Ascension - Rainbow Trout Rising

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Bobwhite

Ascension - Rainbow Trout Rising

Post by Bobwhite » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:30 pm

As many of you know, with the closing of Fly Rod & Reel John Gierach and I have begun contributing our collaborative column to TROUT.

This is how it works...

John sends me his columns months in advance, which affords me the time I need to conceptualize an image, gather the necessary reference material, compose the image, and execute the painting.

The column in the current issue (summer 2018) called for a painting of a trout rising to a fly. My good friend, P-A, had just the right shot and kindly gave me permission to paint from his work.

The image works best in the magazine layout as a horizontal, so it’s cropped and the image is drawn on the canvas.
1.jpg
1.jpg (187.92 KiB) Viewed 936 times
I prefer my drawings to be as detailed as possible (next image). Spending a bit of extra time in this step gives me a sense of confidence about its accuracy and composition in general. This allows me to focus entirely upon interpreting light and color, the essence of the painting.
2.jpg
2.jpg (218.08 KiB) Viewed 936 times
My palette is prepared.
3.jpg
3.jpg (127.43 KiB) Viewed 936 times
And, the oil paints are mixed into pools of color that will be needed.
4.jpg
4.jpg (179.05 KiB) Viewed 936 times
I begin with the water. I use as big a brush as possible and try to remain loose and fluid with my brush stokes.
5.jpg
5.jpg (212.07 KiB) Viewed 936 times
Eventually, the background water is blocked-in, and I’m particularly happy with the quality of the brushwork. The key is to not ‘see’ water, but to abstract what I'm looking at and reduce it to simple fields of color and value with the direction of the brushwork indicating movement.
6.jpg
6.jpg (273.64 KiB) Viewed 936 times
It’s been a good day and it’s getting late… time for a cool mug of cider! Generally, my goal for the first session with a painting is to completely cover the canvas, but in this case, I feel compelled walk away and look upon the piece with fresh eyes in the morning.

The last thing I do in the studio before locking up and walking to the house is to put my palette to ‘bed’. A few drops of turpentine are dribbled on each pool of color and then the whole thing is covered with a butcher’s tray to retard evaporation. When I return the next morning everything will be perfect, and I’ll be ready to begin again.
6.5.jpg
6.5.jpg (181.19 KiB) Viewed 936 times
The next morning I begin to paint the trout, starting with all of its spots. At a casual glance these may all appear to be black. In reality, the values, and even the shapes of these spots are much more complex. The values range from black and dark gray to a much lighter gray, depending upon the water, or wetness we’re looking through to see them. Additionally, as the spots move from horizontal to vertical planes their shapes flatten and they become more elliptical.

The values, shapes, and edges of these spots will be adjusted and fine-tuned as the painting progresses, but in this stage I’m happy to just put paint onto canvas and get close.
7.jpg
7.jpg (248.5 KiB) Viewed 936 times
The next step is to define the area of the trout that is out of the water, but still wet and highly reflective. The value of this area is lighter than the rest of the fish, which we see through the water, because it is reflecting the unseen sky, and consequently it’s the same color and value as the sky reflected on the water.

The pectal fin is painted with thoughts of leaded stained glass. Spots are lightened in areas below disturbed water and reflected light, and color is pushed onto the back of the fish.
8.jpg
8.jpg (252.95 KiB) Viewed 936 times
It’s easy to become obsessed with detail, and it’s important for me to take frequent breaks from the painting and to look at it from a distance. I’ve read that the American painter John Singer Sargent had three-foot handles made for his brushes so that he could maintain a distance while making marks upon his canvas.
9.jpg
9.jpg (195.61 KiB) Viewed 936 times
The trout is further refined while reflected light is invited ‘into’ the space of the fish. This creates an abstraction of shapes and color that allows our mind to ‘see’ the fish as an object within the water, rather than cut out and pasted on top.
10.jpg
10.jpg (222.67 KiB) Viewed 936 times
Viewed from a distance the painting looks highly refined. When seen closely, however, it becomes obvious that blobs of paint and an attention to values have created the illusion of detail.
11.jpg
11.jpg (336.04 KiB) Viewed 936 times
For some reason, unknown to me, the mouth has always been the most difficult part of a fish for me to render. Consequently, it’s usually the last thing painted.
12.jpg
12.jpg (189.77 KiB) Viewed 936 times
The trout is finished. All that’s left for me to do is paint the fly.
13.jpg
13.jpg (292.83 KiB) Viewed 936 times

This is the most difficult part of the process for me, not because of any difficulty in rendering the fly… but because I don’t want to be too literal.
14.jpg
14.jpg (296.54 KiB) Viewed 936 times
Truth be told… I like the painting more without the fly, and promise myself to paint it out as soon as the image is captured and sent off to the editor. Here’s the professional capture, without the glare you’ve all had to endure.
15.jpg
15.jpg (316.41 KiB) Viewed 936 times
The digital file is uploaded from our photographer to the editor of the magazine, and a month later, it arrives.
16.jpg
16.jpg (183.81 KiB) Viewed 936 times
Last edited by Bobwhite on Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Why in the fuck did I miss this place? It's like missing a raging case of the clap."

"Make it matter, fuckos." jhnnythndr

" Herre jävlar vilka fiskar!!" P-A

"I'm no saint though, nor a judge. Rock that shit good and hard, and on your way out, wipe your dick on the curtains." - Kyner

Kfoxwyo

Re: Ascension - Rainbow Trout Rising

Post by Kfoxwyo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:54 pm

Thanks for taking along on the path of your work. Very nice work-thank you,
Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need-a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing.
-Jerome K. Jerome, 1889

Honyuk96

Post by Honyuk96 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:11 pm

Beautiful work Mr Bob White.

Bigguy

Post by Bigguy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:26 pm

Thanks for taking us along for the ride, Bob. I’m always amazed at the process, but even with the detailed step by step, I still can’t find the moment you make the magic happen...and therein lies the difference between a painter and an artist!

CarelessEthiopian

Post by CarelessEthiopian » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:24 pm

Very cool, Bob. Thanks.

I hope Dwang sees this thread.
boy in long pants

rampant

Post by rampant » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:28 pm

It was that glass of cider that brought in the magic

fallen513

Post by fallen513 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:01 pm

That’s real good Bob.

I wonder if PA ever considered turning it into a boat wrap?
____________________________________________________________________________________
I love flyfishing so much I want it to die. -thalweg

Isn't it TIME?

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:09 pm

I already knew all this stuff.
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

FredA

Post by FredA » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:31 pm

Well that was fun. Thanks Bob.

Your illusion of detail is quite detailed.

pbrstreetgang

Post by pbrstreetgang » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:01 pm

The best part of you sharing these steps is knowing the amount of heartbreak you'll go through when AD Maddox turns your work into a Cabela's rug.

I am not sure why I said that - could be the ultramarine blue I've been sniffing since the Great Waters show...
Everybody knows this is nowhere...

McH

Post by McH » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:13 am

Thanks for taking the time Bob! :bow
Can you hook me up with a paint by numbers of this??

:cool
you know what i am a strong fan of..... fishing and not being a douche bag. - alteredstates

For fucks sake, its just fishing...it ain't that cool. - Vito

Who the fuck comes home from fishing EARLY? A guy that whipped deserves to get cheated on.- yard4sale

RockyMtHigh

Post by RockyMtHigh » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:12 am

It is always awesome to see the work in process. Looks amazing!
wait...what? fuck - Fatman