Low country weekend...

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Mad_Mike

Low country weekend...

Post by Mad_Mike » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:03 pm

I used to fish hard.. like I was angry at the fish. But as time moves forward and life gets busier, and maybe along the way I stopped being as angry at the fish, who knows. Whatever the cause, I don't fish as hard as I once did, and I find that my time on the water is less about catching the most fish, or the biggest fish, and seems to focus more on the felt rather than the seen, or touched.. it's an odd change process that I'm not entirely sure I'm comfortable with yet but I guess we will see how it plays out

Socks had messaged me earlier in the year about coming down so I looked at tide charts and we put a plan together for him to get a little lowcountry livin'.
I had met Alan a few times but we had never fished together, it was beyond time to remedy that, and we succeeded splendidly. As A side effect his coming into town gave me the excuse, and hall pass required to slide back into my old ways for a bit and fish hard.. So thats exactly what we did.

We started off Friday afternoon fishing up north. Found a few but no players. The fish have been a little finicky this year and I was worried that this may be a bad sign for things to come, but we were going to be able to fish 4 separate floods so I held out hope that the fish would get their shit together before it was all said and done.

The next morning we got up early and pushed off down south to hit some more remote water...

The sunrise was ugly as hell..

Once again we found a couple fish, socks managed to get in front of one but no love... No worries there are two tides today.. we drove back up to town and posted up on some water closer to home.. while waiting for the tide we had proper cocktails...

Socks makes a mean Cuba libre..

The fish were a bit more cooperative this night and socks managed to stab one of these finicky little fuckers...

I got on the bow and pulled the hook on one before the water got too high and the sun too low... We still have tomorrow...

The next morning we stayed close to home and fished some water I haven't been on in a few years.. it paid off.. we saw about 20 fish and both of us managed to put one in the boat... I didn't take any pictures, socks had his big fancy camera out so maybe he will share some if he sees this... I may not get to fish as much as I once did, and I don't have the same desire to stab every redfish in South Carolina in the face anymore, but it was nice for a few days to put my life on the back burner, leave the boat hitched to the rig for a few days and focus on nothing but following the tide, and looking for fish. Hope yalls weekends were as nice as mine...
Cheers fellas...

Mad Mike
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. - Hemingway

Leonardo DiCaprio wins at life! - Row vs. Wade

augustwest

Re: Low country weekend...

Post by augustwest » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:28 pm

fine drakian hospitality right there. thank you.
"Enjoy every sandwich." -- W. Zevon

LTFI

Post by LTFI » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:22 am

Nice Mike,

Skies like those and good cocktails is all I need, few fish on top of that makes for a damn good weekend.

Dig the tune too.

Ruddy Duck

Post by Ruddy Duck » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:05 am

What it's all about Mike.

:cool

LA Fly Guy

Post by LA Fly Guy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:09 am

Yep, To me, that's what redfishin' is all about.

Good stuff Mad One.

fatman

Post by fatman » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:33 pm

real good :smile
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

TX.

Post by TX. » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:19 pm

You liky my margarita recipe?
Nice TR BTW.
Which one of you fuckers has a flats skiff in the NC mountains?-southernstrain
Was there also a raft,drift boat,jon boat,and a gheeno in the yard?-Kyle

Mad_Mike

Post by Mad_Mike » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:50 pm

TX. wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:19 pm
You liky my margarita recipe?
Nice TR BTW.
it was mighty delicious...
Mad Mike
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. - Hemingway

Leonardo DiCaprio wins at life! - Row vs. Wade

fly-chucker

Post by fly-chucker » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:30 pm

You guys picked the right weekend :cheer
"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." -CC

"Get off the water you dumb asses…there is a shit storm coming." -Pancho Rancho

"Fucker compared my small stream trout weenie cast to an epileptic with Tourette’s Syndrome." -Carpe Tructa

RaZ

Post by RaZ » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:03 am

right on mike, nice stuff
"Then let us know how that goes, you smug motherfucker"

Bigguy

Post by Bigguy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:33 pm

Sure sign of maturity, Mike. The slower I go, the greater the rewards...or maybe I just appreciate them more.
Thanks for taking us along.

vaku

Post by vaku » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:58 am

Mad_Mike wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:03 pm

Socks makes a mean Cuba libre..

[/report]
I've taught the grasshopper well...... My work here is done.

That is nice TR and great fish. I'd like to do that again.

pt
"It is only the inexperienced and thoughtless who find pleasure in killing fish for the mere sake of killing them. No sportsman does this." - W.C. Prime, 1888

"if it floats, flys, or fucks, it's bound to be a pain in the ass..." - BigTimber