is some of my favorite trout water anywhere. Pulled into an empty parking lot and follow the trail downstream. The storm that was supposed to stick around most of the day looked like it was already breaking up. Weather moves fast around here and I figured there would be more behind it...

There wasn't...Within an hour the storm blew out of the valley and it was back to bright skies and tough fishing. We covered a ton of ground and again had nothing to show for it. I couldn't believe it myself knowing just how many fish I had caught here in the past. I turned back and headed upstream to meet up with the rookie, the look on his face said it all. The frustration was boiling over, not much was said on the walk back to the truck.

We got back to camp and he was ready to go sit in the bar and watch football, I told him I was going to fish around camp until dark do what you gotta do. To be honest he was starting to get on my nerves and I'm sure he felt the same. He decided to fish and when it got dark we headed up to the bar. After a few whiskeys a good meal and a little time out of the cold we made our way back to camp. Made a fire, got into the camp whiskey and addressed the elephant in the room...
I said "look man the fishing is tough, I know its not what you were expecting but it is what it is. You gotta find a way to have some fun out here or your going to get home and regret it".
He agreed, the mood didn't miraculously change but it was a start and we made a plan to head into the park in the morning. At the very least we could check out some cool shit and be tourists.

We drove around a while checking out the scenery and eventually found an off the main drag pullout that looked like our best bet to get away from the crowds. Walked a ways from the parking lot got down to the water and the baetis buffet was open. Tons of little browns and rainbows chowing down the foam line, I swung a little softy and quickly picked off a few.

Rookie had made his way well down stream and was slapping down a big o foam something and wondering why nobody was interested...
I let him do his thing, for the next hour or two I sat in the grass smoked a bowl, took a nap, swung up a couple more, and enjoyed the sunshine. It was a beautiful day fishin in a giant volcano, what more could you ask for...

After a while it looked like rookie was done and headed back, he was downstream of me and I met him halfway down the trail back to the truck. I asked if he got one to come up to the dry? no...Well do you want to catch a fish? yes...follow me. Walked back to the river put him in a riffle and showed him the swing within a few cast he caught a dink, few more cast nice little brown, another cast fish you get the idea. None bigger than 10" didn't matter, for the first time in a few days the rookie was having fun. Whatever weight he was carrying the last couple of days disappeared and we joked on the way back to the truck, drank a few beers in the parking lot and decided to go check out a couple more amusement park rides before we left.

Thats all I got for tonight, wrap it up in part 3.

Mad_Mike

Post by Mad_Mike » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:28 pm

Nicely done... can't wait for the finish...
Mad Mike
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. - Hemingway

Leonardo DiCaprio wins at life! - Row vs. Wade

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:17 pm

You aren't fishing with Neil are you?

Loving it so far.
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:29 pm

That place is magical, and the fishing is only a small part of it. Good stuff. :cool
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."