This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By deerfly
Ty Webb wrote:
backbone wrote:I saw this working down the bank and thought it was a snook or red. It slashed around with its nose at the fly and then mudded down like a ray. One of the craziest things I have seen on a Florida salt flat.

did you report it to FWC? they ask that you send them date and location every time you even see one

don't send them the photo of you hanging it out of the water though
Ah, the wrath of the suk... bb didn't tell me he posted the pic here, but I saw it this morning on another site and figured it may have ended up here too. Anyway, I reported the catch monday morning before sending him the pics from my camera. Biologist called me back yesterday morning to ask a few more questions. There were 7 other sawfish reports filed over the weekend from other areas in the state, but none from the middle of nowhere where we found this one. Had a nice chat about the acoustic tracking program they've been doing in the caloosahatchee and what they're learning from the fin clipping dna samples etc too.

The reporting isn't mandatory, but they are very appreciative of any reports they get, especially with gps coordinates, reasonably close measurements and any pics or information like damaged fins, scars etc, that may help them identify the same fish in the future. In this case the pic is useful because the missing teeth don't grow back, only the broken ones continue to grow. So they may help identify this fish should someone else report it in the future.

She (sounded hot on the ph too...) was also glad we were able to remove the hook and any leader material without incident since it could have affected it's ability to feed or potentially ensnare it among mangrove roots/blow downs etc common to their preferred habitat. Apparently, mono and rope entangled in the nostrum (saw) is a major issue they face with these fish. In lieu of that, they would much prefer the fish was left in the water, but she was pretty certain no one would be cited for handling one in that regard as long as it was done quickly and the fish was not injured in the process. Her opinion was that its largely a matter of safety, circumstance and judgement. They are a very hardy fish, but if it's not reasonably possible to restrain it safely and quickly then it's best to just cut the line as close as possible without removing the fish from the water...
By Bears Fan
Good info, thanks bud!
By backbone
My first Jack on fly! Man these things don't quit until there half past dead. I fought him for 20 mins on a prototype 2 piece 10# BVK. He took me about 100 yards into my backing and was heading for a bridge. I was able to turn him and put him in the skiff.
This little guy wanted to eat too. Arrrr
By Redchaser
deerfly wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:
backbone wrote:I saw this working down the bank and thought it was a snook or red. It slashed around with its nose at the fly and then mudded down like a ray. One of the craziest things I have seen on a Florida salt flat.

did you report it to FWC? they ask that you send them date and location every time you even see one

don't send them the photo of you hanging it out of the water though
Ah, the wrath of the suk... bb didn't tell me he posted the pic here, but I saw it this morning on another site and figured it may have ended up here too. Anyway, I reported the catch monday morning before sending him the pics from my camera. Biologist called me back yesterday morning to ask a few more questions. There were 7 other sawfish reports filed over the weekend from other areas in the state, but none from the middle of nowhere where we found this one. Had a nice chat about the acoustic tracking program they've been doing in the caloosahatchee and what they're learning from the fin clipping dna samples etc too.

The reporting isn't mandatory, but they are very appreciative of any reports they get, especially with gps coordinates, reasonably close measurements and any pics or information like damaged fins, scars etc, that may help them identify the same fish in the future. In this case the pic is useful because the missing teeth don't grow back, only the broken ones continue to grow. So they may help identify this fish should someone else report it in the future.

She (sounded hot on the ph too...) was also glad we were able to remove the hook and any leader material without incident since it could have affected it's ability to feed or potentially ensnare it among mangrove roots/blow downs etc common to their preferred habitat. Apparently, mono and rope entangled in the nostrum (saw) is a major issue they face with these fish. In lieu of that, they would much prefer the fish was left in the water, but she was pretty certain no one would be cited for handling one in that regard as long as it was done quickly and the fish was not injured in the process. Her opinion was that its largely a matter of safety, circumstance and judgement. They are a very hardy fish, but if it's not reasonably possible to restrain it safely and quickly then it's best to just cut the line as close as possible without removing the fish from the water...
Great info, but I bet she would have preferred that you put headphones and fake money on the fish. Biologist like that.
By befuddled
nice jack!
By BigTimber
i guess they'llbe going back to the drawing board on that BVK?....or is it supposed to come apart for the hero shot?
By LTD
Drakian on fire.........Cary getting some!!!!
[report]
download-5.jpg
download-5.jpg (55.88 KiB) Viewed 858 times
download-1.jpg
download-1.jpg (91.92 KiB) Viewed 858 times
download.jpg
download.jpg (52.69 KiB) Viewed 858 times
[/report]
By BigTimber
That's a sweet rod....
By B.M. Barrelcooker
whew......my last little dose wasn't nearly strong enough.

Thanks for prolonging the fever!
By BigTimber
sure is an awful lot of shit on those boats. how in the hell do you have room to fight fish?
Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Extended Body Paradrake https://live.staticf[…]

Honourable Plat set

https://juega-loteria.blogspot.com/2020/02/cuantas[…]

That'd be me AND Ironman. he made sure to rub his[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine