This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
non plus ultra
It all begins where the road ends...

Conditions began looking up the following day with water on the drop, occasional sun, and a "fuck you very much" to the idea Kevs and I would drag ourselves out of the gorge at day's end up that goat path again...
The gang decided to head upstream while I offered Kevin the opportunity of some fishy runs that always seem to hold fish. A quick recon told us water was clearing too quickly and a little low and the run I had wanted to fish that was occupied when we walked upstream was now open...good structure, rocks, deeper gut, and enough flow to disturb the surface and provide cover for fish.

And so, with Skullion's exhortations still echoing from our last outing..."I wouldn't swing any classics through this water," I tied on a spey version of the Dragon's Tooth and promptly lost it on the first swing. You know, like FML and and you too Skulls.

The Fatman followed up behind as I enjoyed myself watching his fly lazily swing through the run. I had only turned my head for a moment and the dance was on. We weren't up far from the mouth and the fish, consequently, dime bright.

Keevs knows fish and the devil always shits on the same pile.
Content with a beautiful Rust-fall morning we made for our next meeting...

Stoned
Last edited by CC Riebeeck on Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By fatman
CC Riebeeck wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:23 pm Fatman rides shotgun (almost dying with me)
a game of chicken with an 18-wheeled truck first thing in the morning wakes one up quicker than espresso
Anytime, cc :smile
Plead innocent to bourbon theft stupidity, but do have a quantity of Amber Liquid to donate to the cause of next rust sojourn. Should be retired by then, maybe can keep up with other guys.
Should make a travel report of trip to Acklins last month but was still recovering until last week.
I really like the idea of using classic flies, they go well with beautiful reels like the peerless, wasn't the rod a Beulah or ?
Those Fokkers were Messerschmitts...

I extended the outing as I had business in the Pencil.
Stopped just ahead of the line to check out my go-to water to get the measure of her and decide whether my return would be well timed...
CO squad must have had a time of it.

Scene I:
Stopped at a run I knew to be a pit stop for fish and hoped to do a little recon.
I had just started working down the pool when two guys came running up from downstream and stationed themselves below my swing...egg pattern, 24" of leader, and indicators. They gave no quarter and I couldn't work through the pool. One guy would hook up and the other would run back to the top of the pool...
I fucking hate fly fishing cunts (see below)

Indeed Gankadank Thor features at the top and my detour was meant to secure his Hitchmas gift. Made contact with a hell of a guy from the band Riparian out of Pittsburgh who needed to fund his wedding and was selling some hard to find noise-making tech–specifically SUNN 0))) amp and twin 4/12 cabs. Needing now to have the house foundation underpinned...

Given his band's name what better place to tag...

Another overnight in the car...Clyde ain't got nuthin on me...and sorted through knitting I would take for a swim the following morning.

Although my initial foray was fucked by the esteemed brethren of the angling arts, when I came back mid-week the river was quiet, on the drop, clearing, and pressure on the rise...
Everything aligned and the serenity allowed me to orient myself to a slower and more temporal approach...unhurried and acutely aware of the nuance of presence. I didn't cast a line for about a half hour...

A good substantial tug marked the first fish of the day...but what followed rarely happens and is the signature of steelhead fishing. Though we are grateful for the solitude in the thin places, we consider ourselves truly blessed when can conjure but a single fish...double-digit days are, however, remarkable and noteworthy. Switched up the fly drab-4-the-grab which was assaulted for the remainder of the day...vicious, arm-jolting takes meant that I had happened on to a fresh push of fish from the night before. These were aggressive fish moving onto a fly.

Scene II:
I had been enjoying the solitude when two float guys came downstream and I was ready for a dust-up. Two younger fellas who, with great deference asked if there was room to share the run. I said "sure, but lets keep our drifts reasonable." They were grateful and decided on conversation first...they were packing a few flies but were primarily using spawn. "Took 10 days off," one of them said to run the south shore corridor. They seemed genuinely excited and were keenly interested in my flies and fly choice for the day. They were happy with the few fish from the run and then sat down and watched me swing through...
The boys were thankful and wanted to celebrate our success...beers were offered and they even made me a stream-side sandwich.
Fucking pinners...studs

Another of Keevs

Came home with some FAKE chocolate...

Geen-vis-rooibaard always gets the last word...

Inspired by you guys as always
cc the Hinge
Last edited by CC Riebeeck on Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leprechauns are magic. Here's pie in your eye

Thanks for taking us along and withholding from the zuckergram to let it settle here
20190803_172924.jpg
20190803_172924.jpg (86.73 KiB) Viewed 3864 times
:cool
gankadank wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:38 pm Leprechauns are magic. Here's pie in your eye

Thanks for taking us along and withholding from the zuckergram to let it settle here
20190803_172924.jpg:cool
I recognize that fire

thanks for the pie Fred :cool
Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Kloofzicht Special (variation) https://live.[…]

The return of Stolen Hours

July 30, 2020 #31? $101/7 = $14.43 (TN License[…]

One of those bands listened to off and on over the[…]

Rock curry

fuk that is all :cheer

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine