Camp 7 tr

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
K_P

Re: Camp 7 tr

Post by K_P » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:48 am

Quality.

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:12 pm

Excellent!
That sounds awesome in my ears!! (P-A)

we were basking in goodness here with our everyday drivel that we enjoy.... the rest of this is horseshit, flybug.pa.

LTFI

Post by LTFI » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:26 am

Part 3

After the day in the park we had seemingly started over from square one. I asked rookie where he wanted to fish and he was determined to figure out some of the water that had kicked our asses the days before. We headed out to another favorite stretch of mine and I could already sense that something was going to be different...

It wasn't the fishing. The weather was beautiful, clear skies, light wind and warm sun, but the fish were still playing hard to get. Rookie just seemed determined none the less. He noticed the birds and bugs on the water, he asked the right questions and he was recptive to what I had to say. He was starting to slow down and fish, fuck everything else. He fished a streamer most of the morning and I would come back through with a softy. I picked up a rainbow and he landed a scrappy 8" brown, he threw it back before he'd let me take a photo but it was fun to see.

We were working our way upstream and I knew a spot where the baetis would be coming off thick if the winds stayed calm. When we got close I started ducking down and eventually crawled on my knees the remaining 20 feet or so. This drew some odd looks from the rookie, I instructed him to do the same. As he got to the edge of the grassy bank he understood. There were half a dozen rainbows feeding a rod length out in front of us, the kinda fish most people spook without realizing they were there. His eyes lit up, I told him he should take the streamer off as the baetis were just getting started. I made a few good drifts to the rainbows but they wouldn't take, I crawled my way a little lower down and made another pass.

A brown shot out from down deep and grabbed hold. The rookie quickly stripped off his streamer and I gave him a good size 20 i'd been swingin around.

He had a couple grabs on our way back downstream and turned to me and said "damn swinging flies is fun". I couldn't help smile and think I better wait a bit to take rookie steelhead fishing. The next couple days followed this tune, the fish didn't come easy for the rookie but those that did were earned. We showed up to throw meat but in the end took the hand we were dealt, I certainly wasn't there to stare at a bobber and to rookies credit he felt no need to either...you know not that there's anything wrong with that.

A storm blew in the second to last night and we woke up to a nice dusting. We decided to have someone else make us breakfast.

Stopped by the fly shop and as soon as someone noticed cali plates on our truck they asked if we were safe from the fires. Rookie had herd there were fires in wine and weed country back home but I don't think either of us were aware of the scope. While we were in town I checked in back home and reached out to friends near the evacuation areas. I had noticed smoke in the valley the day before that we were told blew in, its a strange feeling to be a 1000 miles away smelling your local fires. I got the all clear from everyone except a special lady friend of mine who's family land was right on the evacuation line...

After breakfast we went out to try and hit the lake run lottery. The crowds below the slide had been light all week but the lake run shit show was in full swing. Access lots packed full, I've never seen so many rod vaults. We opted for the dirt road with the fewest cars. I explained to rookie what we were after and again he was game to play. We headed in the opposite direction of the crowds and did more recon than fishing.

The main lake looks good, next time I'm bringin a bote.

We loaded up on fire wood and whiskey in town before heading back to camp. A snowstorm was forecast for the next night and we decided that this would be our last night at camp 7. We were the only campsite remaining after the last nights snow, so loud music was played, stories were told and we drank whatever remained.

Woke up to that last day feeling, a realization that another year at camp 7 was over and its time to get home. We packed up camp and headed up the dirt road for one last shot.

I watched the rookie find some water he liked, he thought about the cast he needed to make and he slid and crawled his way into a good spot to make such a cast. I watched him do what needed to be done, he was fishing.

Went from size 2's to 20's... and yeah I pinched it

I've been fortunate to have had some very skilled mentors show me the ropes along the way. Camp 7 certainly help cut my teeth years ago and I think the rookie is well on his way.

The snow started falling in the early afternoon and we got on the road. Pointed the truck south and said our goodbyes. We grabbed lunch and checked out the fly shop country clubs in island park. My phone started buzzing with missed calls, texts and emails I had ignored but the reality of going back to reality set in. One such texts however was from my lady friend with good news, the winds had kept the fire away from her property and though they were on voluntary evacuation notice her and her family were safe. Many of her neighbors weren't so lucky.

We made it half way through Nevada, found an open pizza joint and a hotel. I can't remember the last time I slept that good. Got on the road early the next morning and made it home by mid day.

In my experience the relationships formed on a trip like this go one of two ways. Either you'll never fish together again, or you are bonded in a brotherhood, there's very little in between. This trip wasn't about some exotic fish in a far away location. Im sure many of you recognize where we were, but it was a special trip none the less. The rookie and I are very different people but I'll fish with him any day. Our local opens up in a few days and plans have been made to fish it as we did a year ago, full circle.

Word aren't my specialty but I wanted to give this one an honest effort hope you enjoyed. Thanks for tuning in fuckers.

Bigguy

Post by Bigguy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:22 am

Good stuff!

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:58 am

Looks like a damn good week. Thanks!
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

Average Joe
Location: Where they rip out the trees and name streets after them.

Post by Average Joe » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:45 pm

What a fantastic trip.
LTFI wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:26 am
Word aren't my specialty but I wanted to give this one an honest effort hope you enjoyed.
Your write-up was excellent, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to make this post.

:cool

gankadank

Post by gankadank » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:23 pm

That came through nicely. Thanks for the ride
yeah; rumspringa came late.... :smile

fatman

stillsteamin

Post by stillsteamin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:16 pm

Ya this was awesome. Bonus for dealing with the rook, pain in the ass but I think one of the best things you can do for someone in life is take the time to pass on some tribal knowledge. Instagram gives noobs mostly the wrong ideas, the world doesn't need more fuck sticks with rod vaults after lake runs that'll earn them more likes (though I'd love to catch one of those fish), it needs more dudes crawling down the bank with the barbs pinched off size 20 bwo's.
"There's nothing more overrated than a piece of ass and there's nothing more underrated than a good shit." -Glen Blackwood

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:19 am

cheers, fucko.

by the time I get around to writing shit I've already forgotten it.
49% of americans assume I give a shit about what they think.

Obie

Post by Obie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:00 pm

Knowing the level of frustration and ass-pain that comes with posting a well thought out TR on here, I thank you for taking the time :cool

Ginseng Sullivan

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:08 am

I love a TR when I keep saying "i know where that is". Fine work showing it off.

Such a great part of this country and all it stands for. Folks getting out and using it for what it was set aside for. Makes it all that much harder for the people who would exploit it to steal it from us.

Tripping and fishing is indeed a younger man's sport. Glad someone is keeping the torch burning!

:cool

markl

Post by markl » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:56 am

Great read. Enjoyed it immensely.