Bluegrass and Alt country bull**** thread.....

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
burgerthumb

Re: Jeff Tweedy is still a douche bag......

Post by burgerthumb » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:31 pm

I seen wilco a couple times and I think Tweedy is fantastic. Great stage banter. And the songwriting - Who can argue with Wilco songs? Apparently flyphisher.

I agree Sky Blue Sky is overly mellow. But at the right time and place, it works. There is nothing easy-listening about A Ghost is Born or Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, however. These are smart pop records that are incredibly well-produced. The Neil Young-style guitar work on A Ghost... is addictive. The solos and frills are perfectly placed. Those two albums get replayed alot around here.

As for uncle tupelo. It's really good bar-rock, but there're alot of decent bar-rock bands. I see Wilco a an improvement over UT, which I do like quite a bit.

Son Volt... Someone school me on where I should start with these guys.
"...when it's your favorite stream, at some point...ya just gotta stand in front of the bulldozers." -Deerhawk

RFA

Post by RFA » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:35 pm

Good band, although much more on the bluegrass, super hick country, is Old Crow Medicine Show. They almost sound like an old recording from the 50's...really good. Check them out. Lo-Fi
As it turns out, God? He was a squirrel. A big 'ol meaty one. "I found god, he used to say"

jerome

Post by jerome » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:41 pm

Summer Teeth was the album that kinda turned me off wilco... i really sky blue sky though... I think tweedy is a genius in many ways also.... kinda meant this tongue in cheek... Maybe the fact that Son Volt came to athens alot and got some airtime here when i was younger could be the reason i am partial to UT and Son Volt. Didnt hear Wilco ever hear that i remember...

Dig some old crow myself, red... Ever hear BlueGround UnderGrass? they were unreal..... but true hippie grass was really Old and in the Way... :cool
"Being tossed from The Drake for excessive assholery is a bit like being thrown out of the Rolling Stones for profligate abuse of drugs and booze." - Ajax

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:51 pm

FlyPhisher wrote:but true hippie grass was really Old and in the Way... :cool
Strength in Numbers

That sounds awesome in my ears!! (P-A)

we were basking in goodness here with our everyday drivel that we enjoy.... the rest of this is horseshit, flybug.pa.

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:54 pm

Ahh shit I can't resist. These guys just blew me away.

we were basking in goodness here with our everyday drivel that we enjoy.... the rest of this is horseshit, flybug.pa.

jerome

Post by jerome » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:58 pm

:bow :bow :bow sam bush is the man... as is jerry douglas
"Being tossed from The Drake for excessive assholery is a bit like being thrown out of the Rolling Stones for profligate abuse of drugs and booze." - Ajax

RFA

Post by RFA » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:10 pm

Interesting seeing these bands. I am a disciple of Slayer, Fu Manchu, and Black Sabbath. I have gotten into this stuff in the last 4-5 years as I mellow with age. I am still a noob when it comes to Bluegrass/alt-country. I have to admit though, I don't see the thing with Waylan Jennings....just don't.
As it turns out, God? He was a squirrel. A big 'ol meaty one. "I found god, he used to say"

jerome

Post by jerome » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:20 pm

the Nashville Rebel album was probably Waylon's best and easier to relate to for people our age i think... have to hear it before you can get his other stuff... I am a bigger Merle Haggard,Jerry Jeff Walker,billy joe shaver, Wille fan myself etc... but Waylon had some good stuff...

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:24 pm

I can't stand Waylon's slow stuff, but ones like "brown haired handsome man" and "Bob wills is still the king" and such are frickin great.
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

stonedfly

Post by stonedfly » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:27 pm

Best ever flat picker? (Bored and missing home)
"We must be careful about what we pretend to be."n --Kurt Vonnegut

Bruiser

Unlimited Bluegrass Alt Country Americana Whatever thread

Post by Bruiser » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:47 pm

Yeah man Tony Rice now we're talking.

This is now the unlimited bluegrass/alt country/blah blah blah thread.

jerome

Re: Bluegrass and Alt country bullshit thread.....

Post by jerome » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:59 pm