Bluegrass and Alt country bull**** thread.....

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
jerome

Bluegrass and Alt country bull**** thread.....

Post by jerome » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:14 pm

although i dig some of Wilco's shit...... Tweedy fucked up a good thing with Uncle Tupelo..... but Son Volt was formed and puts out some good shit, imo... i am a big fan of jay farrar...

So Jeff tweedy is a fucking douche bag of a bitch imho.....

any other fans/haters of this genre...

discuss...
Last edited by jerome on Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Being tossed from The Drake for excessive assholery is a bit like being thrown out of the Rolling Stones for profligate abuse of drugs and booze." - Ajax

RFA

Re: Jeff Tweedy is still a douche bag......

Post by RFA » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:16 pm

Totally agree. I think Uncle Tupelo was much better than Wilco. But, as far as Wilco goes,AM is the best album by far. They (Wilco) just keep getting more and more mellow, pretty soon they will be purely muzak. It must be the fact that J. Tweedy has been addicted to downers for 5 years.

jerome

Post by jerome » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:24 pm

I dont know... Wilco did put out some good more country shit in last few yrs and had some good collaborations like stuff with bobby bare jr. From stories I heard from guys i know that hung out with those guys in college Mike needs some downers...

Best band from that scene that never got credit has to be the bottle rockets.. :bow
"Being tossed from The Drake for excessive assholery is a bit like being thrown out of the Rolling Stones for profligate abuse of drugs and booze." - Ajax

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:26 pm

Can't say personally if he's a nice guy or not. I've heard of him getting pissed off during shows etc. but his music has always been great.

UT was also my favorite, esp. Anodyne, but I like all the other stuff too. I'd strongly recommend Hardly Strictly Bluegrass in Golden Gate park for anyone who's into alt country and bluegrass. It's in October and it's free. http://www.hardlystrictlybluegrass.com JT had about 50,000 singing along with this one last October.

That sounds awesome in my ears!! (P-A)

we were basking in goodness here with our everyday drivel that we enjoy.... the rest of this is horseshit, flybug.pa.

jerome

Post by jerome » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:33 pm

I met Jay Farrar a few yrs ago in nashville, really really cool guy. as was brian henneman. Have always heard tweedy was stuck up his own ass,etc... not really a dick but anti-social, arrogant and kinda full of himself,... takes the tortured artist thing to extremes....

speaking of alt-country rec.'s... I am hooked on Ryan Bingham stuff right now... the kid and his band have a great sound..

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:34 pm

Def prefer UT over Wilco and Farrar over Tweedy myself. If I want to hear a navel gazing weirdo, I'll listen to Todd Snider and crack the fuck up frequently.

Buy better hooks and bourbon.

jerome

Post by jerome » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:39 pm

cliff, that shit about snider is so true.... and funny as fuck... i just cracked up, woke up my dog... bitch is staring at me from across the room... pissed... :cool

stonedfly

Post by stonedfly » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:42 pm

Come on, what has Farrar done for you lately? UT still get frequent play time as does Wilco but Son Volt only gets a nod as an after thought every now and again. (edit: sorry, should qualify that, play time on my ipod. Funny shit bigcliff).
"We must be careful about what we pretend to be."n --Kurt Vonnegut

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:53 pm

I also like Todd Snider a lot. He is hilarious. But my favorite is still Robert Earl Keen:
That sounds awesome in my ears!! (P-A)

we were basking in goodness here with our everyday drivel that we enjoy.... the rest of this is horseshit, flybug.pa.

jerome

Post by jerome » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:58 pm

REK has to put on best live show ever and i have seen alot of shows especially in smaller venues..... seen him many times....always great.. :cool

tim_s

Post by tim_s » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:14 pm

UT is good shit

farrar's solo stuff is ok, this TVZ tribute with kelly willis is good....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_RIkcye3OA

just about to watch heartworn highways after watching clips on youtube.....
Fly Fishing in Maine - http://flyfishinginmaine.com/

jerome

Post by jerome » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:19 pm

i really dig this song and video.... http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jg7H_KpispY&feature=related