another dumbass set of tying questions

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
befuddled

another dumbass set of tying questions

Post by befuddled » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:42 pm

i dont give a shit if this is a FOAL-type post, they wouldn't let me register under "befuddled" or "befuddled angler", so i'm asking you guys:i need freaking tying info. can't spin deer hair uniformly. never tried foam. i'm also tired of my freaking dries sinking in fast water.n i need links or something.oh yeah, can i shred my deer hair and use it for dubbing? this damn synthetic, nicely colored but doesn't float for shit stuff is pissing me off!i'm a fucking befuddled tyer, sorry. help out a befuddled?
There are so many dildos out there, you''d think setting their phones to vibrate would come naturally. ---SUAF

greedy capitalist/liberal-elitist/gun-toting profit monger

We'll wake the dead motherfucker. Fuck you. ---- Fallen513

burbot

Re: another dumbass set of tying questions

Post by burbot » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:54 pm

Do you treat your deer with that foul smelling 'one time only floatant' after tying?

befuddled

Post by befuddled » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:57 pm

floatant? never used it. looks like some damn foot rot powder
There are so many dildos out there, you''d think setting their phones to vibrate would come naturally. ---SUAF

burbot

Post by burbot » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:02 pm

No, not that shit, the liquid stuff you apply after you tie and wait 24 hours. Shit smells terrible but works well-or are you some type of uber purist because if that's the case you better have 2000 deer hair fly and change them every ten minuets.

befuddled

Post by befuddled » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:12 pm

purist? nope.i'll be more than happy to try it if it'll kepp my stuff on top instead of drowning

TX.

Post by TX. » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:15 pm

Put the hair the way you want it, pinch hard to hold it, put three loose wraps on it and then pull tight, finish w/ a half hitch, push (and spin, unless you're stacking)toward rear of hook. Rinse. Repeat.n After you trim it...lightly go around it w/ a lighter, this will seal the ends of the hair. Or take some softex (or mix silicone w/ mineral spirits til thin), and "paint" the tips.That stuff Bourby is talkin' about, works ok..but not that great...."Water Shed" is the brand name...flies for fast water require much more hackle...kinda puffy, like a stimulator, or a humpy.What are you trying to tie...that would be step one for the right answer...now you owe me more green beer Image
Which one of you fuckers has a flats skiff in the NC mountains?-southernstrain
Was there also a raft,drift boat,jon boat,and a gheeno in the yard?-Kyle

befuddled

Post by befuddled » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:21 pm

thanks Tx, i was trying 2 things. first, that crease fly of Ginseng's. I CANNOT get that shit that tight. I was also wandering about my dubbling (bought a pack of synthetic, about a half dozen colors), but from reply, i gather i'm better off concentrating more on the hackle.n oh yeah, also confiscated a huge barrel of foam bathtub shapes (all kinds of colors, i KNOW this shit floats) from the girls, figured jackpot! now just need to know how to use it

<small>[ June 01, 2006, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: befuddled ]</small>

TX.

Post by TX. » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:18 am

...Crease fly is a foam body...n The hair minnow I think your talkin'.n That's stacked, not spun...for that you'll need (well, don't need, but it sure helps) a hair packer, looks like a big pair o' tweasers bent 90 w/ a notch to tighten down the shank. You squeeze and push real tight...(reminds me of a girl I once dated). Use a heavy, thick thread like [/img]" (rod wrapping thread)...kevlar thread will cut through the hair. For spinning, leave the shank bare, for stacking, cover the shank w/ thread as not to "spin" or slide around the hair to get those pretty shapes.n Tight, tight, tight is the trick. then burn ends, or coat them and then after dry (24 hrs) soak in water shed for about thirty and let dry for 24...or make the fucker outta foam.

<small>[ June 02, 2006, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: TXFly ]</small>
Which one of you fuckers has a flats skiff in the NC mountains?-southernstrain
Was there also a raft,drift boat,jon boat,and a gheeno in the yard?-Kyle

Ginseng Sullivan

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:34 am

FUD tie in the tails then stack the tips on one section of deer hold it in place and take two loose wraps over it and pull straight down to cinch it in place while holding it with your other hand. flip the hook over and do the same with the alternate color. walk the tread through the deer to in front of it by rocking the bobbin back and forth to keep from trapping down hair. make a few anchor wraps in front of the hair and then pack it back hard. the next sections of hair don't need the tips stacked just cut it off the hide comb out the fur and stack it on. i use a solib nylon packer i don't like the brassie type tex describes as it will damage hair if you slip. repeat as necessary. i use 100 denier gel spun poly thread just don't spin the thread tight and it won't cut the hair. the best pre treatment for hair is loon hydrostop. dip it in and let it dry for 24 hrs. my bugs will float all day with no treatment you just need to get them tight. what's foam?

fyshnutz

Post by fyshnutz » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:40 am

This is the best fly tying thread / instruction set I have ever read. Thanks 'Fud.
we''re gonna get thingy flapped on dillweed and bunghole some donkey punches - ''fud

I.F.P...

Post by I.F.P... » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:48 am

GS is dead on and so if TXFly. One thing to really stress is not too let the GSP twist. If you try to keep the thread as flat as possible it will not cut the deer hair. Something I picked up as well, when tying deer hair for bodies. Use the lower sections of the hair. Cut the hair from the hide, comb it out. Then snip the tips and bases leaving the nice thick mid section.A different twist to stacking. I use my fingers instead of a tool. Just something I learned to do when I was a kid and tying deer hair poppers. Could not afford a specific tool for stacking. Sorry if I restated to much from the other guys.I.F.P... OUT!
Ego Charged Bobber Loving Fly Rod Owning Whore.

Brookwookie

Post by Brookwookie » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:21 am

Thanks guys. I suck at spinning deer hair and want to improve. This provides some needed motivation.
The Most Recent Evolution Of Muthafusticus Modernusticus
Buster Wants To Fish