SaltSpace

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
deerfly

Re: SaltSpace

Post by deerfly » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:52 am

Ty Webb wrote:
backbone wrote:I saw this working down the bank and thought it was a snook or red. It slashed around with its nose at the fly and then mudded down like a ray. One of the craziest things I have seen on a Florida salt flat.

did you report it to FWC? they ask that you send them date and location every time you even see one

don't send them the photo of you hanging it out of the water though
Ah, the wrath of the suk... bb didn't tell me he posted the pic here, but I saw it this morning on another site and figured it may have ended up here too. Anyway, I reported the catch monday morning before sending him the pics from my camera. Biologist called me back yesterday morning to ask a few more questions. There were 7 other sawfish reports filed over the weekend from other areas in the state, but none from the middle of nowhere where we found this one. Had a nice chat about the acoustic tracking program they've been doing in the caloosahatchee and what they're learning from the fin clipping dna samples etc too.

The reporting isn't mandatory, but they are very appreciative of any reports they get, especially with gps coordinates, reasonably close measurements and any pics or information like damaged fins, scars etc, that may help them identify the same fish in the future. In this case the pic is useful because the missing teeth don't grow back, only the broken ones continue to grow. So they may help identify this fish should someone else report it in the future.

She (sounded hot on the ph too...) was also glad we were able to remove the hook and any leader material without incident since it could have affected it's ability to feed or potentially ensnare it among mangrove roots/blow downs etc common to their preferred habitat. Apparently, mono and rope entangled in the nostrum (saw) is a major issue they face with these fish. In lieu of that, they would much prefer the fish was left in the water, but she was pretty certain no one would be cited for handling one in that regard as long as it was done quickly and the fish was not injured in the process. Her opinion was that its largely a matter of safety, circumstance and judgement. They are a very hardy fish, but if it's not reasonably possible to restrain it safely and quickly then it's best to just cut the line as close as possible without removing the fish from the water...
porcupines are normally peaceful creatures, but Dog saw fit to give them quills

Bears Fan

Post by Bears Fan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:00 am

Good info, thanks bud!
"Some days you win, some you lose, and some get rained out." - Outcast

backbone

Post by backbone » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:05 am

My first Jack on fly! Man these things don't quit until there half past dead. I fought him for 20 mins on a prototype 2 piece 10# BVK. He took me about 100 yards into my backing and was heading for a bridge. I was able to turn him and put him in the skiff.
This little guy wanted to eat too. Arrrr

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:26 am

deerfly wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:
backbone wrote:I saw this working down the bank and thought it was a snook or red. It slashed around with its nose at the fly and then mudded down like a ray. One of the craziest things I have seen on a Florida salt flat.

did you report it to FWC? they ask that you send them date and location every time you even see one

don't send them the photo of you hanging it out of the water though
Ah, the wrath of the suk... bb didn't tell me he posted the pic here, but I saw it this morning on another site and figured it may have ended up here too. Anyway, I reported the catch monday morning before sending him the pics from my camera. Biologist called me back yesterday morning to ask a few more questions. There were 7 other sawfish reports filed over the weekend from other areas in the state, but none from the middle of nowhere where we found this one. Had a nice chat about the acoustic tracking program they've been doing in the caloosahatchee and what they're learning from the fin clipping dna samples etc too.

The reporting isn't mandatory, but they are very appreciative of any reports they get, especially with gps coordinates, reasonably close measurements and any pics or information like damaged fins, scars etc, that may help them identify the same fish in the future. In this case the pic is useful because the missing teeth don't grow back, only the broken ones continue to grow. So they may help identify this fish should someone else report it in the future.

She (sounded hot on the ph too...) was also glad we were able to remove the hook and any leader material without incident since it could have affected it's ability to feed or potentially ensnare it among mangrove roots/blow downs etc common to their preferred habitat. Apparently, mono and rope entangled in the nostrum (saw) is a major issue they face with these fish. In lieu of that, they would much prefer the fish was left in the water, but she was pretty certain no one would be cited for handling one in that regard as long as it was done quickly and the fish was not injured in the process. Her opinion was that its largely a matter of safety, circumstance and judgement. They are a very hardy fish, but if it's not reasonably possible to restrain it safely and quickly then it's best to just cut the line as close as possible without removing the fish from the water...
Great info, but I bet she would have preferred that you put headphones and fake money on the fish. Biologist like that.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

befuddled

Post by befuddled » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:32 am

nice jack!
There are so many dildos out there, you''d think setting their phones to vibrate would come naturally. ---SUAF

greedy capitalist/liberal-elitist/gun-toting profit monger

We'll wake the dead motherfucker. Fuck you. ---- Fallen513

BigTimber

Post by BigTimber » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:59 am

i guess they'llbe going back to the drawing board on that BVK?....or is it supposed to come apart for the hero shot?
This place has enough jiggly milkbags, marsupials fisting off, and animated cherubs getting stabbed in the fuck to get anyone shitcanned, if''n their boss can''t take a joke. ~SUAF

Pussy, much like freedom, ain't free.

America has become a dildo that has turned berserkly on its owner. ~McGuane 1971

LTD

Post by LTD » Sun May 19, 2013 6:07 pm

Drakian on fire.........Cary getting some!!!!
[report]
download-5.jpg
download-5.jpg (55.88 KiB) Viewed 856 times
download-1.jpg
download-1.jpg (91.92 KiB) Viewed 856 times
download.jpg
download.jpg (52.69 KiB) Viewed 856 times
[/report]
"At some point reasonable people have to accept certain changes our presence has brought about, learn to not make similar mistakes in the future and appreciate and enjoy what we have while lamenting what we've lost"~~~~~ Muddled Duck

http://www.keywesttarponguides.com

Fish every fish like it's your last!!!

BigTimber

Post by BigTimber » Sun May 19, 2013 7:13 pm

That's a sweet rod....
This place has enough jiggly milkbags, marsupials fisting off, and animated cherubs getting stabbed in the fuck to get anyone shitcanned, if''n their boss can''t take a joke. ~SUAF

America has become a dildo that has turned berserkly on its owner. ~McGuane 1971

southernstrain

Post by southernstrain » Sun May 19, 2013 10:06 pm

Had some beautiful shots today

I will not sleep tonight

backbone

Post by backbone » Mon May 20, 2013 9:00 am

All I have are Iphone pics, but here it goes.

B.M. Barrelcooker

Post by B.M. Barrelcooker » Mon May 20, 2013 9:12 am

whew......my last little dose wasn't nearly strong enough.

Thanks for prolonging the fever!
"worst that can happen is a big fat zero and a fine walk out of doors"---Chadroc

BigTimber

Post by BigTimber » Mon May 20, 2013 9:20 am

sure is an awful lot of shit on those boats. how in the hell do you have room to fight fish?