Reflections On A Season Not Hunted

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Bobwhite

Reflections On A Season Not Hunted

Post by Bobwhite » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:48 pm

REFLECTIONS ON A SEASON NOT HUNTED

Sometimes, I enjoy going back and reading an old essay.

I have a lot of favorites... this is one of them.

I hope reading this will slow down your day (just a bit) and perhaps, bring back a fond memory or two.

Cheers.

Last Day.jpg
"The Last Day" - oil on board
Last Day.jpg (113.84 KiB) Viewed 1003 times

“Memory is a man's real possession...In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.” ~ Alexander Smith

When I was a boy, the year was divided into just three parts. In descending order of importance they were; the hunting season, Christmas, and the rest of the year.

Once I was old enough to drive and began exploring the local river bottoms, duck hunting became my singular passion. Everything about it appealed to me. It was romantic to be awake in the hours before dawn, while the rest of the world slept. It was exciting to be on the rivers and in the flooded timber, wild and dangerous places in the extremes of winter. Perhaps, most importantly, the birds were migrants from mysterious and distant lands. I fell in love with duck hunting for the same reason I prefer to fish moving water. It’s said that you can never step into the same river twice. Likewise, a duck marsh is in a constant state of change with weather and migration.

I hadn't fully appreciated how important duck hunting was to me until, a few years ago, I gave it up for a season. The decision wasn't made lightly, nor was it welcome.

My wife, Lisa, deftly balances my passions with the precarious living I make as an artist. The second floor of our home had tipped the equilibrium, however. I’d gutted it seven years before to prepare a nursery for the arrival of our daughter, who was then six years old. My time and focus were needed at home.

Although I didn’t hunt that season, I still tasted the wind and gauged the weather every time I went to the woodshed. My snow-bound canoe hadn’t moved from its resting place under the cedars, but my heart thrilled to think of meandering through the labyrinth of channels in the marsh. My eyes still searched the evening sky.

Just as we sometimes take our loved ones for granted, forgetting the small things about them that are unique and special to us, I found that not hunting for a season inspired me to reflect upon what I love most about time in the marsh.

Certain sparks were predictable of course, like watching a pair of mallards twist through the trees to land on the brook behind the studio. Others were more subtle and interesting.

These were some of my most poignant recollections.

Waking to the sound of Luke's tail thumping in the darkness. Certainly he’d known that we were hunting; he'd watched my preparations. But, how had he known it was time to go? Had I stirred, or had he been awake all night?

The smell of that first cup of coffee; it’s different standing on the back porch in the darkness.

I miss the pre-dawn moan of the wind through the limbs of the ancient white pine that guards our home.

The dark, low, woolen sky spitting sleet, and the sound of it on the tin roof of the woodshed.

Water dripping off the end of my canoe paddle, and the reflections of the night sky, distorted by the wake of my passing.

And, the sound of gusts, coming suddenly through the flooded timber driving wind-devils across the water.

I didn’t realize how much I cherished the slow eventual greying of dawn, and the smell of wet wool, a wet dog, and pipe tobacco.

Or, the lonely calls of crows, as they paddle across the sky.

I’d forgotten about the marsh hay I’d gathered into my blind for the added insulation... grateful for the retriever beside me.

And, Luke’s whining when he spotted birds on the horizon I hadn't yet seen.

I can close my eyes and hear the ripping-silk sound of unseen ducks as they fall from the sky.

And, the sound of shot shells falling to the floor of the blind as I desperately tried to reload.

Nothing tastes as good as a nearly frozen liverwurst sandwich and a barely warm boiled egg.

I remember dusk creeping across the marsh and up the bluff. The rusty reds of the oaks deepening to ruby and orange while the shadows turned into pools of ultramarine and purple.

I miss the calling of swans, portending the last of the northern birds.

Maple leaves showering upon the river as I paddled through long afternoon shadows.

I’ll never forget the sound of snow falling on still evenings.

Or, the contentment of watching birds hang under the eave of the back porch, a perfect kinetic sculpture twisting in the wind.

I hunger for the smell of roasting duck, and the sizzle of dripping fat. The earthy aroma of wild rice and butternut squash, and the sound of a long cork pulled from a bottle of Argentine Malbec.

And, I yearn for the sound of Luke's tail on the floor as he chases ducks in his dreams.

Later, in bed, while following the twisted thread between consciousness and my own dreams, I realized that the most poignant hunting stories are written after the season’s end... just as the truest love poems are composed in the absence of a lover.

Luke's been gone for several years... but I still wake to his muzzle gently, but silently, on the bed next to my face.

There are no more ducks in the freezer, none hanging on the porch.
"Why in the fuck did I miss this place? It's like missing a raging case of the clap."

"Make it matter, fuckos." jhnnythndr

" Herre jävlar vilka fiskar!!" P-A

"I'm no saint though, nor a judge. Rock that shit good and hard, and on your way out, wipe your dick on the curtains." - Kyner

cantfishforshit.

Re: Reflections On A Season Not Hunted

Post by cantfishforshit. » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:17 pm

Very nice, Bob. I bet Luke is with you every time you go duck hunting. Now you have me craving duck breast and a nice red. I can't really afford a nice red, but you know what I mean... :cool
“I am a fisherman. The work is simple, as is my life. Still, I take pride in my work because on these waters, I may think, and reason not to."

-Hindu Fisherman

"Do you remember, Odin, when in bygone days we mixed our blood together? You said you would never drink ale unless it were brought to both of us?" -Njal

Kfoxwyo

Post by Kfoxwyo » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:41 pm

Wonderful and thanks for slowing me down-much appreciated. Kfox
Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need-a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing.
-Jerome K. Jerome, 1889

fly-chucker

Post by fly-chucker » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:38 am

Nice :cool
"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." -CC

"Get off the water you dumb asses…there is a shit storm coming." -Pancho Rancho

"Fucker compared my small stream trout weenie cast to an epileptic with Tourette’s Syndrome." -Carpe Tructa

stillsteamin

Post by stillsteamin » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:49 am

Damn that's good stuff.
They all wanna be Hank Williams
They don't wanna have to die

Honyuk96

Post by Honyuk96 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:15 pm

Not a duck guy, nor a poet but that painting is one of my faves from you Bob. Lovely work and thanks for sharing it here.

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:21 pm

Mmmmmmm, liverwurst.

I don't hunt but fishing has made me a rich man. As the grey creeps back on my 12 year old labs face I'm careful to enjoy each and every outing. And to share the last bites of my liverwurst snad.

Thanks for that Bob!
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

When your choices are between a pedophile religious zealot or a dem suddenly the pedophile religious zealot doesn't sound too bad. - PLOW

FredA

Post by FredA » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:03 pm

I enjoyed that Bob. Thank you.

Though it resonates with me as if it’s all written mostly about someone missing a good dog.

And now I’m craving a liverwurst sammich.

ironman

Post by ironman » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:40 am

FredA wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:03 pm
I enjoyed that Bob. Thank you.

Though it resonates with me as if it’s all written mostly about someone missing a good dog.
Ditto.

Most of us certainly fit that bill. Pheasant hunting this fall made me think, that the real pleasure isn't the table fare or scatterguns, it's being with the dogs working. My elder statesman, curled up on the couch beside me, farting in his sleep.

I've always wanted to go duck hunting. In fact, I have an old friend. We had grandiose plans to convert his Scott Canoe to a bad ass duck boat. But he left me with shattered dreams when he bought his childhood home on some river in Michigan, and moved his family there. The asshole.
"if you don't understand the perfect logic of this, then you may as well fuck right off Teh Suk" - Fatman

"I took a Japanese whaling approach to panfishing as a kid." - Boomin

Ruddy Duck

Post by Ruddy Duck » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:03 am

Unfortunately, my desire to hunt ducks died with my first retriever a decade ago.

But reading this brought back so many wonderful memories.

Many thanks Bob.

Brett

Mad_Mike

Post by Mad_Mike » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:27 pm

That was great bob.. You can feel the longing and heartbreak coming through it.. but a sense of calm and peace as well. Very well done.. may Luke have calm water and plenty of downed ducks wherever he is now.. :cool
Mad Mike
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. - Hemingway

Leonardo DiCaprio wins at life! - Row vs. Wade

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:26 pm

Really nice Bob. Your pictures paint 1,000 words and your words paint beautiful pictures.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing