Adios HW

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Fishwater

Adios HW

Post by Fishwater » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:43 pm

About 20 years ago I was sitting behind the counter in a local fly shop when a blue suburban pulled up and two guys dressed in suits got out and walked around the store for 5-10 minutes before heading back out to the suburban. Strange, I thought. About 5 minutes after that, another blue suburban pulled up and out hopped President Bush with a fly reel in his hand. He walked to the counter and said he was looking for an expert to rig up a reel a friend of his (James Baker, if memory serves) had just given him. Since I was the only employee up front, I opened the reel case to find a never used Bogdan. While I was spooling up the reel we chatted about fishing. He was going to Maine the following week and wanted to try the new reel out on brook trout (even though there are no fish in Maine). It was just the two of us shooting the shit about fishing for 10 or 15 minutes. When it was time to check out, I tried to give him a discount but he wouldn't accept it. After paying with his AMEX, I handed him his copy of the receipt. He signed it and gave it back to me, wishing me good luck in the future.
I'll always think of him as a good, decent guy and a fisherman and an ambassador for our great city.
Rest in peace Mr. President.
The famous are rarely relevant, the relevant rarely famous.

Redchaser

Re: Adios HW

Post by Redchaser » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:17 am

Fishwater wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:43 pm
About 20 years ago I was sitting behind the counter in a local fly shop when a blue suburban pulled up and two guys dressed in suits got out and walked around the store for 5-10 minutes before heading back out to the suburban. Strange, I thought. About 5 minutes after that, another blue suburban pulled up and out hopped President Bush with a fly reel in his hand. He walked to the counter and said he was looking for an expert to rig up a reel a friend of his (James Baker, if memory serves) had just given him. Since I was the only employee up front, I opened the reel case to find a never used Bogdan. While I was spooling up the reel we chatted about fishing. He was going to Maine the following week and wanted to try the new reel out on brook trout (even though there are no fish in Maine). It was just the two of us shooting the shit about fishing for 10 or 15 minutes. When it was time to check out, I tried to give him a discount but he wouldn't accept it. After paying with his AMEX, I handed him his copy of the receipt. He signed it and gave it back to me, wishing me good luck in the future.
I'll always think of him as a good, decent guy and a fisherman and an ambassador for our great city.
Great story. I've always thought it cool when you meet someone who is a "Somebody", and instead of talking about whatever it is that has thrust them into the public eye, they talk about the mundane or what is at hand. I friend of mine spent some time with Bobby Knight, Bobby had no desire to talk about basketball, he just wanted to talk fishing....
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

markl

Post by markl » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:55 am

Redchaser wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:17 am
Great story. I've always thought it cool when you meet someone who is a "Somebody", and instead of talking about whatever it is that has thrust them into the public eye, they talk about the mundane or what is at hand. I friend of mine spent some time with Bobby Knight, Bobby had no desire to talk about basketball, he just wanted to talk fishing....
Did you risk offering him a chair ;)

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:25 pm

markl wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:55 am
Redchaser wrote:
That’s fucking funny, I don’t care who you are.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

-G-

Post by -G- » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:23 pm

Fishwater wrote:
Cheers to this, and what a great memory to have. Sip poured for HW
Maybe we haven't drank enough Busch- Nolan

fatman

Post by fatman » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:10 pm

:cool
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

ironman

Post by ironman » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:22 pm

A remarkably full life. He set the bar high. Cheers, HW.
"if you don't understand the perfect logic of this, then you may as well fuck right off Teh Suk" - Fatman

"I took a Japanese whaling approach to panfishing as a kid." - Boomin

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:00 pm

Redchaser wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:25 pm
markl wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:55 am
Redchaser wrote:
That’s fucking funny, I don’t care who you are.

I busted out laughing!
The Drake, at it's best, gets us away from this regurgitated ration of shit that is everywhere you look in Flyfishing. VTNZ

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:05 pm

HW: I didn't vote for him the first time (abstained). However, voted for him in the 2nd election. I considered myself a moderate, and I really respected him. He always seemed to be gracious, and humble. He didn't try put on an act.

I stood behind Gallagher as he bough a fishing license one day. He seemed really pissed off. I didn't ask him to do a joke. I was young. Now I might ask him what he was doing in CO and where he was going fishing.

m
The Drake, at it's best, gets us away from this regurgitated ration of shit that is everywhere you look in Flyfishing. VTNZ

K_P

Post by K_P » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:29 pm

Fishwater wrote:
This.

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:27 am

28 years and 28 pounds ago I fished with HW.It is a cherished memory.Image
Attachments
806D2857-6C83-4AC6-AA00-1DE34C18233B.jpeg
806D2857-6C83-4AC6-AA00-1DE34C18233B.jpeg (314.19 KiB) Viewed 912 times

mitch aka 2 fish
Location: a big sincere thank you to all of you who still participate, I'm still here, every single day.

Post by mitch aka 2 fish » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:32 am

I'd bet nobody did that with aretha.
hey! everyone entitled owns a right opinion, buddy.