This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
It's been a long time since I've posted a report becasue the fishing has been shit. I used to keep track of how long I could go without a skunking, I think my longest stretch was 13 months and it wasn't because I was limiting trips, to the contrary, the more frequently I'm out the greater the success I seem to have on each outing, mainly due to staying on the fish and an awareness of what's going on in the marsh. Unfortunately life has a way of getting in the way and the frequency of my fishing trips has greatly diminished. After a very long stretch of not getting on the water often enough and getting skunked or having an otherwise lame trip when I did get out I was due a decent trip.

Early last week I got a call from Lurgee, he was going to be in the neighborhood and wanted to know if we could fish. Initially we talked about fishing this past Saturday and Sunday, but as the weekend drew near his timeline shifted a bit. He would fish on Friday with Ron Ratliff and with me on Saturday. Having the weekend free I decided to stay near the marsh for the weekend and called LaFlyguy and invited him to fish with me on Sunday.

Lurgee came, we fished, a storm popped up, the storm grew a tail
IMG_3282 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3282 - Copy.JPG (105.06 KiB) Viewed 658 times
We ran from the storm, when we thought we were far enough away we stopped to fish some more. We weren't far enough away, the storm caught us, the wind went from 0 to 30mph in about a second and Lurgee did what Lurgee does, he fell off the platform into the water.
IMG_3283 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3283 - Copy.JPG (43.09 KiB) Viewed 658 times
We ran back to the launch, lurge scheduled an earlier flight and took off. I ran into Lurker Mike and his crew, we all re-launched farther north in some interior marsh. I found happy fish and this started happening
IMG_3284 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3284 - Copy.JPG (53.11 KiB) Viewed 658 times
And that's how it went for the next 2 hours, happy fish all over, throw a big gaudy fly and land it noisily to get the eat.
IMG_3285 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3285 - Copy.JPG (45.1 KiB) Viewed 658 times
IMG_3286 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3286 - Copy.JPG (48.71 KiB) Viewed 658 times
IMG_3288 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3288 - Copy.JPG (57.54 KiB) Viewed 658 times
IMG_3289.JPG
IMG_3289.JPG (51.37 KiB) Viewed 658 times
I really wish Lurgee had stuck around to enjoy this. I left them biting and ran back to the launch happy
IMG_3280.jpg
IMG_3280.jpg (58.97 KiB) Viewed 658 times
Sunday morning I overslept but LAFLYGUY waited for me. We went back to where I caught he day before. There were fewer fish and they weren't as active as the day before. FlyGuy hooked a red and lost it at the boat, then caught his firts gar on fly.
IMG_8340.JPG
IMG_8340.JPG (45.09 KiB) Viewed 658 times
I managed to put one fish in the boat, I think it was a Mexican fish or something because his name was Ceviche.
IMG_3281.jpg
IMG_3281.jpg (73.53 KiB) Viewed 658 times
very shitty. thank you.
Ruddy Duck wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:31 am
Heero[CntRmbrPwd] wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:25 am I always thought gar were freshwater fishes. Huh.
I don't know each gar species' tolerance for salt, but they are common in the brackish estuaries that redfish often inhabit.

Redfish can handle a wide range of salinity concentrations.
Alligator gar can handle full on salt water, that one that Corey caught was a spotted gar, they can take it pretty salty too.
Redchaser wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:05 am I used to keep track of how long I could go without a skunking, I think my longest stretch was 13 months....
I'm calling :bullshit

It's been way longer than 13 months since you've seen any parts of pussy.
Now that's a skunking record :cool
fly-chucker wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:40 pm
Redchaser wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:05 am I used to keep track of how long I could go without a skunking, I think my longest stretch was 13 months....

#Science #truth
fly-chucker wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:40 pm

#Science #truth

...but it wasn't quite over. I rode out with Rudd[…]

Rust Belt 2019

He did....with my camera!! And my fish :gun

Winter steelhead fly swap 2019

when do i get my goddamn flies. is what im wonderi[…]

Peeing off the porch....TR

One of these days id like to experience such an av[…]

Subsribe to The Drake Magazine