This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By markl
The Wine, The Beer, The Whiskey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdWjChQT1JU

All trips start with the same key ingredients. Five in my books – 1. Some people you want to spend time with; 2. Stories about the ‘last time’; 3. Wine, beer, whiskey and cigars; 4. Some good food, ideally cooked over a BBQ; and lastly, 5. Water you believe holds some fish and runs through beautiful real estate. Everything else is pretty much gravy.
This trip started with all these key ingredients. As had each and every one for the past 17 years. But, like a street hooker from the wrong side of town, this one also came with a nasty disease. Covid had already spread its tentacles through our Spring trip and cratered it. We were determined not to let it happen in the Fall. We are all Canadians – at least by birth. Most of us growing up in the same hometown of Calgary. But, some had drifted south. One even stayed. Sadly, especially for him, he would not be making this trip. That aside, we were committed.

Not that we weren’t already stuck in Groundhog Day, but we all agreed in the run up to lay low and keep our bubbles small. Sadly, not really an issue.

For those of us coming from far, we boarded planes and prepared for 2-4 hours of masks and no booze. A grim start. BTW, there’s no way Jason wear’s that goalie mask for days on end. I call bullshit on that. Anyway, two of us are flying from Toronto to Calgary and the flight is full. Seriously. Six empty seats. WTF?!?!? I mean, where are these people coming from? It’s not like it’s Stampede and they’re all heading to Cowboys.
Cowboys.jpg
Cowboys.jpg (42.07 KiB) Viewed 853 times

Anyway, we land, and so does all our gear. Not always a given. I’m grateful to get out of the airport and remove my mask. Just as I do, my brother rolls up in his little Audi wagon. Thankful to see him. Though, as I crouch down and squeeze in, I grumble, as I do every year, why he can’t have a truck like every other Calgarian. Maybe the rolled up cuffs on his skinny jeans are the answer. I don’t know. Though I may have had more leg room on the flight, at least my mask is off.
We are now on our way here. But, still no booze. That is to change in about 2 hours.
Road to the Pass.jpg
Road to the Pass.jpg (28.92 KiB) Viewed 853 times

We have our first routine, which is to stop in at the Frank Slide liquor store. Which is open 24/7. Sometimes you have to wait for the owner to wake up and come down. We’ve arrived as late as 2am some years and still had service. Ya just gotta love it.
Frank Liquor Store.jpg
Frank Liquor Store.jpg (23.43 KiB) Viewed 853 times

Wine, beer, scotch. All is good. One of us arrived early and did some grocery shopping, so no more stops. Even better. He’s a foodie. So, we will not go hungry, and there will be no weight loss this trip.

Day 1
As always, the first stop is the Fly Shop to see Al and Suzie and for advice from whatever young punk of a guide is there and doesn’t know us and that we will milk him for everything he’s got. As a fee for the advice, we buy flies and at least one of us makes some manner of major purchase. Even if we don’t need it. This year, it was several of us getting new ‘vests’. For me, I have this ongoing test of trying new carrying strategies. I am now on a bit of a Spartan kick. I dumped my old waist pack for a sleek sash style one. Is there a big difference? Well, my wife (and most of my group) would say no. But, Suzie and I quite enjoy my game. Besides, she says we all carry way to much shit.

We used to have a cup of coffee and snack when at the Shop, but between the size of our breakfasts and our age-related issues with too many coffees in waders, we now just shop.
Fly Shop.jpg
Fly Shop.jpg (62.9 KiB) Viewed 853 times

It started off well.
Pic 1a.JPG
Pic 1a.JPG (247.91 KiB) Viewed 853 times
Pic 2a.jpg
Pic 2a.jpg (177.42 KiB) Viewed 853 times
Pic 3a.jpg
Pic 3a.jpg (210.83 KiB) Viewed 853 times

We had to fish here.
Pic 4a.jpg
Pic 4a.jpg (189.37 KiB) Viewed 853 times

And here. BTW, that’s Peter. He says he is retying. But, we all know he’s really just getting ready for a nap. Which he does.
Pic 5a.jpg
Pic 5a.jpg (177.89 KiB) Viewed 853 times

And here.
Pic 6a.jpg
Pic 6a.jpg (64.97 KiB) Viewed 853 times

And here.
Pic 7a.jpg
Pic 7a.jpg (66.12 KiB) Viewed 853 times

For more of these.
Pic 8a.jpg
Pic 8a.jpg (217.57 KiB) Viewed 853 times

And all in gin clear water. Yep, it sucked.
Eventually, we called it a day and headed back to some of this.
Pic 9a.jpg
Pic 9a.jpg (70.38 KiB) Viewed 853 times

I’d drop in a couple of pics of the steak, wine and scotch after this. But, I can no more do that than I could take the pics once they all hit the table. I’m pretty sure you can imagine what they would look like anyway. If you can’t. Envision a puddle of steak blood, several empty wine bottles, and a seriously dented bottle of scotch. My only complaint is that I got voted down on the Lagavulin. Apparently, ‘too peaty’ for some. I managed.

[More to come]
By markl
Day 2
We hire Al to guide us Day 2. We tell ourselves it is because he takes us to new water that we can add to the list of spots. Which is true. But, we all know that it is because of his lunches. We bring the beer, scotch and cigars. He brings the lunch – and, a new spot to fish.

Day 2 starts with a bit of a hike. So as to lose the toy hauler crowd.
Pic 10a.jpg
Pic 10a.jpg (111.08 KiB) Viewed 850 times

And drop down into this.
Pic 11a.jpg
Pic 11a.jpg (83.79 KiB) Viewed 850 times

For some of these.
Pic 12a.jpg
Pic 12a.jpg (185.25 KiB) Viewed 850 times

And these.
Pic 13a.jpg
Pic 13a.jpg (234.58 KiB) Viewed 850 times

Lunch is curried chicken salad, pasta salad, potato salad, bean salad and cold beer. Al does not disappoint. It was finished off with a shot of scotch and a cigar. It was OK 😉
Pic 14a.jpg
Pic 14a.jpg (89.42 KiB) Viewed 850 times

As you can see, had we made it to a bar (and not had to wear masks), we would be no threat to the local female population. If we gave a shit.
Pic 15a.jpg
Pic 15a.jpg (87.3 KiB) Viewed 850 times

We hiked back out.
Pic 16a.jpg
Pic 16a.jpg (146.55 KiB) Viewed 850 times

Dinner that night was local hot Italian sausage and pasta. Always a night 2 meal as we get back late. I think there was something green with it too. Can’t recall. Everything else was pretty much the same as the night before. Thankfully.

[More to come}
By BigTimber
Canuckian guide lunches are the best!

more please.
By stillsteamin
Oh hell ya. Love that country, missed it this year. Bet it's nice and quiet this year too without all the hosers from down south gumming up the works
By markl
Day 3
Another hike.
Pic 17a.jpg
Pic 17a.jpg (68.2 KiB) Viewed 666 times

To drop into this. You can’t see it well. But, that’s over a 60 foot drop down to a sweet pool at the edge of the tail water.
Pic 18a.jpg
Pic 18a.jpg (245.62 KiB) Viewed 666 times

This is it from down below.
Pic 19a.jpg
Pic 19a.jpg (177.24 KiB) Viewed 666 times

We had some company. How they get up and down some of those hills is amazing. Maybe that’s what makes Alberta beef so awesome.
Pic 20a.jpg
Pic 20a.jpg (168.85 KiB) Viewed 666 times

We took a bit of time to smell the ‘roses’.
Pic 21a.jpg
Pic 21a.jpg (216.3 KiB) Viewed 666 times
Pic 22a.jpg
Pic 22a.jpg (81.52 KiB) Viewed 666 times
{more to come]
We managed to dredge up a few of these.
Pic 23a.jpg
Pic 23a.jpg (92.56 KiB) Viewed 664 times
After lunch we fished our way out through this.
Pic 24a.jpg
Pic 24a.jpg (194.71 KiB) Viewed 664 times
Pic 25a.jpg
Pic 25a.jpg (159.56 KiB) Viewed 664 times
Pic 26a.jpg
Pic 26a.jpg (183.27 KiB) Viewed 664 times

Having brought a respectable number of fish to net, we decided it was time to wrap with scotch. But, being Covid and all, elected not to share flasks. The kids old glassware came in handy.
Pic 27a.jpg
Pic 27a.jpg (70.19 KiB) Viewed 664 times

As any trip should have it, there was a last cast. OK, more than one. But, the ‘last’ one resulted in this.
Pic 28a.jpg
Pic 28a.jpg (83.2 KiB) Viewed 664 times

Day 4
Day 4 was a trip back to Calgary to celebrate my mom’s 81st birthday with both my brothers. Something that rarely happens these days. She only feels comfortable heading out to the ‘Country Club’ and eating on their patio. Not having planned well, this meant a trip to the Bay for pants and a blazer, as I only had jeans and old shirts. The things you do – when you don’t plan ahead. No wet waders or fishy smelling hands, but not a bad way to end a trip.

I can’t begin to describe how elated we all were to make this happen this year (well, except for ‘the American’), and we’re looking forward to next year. Next year’s Spring and Fall trips are already in the calendar. We’ve even included ‘the American’. Let’s just hope some sanity prevails, we get the numbers down, and we can get back and forth across the longest undefended border.

These trips aren’t about fishing. If they were, we’d have quit long ago and it would be with very different people. Hell, I wouldn’t be included. But, they are about time with those that matter. Well, some of them anyway. Oh, and the wine, the beer, the whiskey.

Cheers,
Pic 29a.jpg
Pic 29a.jpg (71.62 KiB) Viewed 664 times
Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Opal Cormorant https://live.staticflickr.com[…]

whatcha tying?

FB917E50-ED40-4B9D-A745-E311F5950DB1.jpeg

Friday Cheer Through Pics

Damn. Welcome back

Rock curry

Beautiful. [/kisses fingers]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine