wisco disco 2018 - i like turtles

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
chadroc

Re: i like turtles

Post by chadroc » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:47 pm

some of you may know that i fish pike locally. i love them. i ice fish them. i fish them with a fly rod. i started and i didn't know shit about shit. i had some tough losses, some great and terrible. i never got it really, didn't have a boat other than my canoe. couldn't cast well enough. had bullshit flies. tried for about a decade, on and off. got into the ice, hardlife and downflag. found predators. needed them on a fly rod. gotta reddington predator. tried a bit harder. planned for a wisco trip, zero to hero and all that shit. saved up cash.

this was 2016. i was a father, had young kids, had a hole to fill. tell ya that much. reached out through this shithole to brad. why not, right? small time kid, big time fella. he hit me back, and i found him welcoming and knowledgable. but moreso than that, supportive. i planned a stay with him that summer. sent him a deposit. wasn't anywhere near ready.

the chimney linings went, as did the company car. i had bills to pay and thought about the cost of flights and undoubtedly the heavy, heavy expenses incurred of living right as some pilgrim in a foreign land. i cancelled on him, and it busted my heart. but i had to do what i had to do. so i did it. i told him to keep my deposit and i'd be back. i just wanted to fish with brad. i had a feeling we'd like one another. i'm a small time guy, i ain't into the petty stuff. i wanted to get in and get close to a fish, fuck catching one. i knew he could get me a shot. that was all i was going to ask for.

brad says to me, how do you not know pogo? or something like that. the fuck is pogo i asked? he's a kid from ct and a regular up here. he's a good stick, reach out to him. he's in your fucking state, which is a small state. a year passed, i checked pogo out occasionally and when he opened up guiding for pike here in new england i was proud of him, taking that big step for a passion. i know its a hard life. i can tell. have seen it in guides i never could afford to fish with. but steve. he was living right, i could tell. i reached out and we started fishing.

steve got put on by brad, and steve put me on. i was practicing for wisco and a place i'd long looked on, al and ron linder trolling up those fucking monsters. those kids up in canada. jesus, i would think.

our fish aren't as big, but i felt that i was catching on. i learned to eight. i saw a big girl below it, it didn't bite. no occular violence. i finally got some fish. and these fish were truly inspiring to me. i was truthfully building up to fishing wisco. i had a trip planned. so steve hooked me up, he saw i needed some practice. i am not a good fisherman. i try hard, i get it done moreso with grit than with any skills. and i freely admit that.

so steve and i fished, and talked and got to know one another. first time out alone and we didn't catch shit. but it was nice to let him bomb some casts, i liked watching him cast when he'd get up first from a gentlemans break. he's a special person, he has tremendous passion and energy. i got fired up to see him, made some sweet drives up to the foothills of the berkshires to see him. and he put me on my first pike. it was a sick feeling and it was a stupid hammer handle. i was out with steve and another real solid friend. you get such good friends fishing.

we told that rainstorm to fuck off, kept chucking.

i was glad to know steve. he was a good shit. built a backyard archery range for my son out of local grassroots protest flotsam and jetsam.

got right the fuck back out there. with steve.

and this gear chucking hill billy.

caught a dope ass clam.

finally got one!

and another. this fish's take was the stuff of the rings. this fish fucked me with that take. occular violence.

we celebrated. ate a nice clean chicken wrap. had some special butter on the side. hands down the dopest local soda you ever tasted outside of paul walls exotic pop fridge down in houston.

peep my pricey shades. i always try to bring a decent snack for a guide. it feels good to give back more than money to folks sharing with me. i know this is a debate that tranny may molest me in. its all good. see also:

he saved my life ya know. thirty years ago. i was knifed at a bizarre in calcutta, and he carried me to the hospital on his back.

who stabbed you?

he did. there was a price on my head, and he was a hired assassin. stuck me in the gut with a shiv.

i was satisfied to watch scott, he put down the swimbait rod and picked up the two hander.....he is a wonderful human being, he was trying to learn some opst head shit for his regular trips to some waters far north of us. where he finds his rings.

he's caught a million fish, a million ways, he didn't really give a fuck to catch and missed a fish on his first cast with a spinner bait. he goes, they got pickerel in here? nope. didn't see a sniff rest of the day. and i was glad he was able to see me land a couple pikes. he's a good solid man of my fathers generation. the type of man my dad would have said he liked the cut of his jib. pogo is the same. a really good person.

my man holding it down in the trenches, suckless.

stuck my lucky fly in the wood. aw fuck. 9' down. i had to do what i had to do. how cold was it? scott asked. cold. i said.

really memorable times. really fun, that fellowship.

really pretty water.

jet, so so dope.

kicking back and happy.

pogo gets to keep hands on this motherfucker until 12/31/18 - and i know he's gonna stick a fish on it when he's out in wisco. i just know it. but if that punk bitch hangs it up, he damn well be going down for it.

this place sucks. fuck off, we're full. i don't think i've listened to much WSP.

got home mad late.

undertook a creative endeavor. sold all 101 copies. parr marks, motherfucker. manned up, done give a readin. i could read real good. was special. kids danced with me to the song in story 19.

donated a buck a book, 50, to my town's library. had a party after the reading but no one showed up. well, 7 of us did. if anyone else did? we'd a tole em to fuck off we were full.

needed a boat upgrade.

bought a boat, a 55# thrust, and 4.5hp. fuck it. go all in. 14' john that i'm gonna build to savage pikes. i named it the river marin springs eternal after my kids, and a genius. good mojo on this bitch, got it from a guy who arguably caught the state record walleye back in teh winter but the fuck released it. my buddy e.

got home mad late.

fuck it. go on foot.

picked up some dinner for the "guide" who ain't guiding at this point, but he's teaching. like he learned from his father, and so on and so forth.

get right the fuck back out there. get ready. wisco trip coming. start texting with these fellas. dag. good people. stopped for carp on the way since pogo was fashionably late. or were we? fuck a carp, hey. ate lunch first at raekwon's porch and hit the road with a freshie.

got into some fish thanks to brian's dope ass smallmouth swap shit. i did a sick over rock mend to keep the popper in the flow of a trip and the bass came outta nowhere and we were on the board. pre piking, you understand. many many giggly trees.

got up courage. i swear by this stuff. my wife will sell you some. i must say i wore this stuff all over me, draped in valor on 8/3/18. love it.

boom. stripsetstripsetstripsetstripsetstripset. yup.

wiccaphasespringseternal. magicpractictioner.

raekwon is a hella stick. and a lefty. which is so nice.

so dope to see him get a fish, even a small one. TSA.

" " illington

ate those money ass sandwiches.

in beautiful country.

trust me. on the sticks, i'm no tranny. #wayworse #calcuttaprodealshades

of course i swam.

still chucking that lucky fly. fays dade.

till darkthirty

and beyond

fays dade. memories made. stayin sane. yeh, i was ready for wisco.

Last edited by chadroc on Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
holding it down on the other side of the border

enjoy your catch (it died)

pbrstreetgang

Post by pbrstreetgang » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:29 pm

chadroc wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:08 pm
understand. please, that i didn't deserve it. i know it. i am so incredibly eternally grateful. my camera is charging.
you gotta stop this shit.

really.

you did the work, you caught a fish (and it died).
you deserve everything you toil ceaselessly for - if the effort is there, so is the reward. You got the reward (it's dead) so do the maths.
If that fish was not destined to die at your hands, the work you had done would not have been with the depth and fervor you displayed.

Enjoy your catch (it died)!
Everybody knows this is nowhere...

Bigguy

Post by Bigguy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:40 pm

Now that’s what I’d call slow-roll foreplay. Well done!

chadroc

Post by chadroc » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:47 pm

fuk. pbr is right as rain. drink to the dead. today's swim.

chheeeeeeeeaaaaaasssss to the fuckin stud.

*<<<if tranny lived in new england, and his name was donnie>>>>*&^%$

LA Fly Guy

Post by LA Fly Guy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:45 pm

Don't let the boat go on topame.

Yep, I agree with Peeber. That sucker's dead. The rock probably jostled loose by now and the rotting carcass is floating downstream.

Such as life, these things.

Better luck next time kiddo.

I really don't know what I'm talking about but it's easier to kick a man while someone else is throwing the heavy blows than to be the only one in the fight.

Chadroc - Giving the rest of the Chads a good name.
... there are two kind of anglers, sight fishermen and the rest of you. If you don't see it first, it doesn't count. - Long Haired Dave

Bait fishermen and flatlanders that can't catch redfish spend more time fishing for specks - Redchaser

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:25 pm

I just want to say from an early point in this thread I'd knew there'd be some topless shots.

but to be brutally honest I really was expecting everyone involved to be shirtless.
anything with peebs normally involves a mutual and mild nakedness of some sort. never forget, josh.
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

stillsteamin

Post by stillsteamin » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:14 pm

austrotard wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:25 pm
I just want to say
287 more... then what, he wondered.
I still like to explore new water, but these holes and drifts and slots are like the books and records I have carried around for decades. They are not only places of affection - they are the fabric of my life. - Doug Rose

chadroc

Post by chadroc » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:15 pm

is bigger, no?

fowf

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:04 pm

how can you have any putin if you don't eat your meat?

stillsteamin wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:14 pm
austrotard wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:25 pm
I just want to say
287 more... then what, he wondered.
it goes the way of the cc where nothing dies just the once.
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

chadroc

Post by chadroc » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:29 am

day one.

my whole life i always wanted to fish the northwoods. from a kid, reading fishing mag's about pike and musky and shit. i took a plane out to minny and linked up with justin to crash out in a hotel room. it was the first time i met him in person, but in typical drakian fashion felt i'd known him for years. the hotel had space aged robotic cleaning machines and a snack machine (not photographed).

i missed the company car, but justin's dope ass truck did just fine for a pilgrim in a foreign land. since gankadank had driven umpfuck hours to get there, i was the weekend wheelman. i like that.

we barely listened to music, too much to talk about. so nice to talk live to a person you deeply respect. conversation was dead simple and i think we both enjoyed each others company. common hearts, you know.

supper club closed. oh well. not even hungry. nor trying.

we got down around the flambeau area. linked up with brad. he has always been a good shit to me, i appreciate all he has done for predator fishing from fly design, to putting people on dreams, to grinding it out as long as he has, to being an ambassador and good steward for these amazing animals. his new place drips potential and i hope to watch his dreams develop from afar and near in the future.

we didn't rush shit. sat down and talked and figured out what to do. justin and i were down for whatever. it had been cold, and we didn't give a fuck about good fishing and we know zero fucks about how to do this shit so we put it on brad asking him what he wanted to do. we pretty much set to target smallmouth but we went in the middle, musky apparently will sometimes eat on top.

new friends left and right. me sitting smack in the middle of a moment. so fucking good.

so much to look at, toilets, flies, boats, rods. trying to soak it up and learn a thing or three.

after the bullspit session was over we hit the road in the iconic land cruiser. such a dope ride. brad's 12th cruiser. note: i don't ride in non company car's.

we dropped in and i was fishing a dream. such a pilgrim.

we were fishing topwater, and it didn't take long. i got us on the board with a really nice bass (for me). since i left my pricey shades back in rhode island in my own company car, brad lent me some.

now for a guy like me, the trip was literally made at this point. i wanted one fish, got a visual eat and did well to keep the fish tight and out of the woods. i thanked brad, i was good! i wanted to get one fish on this trip, i got it. now i could really relax and just bass fish.

of course what happened next is pretty typical of me. in a weedbed a musky ate my fly. it wasn't a huge fish, but man did it want that fly. i bass set. gone. rats. all grew quiet briefly.

ya pulled it right outta its mouth. says brad.

i did indeed. that's ok! i didn't deserve it! (just getting reps really). i truly felt i didn't deserve it. brad piped up.

it ain't about deserve, he says. i put that statement straight in my back pocket. we gotta nuff bass to feel very satisfied. we rowed slow.

watching justin cast was supercool. he's way better than he thinks he is. when you get one on a drift, you suddenly badly want the guy in the front to get one too. it didn't take justin long. then we caught a bunch more and just loved the water up there.

it really felt like home. everyone had been so kind to me, the routes we drove looked familiar but the towns were farther apart. the trees were just as green as back home, but the bass were darker. i loved drifting with brad, and i am not ashamed to say it was a big moment for me. many a cold winter night i'd watch the old videos. "he says bohen, hey, i gotta job for ya. HAHAAH. you wanna run a spritz gun on a wet t shirt contest. okay. yeah i do. i do. alright, i'll put the fuckin word out. HAHAHAHAHA. i'll put the word out......."

and here i was. me, little old me (and little old justin) out with this guy who has laid down ten thousand casts ten thousand times ten thousand times out on waters where legends swim. wow. it was surreal and special. i am so glad i went out there.

the northwoods water is just gorgeous.

as it grew darker and the sun dropped below the treeline we drifted back down, all hungry as fuck. we came to the weedbed where the musky hit me on the way up. i was well aware of where we were. i tried to tell myself to stripset........the fucking fish hit me again. i did stripset, but like marlo says the iron didn't find purchase.

silence.

we drifted down away away away. i chucked the best bomb back up on that weedbed, best bomb i could throw. he wouldn't hit it a third time, right? wrong. he did. and i strip hard. and i miss again. and i smile. i didn't deserve it. but i was happy. we saw fish. we saw water, we felt better. and we were so hungry.

you get a lot of sour and it makes you appreciate the sweet in things.

for shawn.

i swim waters. i love to swim, to get the water just all around me. it felt just as i thought it would. water is water. life is beautiful. i'm so beyond lucky.

ate like a jack pine savage at the flambeau river lodge. we were the only customers up in there. luke, the bar tender / cook, is just a solid guy. we had a nice dinner and it got too late to drive down to the bake proper. we decided to crash at brads and leave in the morning.

we were tired, but good tired. satisfied. we got fish, and had a wonderful time with a real legend in the game. i have love for brad. through this site i encountered him and thus i'm grateful to teh suk. come at me, bro. kids so weak. but its true. brad was welcoming and complimentary of my writing and endeavors always. he was never too busy to respond to a big funky zero from connecticut. he helped me try to learn how to fish predators, and i am still trying.

brad put us up. justin laid out his cot in the garage bay, i took a savage dump out back and then i finally fell asleep. brad gave me the penthouse in the winny and he slept on the couch. that is what kind of guy this man is. i'm proud to have shook his hand and i consider him a friend. come at me, bro.

from squatting out back:

as is always the case for me, i was up early. it was cold, clear. i walked out to the tracks and looked east. back towards home. out towards our next stop. i felt beyond blessed. i wanted for nothing in that moment. the sun raises up slower out here. i realized that the sun had to climb over much more real estate out here in the middle of the country. i waited for it, watched it rise, and got ready to shove off for day 2.

you don't make friends like the friends you make through fishing.

Transylwader

Post by Transylwader » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:27 am

pbrstreetgang wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:29 pm
chadroc wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:08 pm
understand. please, that i didn't deserve it. i know it. i am so incredibly eternally grateful. my camera is charging.
you gotta stop this shit.

really.

you did the work, you caught a fish (and it died).
you deserve everything you toil ceaselessly for - if the effort is there, so is the reward. You got the reward (it's dead) so do the maths.
If that fish was not destined to die at your hands, the work you had done would not have been with the depth and fervor you displayed.

Enjoy your catch (it died)!
Struth, Peebers, way to shit his bed! You sound like an angry white post apartheid Saffa. I agree with you that only a winner gets a trophy, not participation awards.
Chad, you lost your musky cherry in front of a decent crowd. I'm kinda glad Peebs landed it coz I woulda done bumped that muthafucker right off!
Tally Ho!
To next years shittery, get your arse down here for Surf Donkeys. They actually fight and are good tablefare.
Dong, where is my automobile?
Let. The. Boy. Watch.
FOWF...
If assholes could fly, Raleigh would be a fucking airport - my Mum

FredA

Post by FredA » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:29 am

Spoiler alert: day two sucked. Just skip it and read day three.