Gravel Bar Life...TR

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
vaku

Re: Gravel Bar Life...TR

Post by vaku » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:37 pm

That was nice. Very nice.
"It is only the inexperienced and thoughtless who find pleasure in killing fish for the mere sake of killing them. No sportsman does this." - W.C. Prime, 1888

"if it floats, flys, or fucks, it's bound to be a pain in the ass..." - BigTimber

gankadank

Post by gankadank » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:11 pm

This hot mess was sighted near Roaring River SP. It's fun to imagine it cruising thru a pool under the stares of all the go-pro and vest wearing hero's. Their heads turning as the trout stamps flutter atop their stetson crushers

This is the only master angler you'll see in this post

She rang in my birthday with style. Lemon bars

We're on the make and hot for the black basses. I'm not sure my choice of matting works but these beauties hang in our living room. They never fail to make us smile

Braid was used instead of chenille. Such innovation. Is this where I rename the pattern?

I've been inspired by your reports where man plus dog do what they can to avoid can-panionship. October is a great month for gravel bars. It's simple. Get below a spring and hire a shuttle.

It feels good to have that peace. The clank and rattle of one's mind makes no music back in town. Out here the tempo slacks and the notes become less cluttered
Night one camp
A quad cab 2500HD pulls up and out comes Mom, photog, and two intendeds. They were nice enough but their appearance was annoying. As the trespasser, I offered them a shot of corn likker and wished them good luck. This drive-down access and the stupid beeves at this sight mean I'll pass this one by next time
The ditch pickles continued to chase the mud minnow on day two. Nothing big, just a steady run of what you'd call 'fun fish'
Night two was free of interlopers as I cooked the idahoans, mixed veggies and a ribeye
With my belly full, I kicked back and watched the show. I'd seen how active the critters can be under a bright moon. Next time I'll skip the tarp life and zip into a tent. On this night, I stayed up as late as I could and soaked up the weaving between the moonlight and the clouds as they obscured the stars
The last partial day was productive and brought a few more to the net
This float was a few years ago. As much I've intended to return with just the dag, I haven't been solo or back to this section of water
More recently, Red Bess and I took the paddle jon out for a 'just us' overnighter. It never ceases to amaze me how much stuff we take for a single night

This piece of graphic artistry was in the lot at the take-out
"hooked up hard down" I have no idea what that means
We went back the next weekend to the same creek along with Pro Bass and Curly. To their credit he only took two rods and he asked to borrow a frypole. I'm happy to oblige and leave him to it. He'll figure it out. He says it makes it fair for the fish. I think he's an asshole
My timing sucks
There's rocker on both ends of this boat. She can make the bow the stern and put her man on shots
And her man can become so full of beans, beer, and bourbon he steps down and destroys his favorite 5wt
She poured a consolation shot. She's good like that. By the end of the weekend I went on to break a 4wt. I've got mad skills
We soak in these springs until our bones ache
It makes the main channel feel warm as bathtub water
(photo credit ohkylee)
that's about it for our gravel bar testimony.
Come down anytime, Jeff. We'd love to float with you
Last edited by gankadank on Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yeah; rumspringa came late.... :smile

fatman

pbrstreetgang

Post by pbrstreetgang » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:30 am

THAT was excellent.
Give Red Bess and hug from me. See you soon, 'migo
Everybody knows this is nowhere...

HPFF

Post by HPFF » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:38 pm

Good stuff man...that looks like a hell of a time.
I appreciate the offer and don't be too surprised when you hear from me. Once this hot weather gives us a break and we see some temps more conducive to smallie fishing we need to get a group together and do one of these gravel bar trips in fine Drakian fashion.
"Pork on the plate and pigs in the drink." Ironman

Spicytuna

Post by Spicytuna » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:14 pm

Glad to see you guys getting out and enjoying your water.

I never knew that a whippoorwill was a real thing.

Also with the guns are there bear or tweakers in that area that raise concern, just curious.
"In truth you can throw dries and swing flies and still be a loser. That would be an elite loser though.
Rare breed." - MTgrayling

"You guys know the Magic Hour???? Yeah it just happened I was there!!!" DK

fly-chucker

Post by fly-chucker » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:31 pm

might have to visit the folks this october :cool
"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." -CC

"Get off the water you dumb asses…there is a shit storm coming." -Pancho Rancho

"Fucker compared my small stream trout weenie cast to an epileptic with Tourette’s Syndrome." -Carpe Tructa

gankadank

Post by gankadank » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:49 pm

Spicytuna wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:14 pm

Also with the guns are there bear or tweakers in that area that raise concern, just curious.
I was overcompensating. A first solo multi-night thing on a new stretch of water

pssst. keep it under your hat, but I haven't packed it on a float since the trip you saw. Oct '16

There's a pic on P1. Blue chair, table, and map. It's the same stretch two years apart but both pics have a similar layout. It was too weird to exclude

fly-chucker wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:31 pm
might have to visit the folks this october :cool
Let's hash this out soon
yeah; rumspringa came late.... :smile

fatman

peetso

Post by peetso » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:14 am

i like canoes, gods, and good times

and i like this.

:cool
"Cheer up. You are not on fire." - jhnnythndr

the borealist

-G-

Post by -G- » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:51 pm

This is what summer on the suk is all about.
Maybe we haven't drank enough Busch- Nolan

LTFI

Post by LTFI » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:43 pm

:smile

Sitting here at home, AC on full blast and still sweating all I can think of is fuk that spring water looks refreshing!

Good stuff HP and gank, looking forward to more gravel bar life.

Lando

Post by Lando » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:01 am

Tupac for Pres!
If my tombstone reads, "He never ate sushi." it won't be a lie, and I'll be OK with that.

~Average Joe

The Po Thead

Post by The Po Thead » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:08 am

That’s how it’s done.
"Fuck life is brutal, and the learning curve hard and unforgiving." - SLSS