This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By The Po Thead
My brother and I decided to get away from Juneau and the fall hunting crowds this year to fill the freezers. It can be such a shit show doing the weekend warrior grind; leaving the boat launch in the dark with 5-10 other boats, all racing to be the first to set anchor and run into the woods to hopefully find a Sitka Blacktail.

Instead, we rented a USFS cabin on a lake for 9 days to get the hell away from everyone. Access is by float plane, so we chartered a flight and were on our way on October 28.

See ya Juneau.

It was some serious glamping. With just the two of us, we managed to almost max out the Beaver (insert additional stuffed Beaver joke).

The pilot mentioned something about bringing a bigger plane for the pickup depending how many deer we shot… We opted to not think about it, and deal with crossing that bridge when/if we got to it.

The kitchen sink is somewhere in there.

Then we settled in, got unpacked, and made a nice fire for the evening.

Ate pretty well in the mornings, a bagel with homemade king salmon gravlax from fish caught a few weeks ago.

We were usually in the boat and driving across the lake by sunrise, then heading into the woods.

The brown bears hadn’t gone to sleep yet. We’d get the boat to our hunting spot on the lake shore, see tracks from a day or two earlier, then later in the afternoon when we got back to the boat, there’d be a new set of tracks following us into the woods.

See page 957 in Friday Cheer Through Pics for more encounters with brown bears in southeast Alaska.

All boned out loaded in the packs.

We did our part to keep the mouse population in check.

Hunting old growth and fields of Devils Club.

Then after 9 days of hunting the rainforest, it was time to go home.

An incredible trip, with freezers successfully filled. Until next year!
By McH
Fuk'n A! Thanks for that Monday pickmeup.

My first deer I ever shot was a Blacktail, on Admiralty Island when I was 14.
Thanks for bringing back the memories. ( I'll never forget devils club, ever)

:cool :cool
By stillsteamin
Good grief charlie brown. Five stars.

Those beautiful fields of devils club just make me wanna frolic through em with my pants off
By Da Ax
OUTstanding! Was just up in AK in June. My wife did a milestone birthday present for me. One day I will get off of my lazy ass and do a trip report.
By G_Smolt
Booyah.

I did a local rekky - run blitz on wednesday when it snowed at sea level, and even after covering about 8 miles and 6k total vertical (note to self: you're not 30 anymore, stop that shit), I'm pretty sure you and T shot more deer than I even saw tracks from. I have a long weekend blocked out for a remote Baranof trip around turkey day, I'm hoping that yields a bit more meat than my local excursion.

Goodonya, and the prespawn recruit chinook population has also let me know that the temporary respite in your ongoing extirpation program is well-received...🤣
By fatman
strong work :smile
By The Po Thead
421sd wrote:Far out man!

How many tags are you allowed up there? I need to hunt something other than a whitetail someday before I get too old.
AK residents can get 6 deer tags, but it depends on where you’re hunting in Southeast on whether you can actually shoot that many. For Unit 4 where I am, the ABC Islands (Admiralty, Baranof and Chichagof), we can fill all 6 tags. Season is from August 1 until December 31, with bucks only from August 1-September 15.

I’ve got 1 tag left, but I’m not sure if I’ll get a chance to punch it before the season’s over. I usually take my rifle with me when I’m out trolling for winter kings, and there’s a chance a dumb deer is walking on the beach now that we have a bunch of snow on the ground… But who knows if I’ll get that lucky.
Unlimited Almost a TR thread

winter stuff kessler https://hosting.photobucket.[…]

The return of Stolen Hours

#9 41+ overcast to partly sunny https://vimeo.com[…]

This one has Drakian written all over https://ny[…]

Kanye moved from Cody, he's getting a divorce, and[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine