wisco disco 2018 - i like turtles

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
austrotard

Re: i like turtles

Post by austrotard » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:51 pm

I, too, like fags.

but fags dinnae like me.
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

gankadank

Post by gankadank » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:13 am

She's an '01 Tundra with 240K. Just 30 more payments and she's all mine. New pads, rotors, shoes, a refresh of synthetic and

a new tailgate latch. Did you know 17yr old plastic will dry out if constantly exposed to the sun? We'd been rocking that brokeness for months and it felt good to get it fixed. I didn't vacuum the cab but I did throw in an unopened pack of nag champa to offset the smoke smell in the cab

So north for eight and half past hours to the land of minny nice. Chadroc booked a room. I stood behind this gal to check in and await his midnight landing

There was another trip to the front desk with a pic to document the state of the room and fuss over minor details

I went next door and had a pint. A little something to shake off the road burn. Then back to the room fed and glad to be immobilized with the prospect of snoozing. At 0230 the door opens and this odd yankee appears offering me a calzone. No on the snack but yes to good company. We visited a bit and passed the fuk out

In the morning it was East toward the musky lab. I gave him a spare key to the whip and he drove until we parted ways. We found some lakeside ruins

We arrive to find a hairball of kindness, skill, attitude, and hospitality. This guy's seen things. I offered some effusion about wanting to kill false casts and improve hook setting and he just smiled, paused, and said "yeah, man. Those are definitely areas we can explore"
It was the sweetest variation of 'whatever Trevor' I've ever heard. Suck less

He ties some funky mess. There's a lot to this guy. And this was only the briefest encounter. Worry not, I took them both beneath my wing and suckled them to my teet of knowledge. You know how it is. You know what goes on. The wealth that comes from fishing for five years should be shared

Dude takes this northwoodsman thing seriously. This rig has been described on this board. It's looking good and it was great to see it in person

He talked a local conventional maker into building him a pair of 10wt blackness off of loomis blanks and they're fuking beauts

He took us to his local water

It's not just the fishings. There's so much more to it. He doesn't waste an ounce of effort getting his craft to comply. It's all smooth. And when you wrap the fly line once around a log he laughs a bit. When your correcting mend compounds the clusterfuck by wrapping the same log once more, he only makes fun of it a little

Chad was one happy camper just rolling out. He didn't even try to hide it

Then he caught a chunky smallie that had been body shamed by a sunfish

It was weird to watch someone I've appreciated on the innerwebs and in print melt before my eyes but that's what he did. Cares were shrugged by all involved

And he continued to catch the fishes. Sure he missed the same toothy critter three times in the same spot of the river. But he also ripped a high back-cast past my noggin repeatedly over those first hours together on the water and caused nary a caution. I'm learning about teamwork as it relates to this individual pastime. Chadroc demonstrated and personified teamwork

Fukker loves the water. Can't keep him out of it. I'm looking forward to sharing the cold karsty springs of our local with him some day

I suk at linking video. We said goodbye to AA, provisioned and vectored east
https://imgur.com/xl0m4qq

Chadroc helped set camp like he'd done it a few times. I fixed him up with an entry rug to tie it all together. For fish camp

We lucked out with a flow rider and his pup for a neighbor

Neighbor Maxwell

I wanted to fish this steelhound fly in the worst way. It's a bug I stared at and picked out as 'the one'. And I did. Unfortunately, I rigged it to a 24' sinking line that was inappropriate for the available water and ripped the fly and sinking line off the end of this ten weight. But damn, thanks man

It took a minute to set camp and kit up but by 1445 we were ready to meet the other ne'er do wells

It's likely our tardy arrival altered their plans for what water they'd cover but they never let on. They greeted us with good cheer and walked us to a prime spot on their local like we were dignitaries or long lost family. I'll never forget that. Red Bess and I will reciprocate if any of you ever visit

Chins were scratched and lines were pointed at

Chadroc setting shite up
https://imgur.com/La9cF8l

I hung back before wading in and watched my brother build casts
yeah; rumspringa came late.... :smile

fatman

chadroc

Post by chadroc » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:19 am

gankadank's such a good fella. so glad to know him. i thought we worked super well as a team together for the weekend, and his kindness, graciousness, and class will never be forgotten. in him, i've made a trusted friend and ally. i can't wait to get down in the ozark area and put a licking on his bass, swim his rivers, buy him beers.

we said bye to this guy and put the tundra in high gear. i was the wheelman. drive it like ya stole it were my instructions. if i had stolen the vehicle i would have driven it responsibly since i wouldn't wanna attract any unwanted attention. we tailed smoke out the open windows and made tracks. wisco is beautiful country to me.

as we drove along, i saw a horse and buggy heading towards us. holy shit, says me, is that an amish? yup. says justin. holy shit, says me, get a photo. i NEVER encounter the amish. he didn't. told me about the whole "you just took a piece of my soul" thing......i contemplated that for a moment. i told him, i am glad i missed that musky 3x yesterday. i didn't wanna take what wasn't mine. granted, no musky has any religious affiliation, but still.....the mind works as the mind works. and with musky, and the prior day, i was truly just putting in my reps and building towards my ten thousandth cast. i was glad and happy to have caught bass.

we stopped for provisions, and i took a gas station bathroom bath. better. did not brush teeth, since fuck that. i was a thousand miles from home and intended to get even dirtier over the next couple days. since i had left my calcutta $12.99 shades back in providence, i purchased a dope purple and pink pair of foldy sunglasses. ah ha! better! tranny had promised me his backup sunglasses, but he was spinning round round like a top on some river somewhere else, so fuck that shit.

one of the coolest things about justin is his preparedness. i love a tight camp. i appreciate the effort that goes into maintaining a functional set of gear, well packed and organized, resourceful. he literally brought every single thing i would need to camp for the weekend. this kindness is just so incredible. i lived easy in wisco and slept like a baby in his tent. we set up, met our neighbor and his god, and then we sat down for a minute to chat. again, new friends to my left and right, smack dab in the middle of a moment.

these fellas, salt of the earth. so lucky for such new friends.

stop the presses, start the engines, lit up like a christmas tree, so so happy. we built our rods and made our way out to the river.

fred and josh. solid, solid folks. it was really great to shake hands of folks you long respected from the interwebs. you can tell a decent amount about a person from these far flung associations, and my gut has yet to be wrong. i knew i would like everyone who went to the disco, and i wasn't wrong. just good people.

as i get older, i find myself more willing to cull negative influences from my life. i take advice given: to say fuck off we're full. i replace those folks with folks like fred, josh, kevin, tranny, justin, boggs, john b, etc. common hearts, and even separated by geography i know i've got friends in them who won't fuck with me.

fred explained the situation. carp/bass/musky. i felt that since i had caught bass, what the hell. i rigged up for musky and got a piece of 100 from fred to run off the ass end. he picked the color of the b-rad fly i was to use, black and pink buford. justin got in first, then i was next and fred and josh took water down from us.

the wading was fucking horrid. it was bowling ball boulders, slick as fuck, quick current. i am not a strong wader. i got in anyhow. started chucking.

fred and josh disappeared. gankadank disappeared. all i heard was water. all my fears whispered in my deaf ear.

i was very, very tired and very, very sore. my hips were just killing me (arthritis). but i am not stupid. in looking around, i realized full well justin and i had been given the tit water in this stretch of river. i wanted to sit down even a half hour into the fishing, but fuck it. tits is tits and i honestly felt obligated to put a good flogging on those tits.

my fly became tangled in a bunch of shitty mono. i took that shit, balled it up, put it in my back pocket. i view this type of thing as a small thank you to the river, for being there and being what it is. i truly believe in karma. it ain't about deserve, no, but it is a small good thing to do a small good thing for a river.

after a while, i had adjusted my poor casting by wading further out and getting closer to the nipples within the tits. i had to wade farther out to cover the water as it deserved, and it took me time and effort to get there. i also figured that if (god forbid) a musky ate my shit, i wanted to have the least line on the water as possible when i set up on it.

it goes without saying that when you are given a gift (tit water) you owe it to those who had given it to you to work that water well. i worked slowly down the tit run, and towards the middle of the run i saw a small winkling on the far side of my casts reach. from fishing trout, i knew that the winkling was current flowing over and around a large stone in the water. the longer i watched this occur, the more i felt to myself: that right there is where i would be if i was one. i read that water well, and i put that fly all around it. ten casts in, the fish hit me.

i knew this was no smallmouth. i also knew i had to strip-set punch it in the face hard. i was so glad i had missed the fish the day before since i feel it prepared me to not miss the fish this day. i got 2 stripsets hard, and the third punch i threw i couldn't throw fully. i tried to strip, but there was no quarter given by the fish, and i was dead tight on a big, strong animal. holy shit. i said to myself.

the main objective in my mind was to land this fish so my new friends could see the fish. i mean that fully. it is true, on any trip when one is successful the group has won teh day. i wanted it so bad. i tried to wade after the fish when it moved down current but i quickly realized that wasn't possible. i made a crucial decision, i didn't let teh fish do what it wanted to do. i forced it back towards mid river. then it came all the way out of the water. holy shit. i said to myself. it had never earned the reel.

i had given the fight a couple minutes. i didn't wanna start hollering in case if i lost the fish early, i would have needed to be alone. after the fish jumped, and i was sure i was gonna see 10" of black and pink fur and feathers come flying out the mouth when it took air, after it came back down and i stayed tight with it......then i yelled for fred, josh and justin. i think i said "fellas! i need help!"

after a while, the great and terrible headshakes began. i felt the forty two inches of muscle flex and torque somewhere in the river in front of me. there were hints and rumors of a deep green below the tannic water. boiling water surfaced. it shook its head again.

it was then that i knew it was tiring and i really put the screws to it. i didn't let it rest. i began to slowly work it shallow. it took a while, and i was sorry it did since i didn't want to stress the fish (it died) but i had no choice once on the fish to do all i could to land it. as i got it to the shallows, justin emerged from nowhere. as did fred and josh. "can somebody help me.....land this fish?" i asked. then the fish breached surface again. fred laughed. josh said calmly, nice fish dude. they converged on the fish. i was tense like wire. i couldn't lose it at this point.

josh tried to take the tail, but it fussed and kicked. fred said calmly, lock it. josh got the tail. lock the jaw. said josh. fred did. holy shit. i said aloud. UNBELIEVABLE.

i had never imagined that this could happen to me. it felt (and still feels) like a dream. i could never have achieved this life dream, this synchronizing of rings, without fred and josh giving me the tit water and helping land the fish. i was and am so very, very blessed. very very grateful. we revived the fish for a while and off it went, into the nether places where when called upon equal a powerful memory to counteract many negativities that life will expose in its terribleness.

this is me, after the goldrush.

nobody wanted to fish anymore. we were done. collectively, we quit ahead. went back to camp.

as dark fell, the other disco dancers came back into camp. we had all agreed to fuck with them. hold out as long as we could. it was so good to have this big powerful secret to spill when the time was right. it was so good to shake hands of guys i respected, tranny, fly chucker, boggs. after a bit, i let slip. told tranny, "well, i caught a creek chub. on a musky fly." he looked at me sideways.

and as i showed the pictures, tranny picked me up in the air. i was a bride. holy shit, i thought, me. hard me. he told me that i had dicked a forty two inch musky in the face. i was proud of myself. collectively, we had been successful. i was so happy.

camp was fucking amazing that night. we laughed and laughed. shared all we had. ate calzones i had brought in from rhode island (best in the state, tomaselli brothers from cranston). i stayed up way late with tranny speaking by the fireside after every other (pussy) dancer had gone to bed. i didn't know i could sleep. finally, at some ungodly hour i crawled back to justin and my camp, and found that he had left the lights on for me when he himself had retired. it was a special day, eight THREE eighteen.

this dude abides.

through to the remnants. only ashes and coals when i went to bed.

lights left on, by a good friend.

i woke up in a hazy state. rings, separating. grateful and happy beyond anything i deserved in life. it ain't about deserve, right?

i was up early, having taken 2 rem cycles down. it was dead quiet in the camp.

justin had set up the french press for me to make coffee, which i did. started sipping. i couldn't sit still.

i was dirty as fuck, didn't care. i took off in justin's truck and found a disgusting boat launch i turned into a swimming hole. where dead ducks floated. didn't matter, i swam that water. took a piss in it, made it that much deeper. i saw water, i felt better.

john b showed up looking spiffy and bearing bagels and shit. it didn't matter what happened for the rest of the weekend. i was so high from this experience. so tired, in a good way, so blessed, so happy, so dirty.
holding it down on the other side of the border

enjoy your catch (it died)

B.M. Barrelcooker

Re: wisco disco 2018 - i like turtles

Post by B.M. Barrelcooker » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:33 am

Well that looks like a decent trip.
"worst that can happen is a big fat zero and a fine walk out of doors"---Chadroc

LA Fly Guy

Post by LA Fly Guy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:20 am

Here's to squeezing all you can out of the tit water :cool

Sound's like you fought him well. You gotta show those fish who's in control - or at least make them believe that you mean it. The sooner you break their will, the sooner you bring them in, do whatca do, and then let them swim off back to the darker water.

I bet that calzone tasted better than another calzone you have ever eaten. Funny how the environment and emotions change the taste of food like that.

Ya done good Pigpen. Real good. :cool
... there are two kind of anglers, sight fishermen and the rest of you. If you don't see it first, it doesn't count. - Long Haired Dave

Bait fishermen and flatlanders that can't catch redfish spend more time fishing for specks - Redchaser

johnbmadwis

Post by johnbmadwis » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:52 am

All I got was a Nickelback sticker put on my hitch rack when I wasn't watching. It stays. It will keep away people who might see some of the other stickers and think we have something in common and want to, like, talk or something. I've some crappy pics but forgot how to reduce size. With certain people, you are just as happy as they are when they have their moment. Chad is one big open heart. Hard not to love the guy. That said, had Chad done that twice, he'd have been bonked and weighted down by some of those rocks.

Gank, great to meet you. Really hope our paths cross again.
Other guys, yeah you know.
Nickelback.jpg
Nickelback.jpg (98.28 KiB) Viewed 399 times
Last edited by johnbmadwis on Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

root wad

Post by root wad » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:27 am

How did I miss this until now? A sincere thanks for the effort. Your respect for the quest and not just the outcome is truly palpable. What it is all about.
Life is a whole lot more simple when you plow around the stump.
"When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns."

Bigguy

Post by Bigguy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:06 pm

This shit’s bordering on epic!

Ruddy Duck

Post by Ruddy Duck » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:41 pm

This thread is ridiculously good.

:cheer

Honyuk96

Post by Honyuk96 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:08 pm

Love it

NeedmoreDEET

Post by NeedmoreDEET » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:53 pm

Can I party with you guys? I have extra Notre Dame vs. FSU tix - lol
I like that quote....now have someone hold your head under water until you post a proper intro....or until you stop struggling. - RFA

FredA

Post by FredA » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:24 pm

Ya know Chad, I’m gonna remember this for a long time. It was the highlight of the trip for me. This sort of thing is addicting. Not the catching so much as being part of someone else catching. I’ve been blessed over the past couple years to see three guys each get their first musky. I don’t want to say I get used to it... I fish for them all the time. And it’s not even that certain fish or situations don’t get me excited. But being part of something like that for one of your buddies... that is truly special. Each one different. Each one memorable. Chad buddy... that was a fuckin hoot. Thank you for that.