This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By Fishwater
About 20 years ago I was sitting behind the counter in a local fly shop when a blue suburban pulled up and two guys dressed in suits got out and walked around the store for 5-10 minutes before heading back out to the suburban. Strange, I thought. About 5 minutes after that, another blue suburban pulled up and out hopped President Bush with a fly reel in his hand. He walked to the counter and said he was looking for an expert to rig up a reel a friend of his (James Baker, if memory serves) had just given him. Since I was the only employee up front, I opened the reel case to find a never used Bogdan. While I was spooling up the reel we chatted about fishing. He was going to Maine the following week and wanted to try the new reel out on brook trout (even though there are no fish in Maine). It was just the two of us shooting the shit about fishing for 10 or 15 minutes. When it was time to check out, I tried to give him a discount but he wouldn't accept it. After paying with his AMEX, I handed him his copy of the receipt. He signed it and gave it back to me, wishing me good luck in the future.
I'll always think of him as a good, decent guy and a fisherman and an ambassador for our great city.
Rest in peace Mr. President.
By Redchaser
Fishwater wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:43 pm About 20 years ago I was sitting behind the counter in a local fly shop when a blue suburban pulled up and two guys dressed in suits got out and walked around the store for 5-10 minutes before heading back out to the suburban. Strange, I thought. About 5 minutes after that, another blue suburban pulled up and out hopped President Bush with a fly reel in his hand. He walked to the counter and said he was looking for an expert to rig up a reel a friend of his (James Baker, if memory serves) had just given him. Since I was the only employee up front, I opened the reel case to find a never used Bogdan. While I was spooling up the reel we chatted about fishing. He was going to Maine the following week and wanted to try the new reel out on brook trout (even though there are no fish in Maine). It was just the two of us shooting the shit about fishing for 10 or 15 minutes. When it was time to check out, I tried to give him a discount but he wouldn't accept it. After paying with his AMEX, I handed him his copy of the receipt. He signed it and gave it back to me, wishing me good luck in the future.
I'll always think of him as a good, decent guy and a fisherman and an ambassador for our great city.
Great story. I've always thought it cool when you meet someone who is a "Somebody", and instead of talking about whatever it is that has thrust them into the public eye, they talk about the mundane or what is at hand. I friend of mine spent some time with Bobby Knight, Bobby had no desire to talk about basketball, he just wanted to talk fishing....
By markl
Redchaser wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:17 am Great story. I've always thought it cool when you meet someone who is a "Somebody", and instead of talking about whatever it is that has thrust them into the public eye, they talk about the mundane or what is at hand. I friend of mine spent some time with Bobby Knight, Bobby had no desire to talk about basketball, he just wanted to talk fishing....
Did you risk offering him a chair ;)
By Redchaser
markl wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:55 am
Redchaser wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:17 am Great story. I've always thought it cool when you meet someone who is a "Somebody", and instead of talking about whatever it is that has thrust them into the public eye, they talk about the mundane or what is at hand. I friend of mine spent some time with Bobby Knight, Bobby had no desire to talk about basketball, he just wanted to talk fishing....
That’s fucking funny, I don’t care who you are.
By -G-
Fishwater wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:43 pm About 20 years ago I was sitting behind the counter in a local fly shop when a blue suburban pulled up and two guys dressed in suits got out and walked around the store for 5-10 minutes before heading back out to the suburban. Strange, I thought. About 5 minutes after that, another blue suburban pulled up and out hopped President Bush with a fly reel in his hand. He walked to the counter and said he was looking for an expert to rig up a reel a friend of his (James Baker, if memory serves) had just given him. Since I was the only employee up front, I opened the reel case to find a never used Bogdan. While I was spooling up the reel we chatted about fishing. He was going to Maine the following week and wanted to try the new reel out on brook trout (even though there are no fish in Maine). It was just the two of us shooting the shit about fishing for 10 or 15 minutes. When it was time to check out, I tried to give him a discount but he wouldn't accept it. After paying with his AMEX, I handed him his copy of the receipt. He signed it and gave it back to me, wishing me good luck in the future.
Cheers to this, and what a great memory to have. Sip poured for HW
By fatman
:cool
By ironman
A remarkably full life. He set the bar high. Cheers, HW.
By Gremlin
Redchaser wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:25 pm
markl wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:55 am
That’s fucking funny, I don’t care who you are.

I busted out laughing!
By Gremlin
HW: I didn't vote for him the first time (abstained). However, voted for him in the 2nd election. I considered myself a moderate, and I really respected him. He always seemed to be gracious, and humble. He didn't try put on an act.

I stood behind Gallagher as he bough a fishing license one day. He seemed really pissed off. I didn't ask him to do a joke. I was young. Now I might ask him what he was doing in CO and where he was going fishing.

m
By K_P
Fishwater wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:43 pm I'll always think of him as a good, decent guy and a fisherman and an ambassador for our great city.
This.
By SOBF
28 years and 28 pounds ago I fished with HW.It is a cherished memory.Image
Attachments:
806D2857-6C83-4AC6-AA00-1DE34C18233B.jpeg
806D2857-6C83-4AC6-AA00-1DE34C18233B.jpeg (314.19 KiB) Viewed 970 times
Roughfish swap (Heero backed out)

Got FredA’s flies today - lookin good, dood

Spring in the SE AK

this small stream steelhead fishing, will be haunt[…]

Cracked windshield chronicles