Worst piece of shit gear you've bought

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Yard Sale

Worst piece of shit gear you've bought

Post by Yard Sale » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:19 am

Whatcha got? New gear used once and back in the box? Shit given to you you didn't even use? Crap you wouldn't even give to campnutz?

I'm a cheap ass bastard so I don't have much. Probably the worst was when I got a used Sage XP 8wt and needed a line for it. Guy at THE fly shop "hooked me up" with the Sage quiet line for half price. At $25 it is still the worst deal I've done. I've got sink lines that float better, bungee cord that cast smoother, and shooting heads that mend better. Two days on the river and back in the box.......but that fucking 2 piece xp is the sweetest thing I've ever had....

So rant on.......
[quote="locogringo"]I used to wear those Skagit shorts but they were too loose and sometimes would expose my d loop and my perry poke would fall out.[/]

LTD

Re: Worst piece of shit gear you've bought

Post by LTD » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:33 am

Bought a 11 wt xi2 after falling in love with my 10wt xi2. The 11wt xi2 is the biggest piece of shit on earth. Complete total waste of money! So bad I gave it away...couldn't sell it.
"At some point reasonable people have to accept certain changes our presence has brought about, learn to not make similar mistakes in the future and appreciate and enjoy what we have while lamenting what we've lost"~~~~~ Muddled Duck

http://www.keywesttarponguides.com

Fish every fish like it's your last!!!

ak_powder_monkey

Post by ak_powder_monkey » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:46 am

I once bought a wall mart south bend black beauty fly rod for 15 bucks (a lot of money when I was 10) I proceded to break it casting strait leadcore line.
Save Wild Salmon, Eat Wild Salmon.

http://www.akpmphotos.com

Wingnut

Post by Wingnut » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:49 am

WhOrvis TLS Powermatrix bullshit rod, stiff as a broom and I broke three just fishing them, one time I was just pulling the line back through the giulds after netting a fish and Snap. Now my Scott's can really lay it down.
Where can I buy some wanderlust?

Veetch

Post by Veetch » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:36 am

The SA/CF Designs waterproof fly box. I took it to Los Roques and put my digi camera in it while wading a deep flat for permit..... Lets just say there are no "Friday Cheer Through Pics" of sickle tails from that trip due to O-ring failure. They replaced the box, but were unable to replace pics of a 35 pound permit.

LTD - Thanks for the heads up on the 11wt. Xi2
After taking several readings, Im surprised to find my mind still fairly sound.....

"Thanks for the memories, Dick. We're gonna miss you like rock snot.'"

Old Spudger

Post by Old Spudger » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:41 am

9wt Mono-core intermediate sinking line when it first hit the market.
The core and outer coating seperated 1/2 way through the season, and it was expensive line!
Total shit!

ephemera

Post by ephemera » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:50 am

Orvis 9ft 4wt Power Matrix. 9.5 tip flex my ass. Bought it for small meadow streams out west too bad it is too limp to cast a size 18 PMD let alone a large foam ant. It has been passed down to my 11 year old nephew who uses it to fish for bluegill, Hopefully he breaks it.
If each day fishing adds a day to your life I will be here for a while

Spudnik

Post by Spudnik » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:46 am

anything with fuckin zingers on it.

I second the waterproof C&F box as well. As for the Sage Quiet Taper... clean the fuckin thing. Yeah, the line sucks... but it should float for at least a few trips.

and ephemera, I think I missed your Boobs and Pie. Plus, I was out there this weekend putting a hurtin' on your fish, which are still sippin midges to my dismay. I was hopin' they'd be on quills or 'dicksons by now, but no such luck.
"Do you think it is real? I bet it is hard and soft, like hard muscle but really smooth skin. I bet it is real nice." - midstream

no peeki pani

Post by no peeki pani » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:27 am

A good while back I bought a Loomis GL3 8-weight..cast beautifully, shattered even more spectacularly. After the second repair/replacement I was able to sell it. Prompted a very successful switch to Sage...
I small like baby.

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:45 am

1. Ronny Waders

2. Fishpond "tippet dispenser" -that one was a gift but what a POS.
That sounds awesome in my ears!! (P-A)

we were basking in goodness here with our everyday drivel that we enjoy.... the rest of this is horseshit, flybug.pa.

Nemeth

Post by Nemeth » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:11 am

The 3 pairs of orvis waders I had before I bought my Simms, I believe it was the second pair that leaked right out of the box, fucking junk.
"They'd tow their canoe up to the top of the island and the more it wobbled, the better endowed their firstborn son would be... Old river people tradition." - D-Nymph

Mr. Don

Post by Mr. Don » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:38 am

Mayfly wing burner set. Sounds like something a tier can't live without and I never use 'em.

:wink
"I'm a wed-hot sportsman after wild game." E. Fudd