This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By Redchaser
Anybody who knows anything about redfishing in Louisiana knows that fall and winter is the time to fish. Certainly it's the only time to target big redfish, fishing the summer just means sweating your balls off for little slot fish....or so they say.

I had a trip to Belize planned, it got Covid Cancelled, but I still had the vacation time on the calendar. I set out for 5 days primarily to fish places I've never fished or haven't fished very much and still need to explore.

Monday and Tuesday I spent time staking out on sand bars and barrier island. Early on Monday I'm on the bow and see nervous water with a reddish brown glow to it, then I see triangle shapes breaching, "I school of tailing redfish" I think..then the school of cow nose rays pass under the bow
IMG_5979.jpg
IMG_5979.jpg (143.05 KiB) Viewed 735 times
There were a lot of these around, and the first 2 or 3 bunches I saw made me do a double take thinking they were reds...by the time the 30th group of them past buy I was pretty nonplussed.

After hanging for a while I was going to make a move, pulling the anchor when I glanced to my left and saw a huge patch of nervous water with that reddish glow. "Damn, that's a lot of rays" I thought. I noticed this school was moving faster, and as it got closer those red shapes were a lot more torpedo shaped. It was a massive school of redfish, I got a fly in front of them and of course caught a dinky little summertime slot fish
IMG_5981.jpg
IMG_5981.jpg (64.06 KiB) Viewed 735 times
I made a long run to do some exploring, and a little more catching
IMG_5982.jpg
IMG_5982.jpg (122.63 KiB) Viewed 735 times
After wrapping it up I found a good Poor Boy
IMG_5985.jpg
IMG_5985.jpg (90.36 KiB) Viewed 735 times
On Tuesday the wind took a bad turn for where I was fishing, limiting me to a small area, I gave it a go for a while, then came in early. I had 5 days to fish so I didn't feel like killing myself getting after it on any one day. I did enjoy some boat Charcuterie
IMG_5983.jpg
IMG_5983.jpg (148.44 KiB) Viewed 735 times
Wednesday I trailered to a different area, this one I haven't fished much because in the fall and winter it gets overrun with carpetbagger guides from Florida. I got on the water made long run and found fish.

More damn punes
P8120002.jpg
P8120002.jpg (116.39 KiB) Viewed 735 times
I'm beginning to wonder why I even fish in summer, couldn't get away from the little rat reds
P8120010.jpg
P8120010.jpg (118.1 KiB) Viewed 735 times
As I kept fishing I noticed a small shower popping up a little to the NW. It was a light shower, I could see clouds and features behind it. I wouldn't mind getting a little wet because it was hot.

I kept fishing, and when I looked back up that little shower had gotten a lot bigger and darker and was starting to flash and rumble. I was out on the edge with no cell service so I couldn't pull up radar on my phone to get a bead on how it was moving.

I decided to make a run North East because lately most systems had been moving from NW to SE. I started running and after a couple of miles had to stop for a second to secure something in my boat. While I was stopped another boat pulled up along side "do you know where you're going?" the guy in the other boat asked, he wasn't familiar with the area and wanted to get away from the storm too. While I have not fish or run this area much at all, I've pored over satellite imagery of it, drawn routes and imported them to my GPS and I have really good aerial imagery on my GPS so I was comfortable with knowing where I was and where I was going.

I continued my run, him following. I got the the bay that I thought might be far enough north and east to avoid the storm, we stopped and watched it for a few minutes, the storm had grown huge, extending it's reach much farther north and south, it was apparent we weren't out of its path. We talked for a minute and I decided to run farther north and east, pretty much to the extreme reach of this part of the marsh, he said he would follow.

After another long run we stopped at my target location and it was obvious that we were now even with the northern edge of the storm. I told the guy in the other boat we could skirt just a little north, then head west and hit a northern route into the place we had both launched from. It was a 27 mile run. He said he would follow so I led through 2 large bays then into a cut that led into a smaller lake, across the lake, then into a windy bayou that we would run for a while before crossing a small lagoon and coming out in the bayou that's the main thoroughfare back to the launch.

The last time I looked behind me and saw the guy was in the little winding bayou, and he was keeping up just fine, once I hit the main thoroughfare I relaxed a lot, we were home free. As I got close to the launch I turned around and he was no where to be seen. I hope that once we hit the main bayou and were in clear weather he realized where he was and decided to head out to fish some more. Back at the hotel that night I checked my track and I had made an 80 mile circuit in the boat. I had made it back with 5 gallons left in the tank
IMG_5997.jpg
IMG_5997.jpg (192.79 KiB) Viewed 735 times
After all of that excitement I needed another Poor Boy
IMG_5996.jpg
IMG_5996.jpg (105.17 KiB) Viewed 735 times
IMG_6022 (1).jpg
IMG_6022 (1).jpg (116.19 KiB) Viewed 735 times
Thursday I headed out and it was calm. The water was glassier than Sammie Davis Jr's eye.
IMG_6004.jpg
IMG_6004.jpg (99.51 KiB) Viewed 735 times
I ran back to where I had started Wednesday, the water was higher and muddier. Many of the same sized fish were there, but with no ability to see them, I couldn't do anything with them. I made a move and played with skillet fish for a while.
IMG_6011.jpg
IMG_6011.jpg (113.22 KiB) Viewed 735 times
Before long the weather started to brew again. I cut my losses and outran the weather early before it blew up too bad.

A little disappointed that my day had been cut short, I needed something to lift my spirits, I knew just the thing
IMG_6023.jpg
IMG_6023.jpg (92.78 KiB) Viewed 735 times
Thursday evening I went to a restaurant that Lurker Mike and I stumbled onto a couple of years ago on my birthday weekend. The food was great and the owners were the nicest people ever, by the time we left that night we felt like we had been adopted. I had told Lurker Mike that I planned to eat there Thursday night as it was my "Birthday Eve" and the last night I would be in the area. I had a great dinner, raw oysters, BBQ shrimp, a 2 inch thick veal T-Bone and lemon pie. After my meal the owner came over and told me that Lurker Mike had called and picked up the tab. If I had known that I would have gotten a bottle of wine to give to my Uber driver.... Seriously, those of you who know Lurker Mike know what a great dude he is, I'm fortunate to enjoy his friendship.

With the water in that area being pretty muddy, the long runs needed to fish and an even higher likelihood of thunderstorms for Friday, I called and audible, got on the road early Friday and trailered to a different location, this one I know a little better.

I got to the launch and had to wait 30 minutes for a shower to pass, thinking about where I had caught those annoying little punes in my previous location, I knew a spot here that replicated the conditions.... fairly shallow pond with lots of oysters, very close to the edge of the marsh and the open gulf.

I pointed the skiff south and made the quick run to the spot. I started poling and soon started seeing a lot of activity, bait moving, a fish cruising here and there. I saw a fish cruising the bank to my 3 O'clock but by the time I could grab my rod he was gone. I knew I would see another fish soon so I poled with one hand while I kept my rod in the other. A fish swirled and flushed on bait about 20 feet in front of the boat, I stopped and scanned the water, the fish showed up just a little to the right of my boat, I dropped the fly in front of it, as soon as it touched the water the fish angled up and destroyed the fly. He ate the fly facing me and had his mouth so wide open I think I saw his liver. I was hooked up and after a short but tough fight I had another damn itty bitty fish in the boat
P8140012.jpg
P8140012.jpg (92.2 KiB) Viewed 735 times
I kept fishing that area for a bit, but soon a storm was brewing so I made a long run north.
IMG_6026.jpg
IMG_6026.jpg (83.3 KiB) Viewed 735 times
I wanted to catch a few fish to take home anyway. I got into a small bay, the water was high and flooding the broken edges of the grass, the fish were pushed up in the grass and were there in great numbers. Early on the fish weren't eager to eat and I had to work to feed them. I made a good shot at a pair of really nice redfish, and before they could react a small black drum pounced on the fly and cock blocked me from the redfish.
IMG_6027.jpg
IMG_6027.jpg (53.35 KiB) Viewed 735 times
I was starting to feel like I might now how Mad Mike and Jerms feel fishing, having to drop the fly pinpoint in the grass
IMG_6030.jpg
IMG_6030.jpg (60.03 KiB) Viewed 735 times
As the tide started to fall, the moving water turned the fish on and it was a shooting gallery,
P8140014.jpg
P8140014.jpg (93 KiB) Viewed 735 times
IMG_6036.jpg
IMG_6036.jpg (188.86 KiB) Viewed 735 times
IMG_6035.jpg
IMG_6035.jpg (152.74 KiB) Viewed 735 times
IMG_6038.jpg
IMG_6038.jpg (159.49 KiB) Viewed 735 times
IMG_6041.jpg
IMG_6041.jpg (124.9 KiB) Viewed 735 times
It wasn't long before I had as many skillet fish as I feel like cleaning
IMG_6046.jpg
IMG_6046.jpg (156.92 KiB) Viewed 735 times
And yes, I need a bigger fish bag. I left them biting, I had to pick up my daughter on the way home and I wanted to save time to stop and pick up 15 pounds of 9-12 count shrimp and one more thing
IMG_6048.jpg
IMG_6048.jpg (137.25 KiB) Viewed 735 times
So the moral of the story is stay the fuck away from Louisiana in the summer, nothing but tiny ass fish, you sweat your balls off, and the food sucks.
By Bigguy
:Roll Eyes Now that’s a fine way to celebrate your birthday, too bad the fish were so small, but the po-boys should have made up for that!
By TX.
Okay, first off you fucking Yankee it's "Po-boy", get your shit straight!

Second: I'm so, so bummed you couldn't hook up w/ Jeff in Belize, that totally, and I mean totally SUCKS sweatier balls!

We've been trying to get down to Panama for four months to look at property... shit in Belize is starting to get cheaper, but we still can't get down there either!

I need to get a redfish...Hell, I just need to fish! Last time out....even locally was..........................don't remember.
Way to keep it real Ron!
S
By stillsteamin
Redchaser wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:56 pm He ate the fly facing me and had his mouth so wide open I think I saw his liver.
Damn that was good. I hate the heat but other than that I'm jealous of what y'all got goin on down there. Punes and shitty food and whatnot
By croaker
Wow! Nice slot fish!
:bow
By fatman
:smile
By mrl0004
Man, I need a po boy now. What types of po boys were those? The shrimp one is obvious, some of the others piqued my interest.
By Redchaser
Meatball with sauce, sliced roast beef, and “debris” which is roast beef that’s been cooked till it falls apart.
How to disable avatar?

Hello i am new user and i would to ask you, How to[…]

New Partner - TR

Late to the party on this one. Fine job there p[…]

I'm sitting here in southeast LA complaining becau[…]

Goodbye to another one

Sen. Lindsey O. Graham of South Carolina four year[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine