This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By wvangler
Since LeeO and I pretty much follow the same steps I'll pinch hit for a couple of shots.

Another shot of the teasticks

The next step for a lot of makers (i.e. germanbrown, et. al.) is the oven. LeeO nor I use ovens for heat treating. Just flame.

then split, sometimes despite the three year old

then nodework. plane off the pith, file the enamel, heat the shit out of it with a heatgun, then press in vice

then straightening. Fuck me I hate straightening. The only way it is moderately pleasant is when plenty of empty beer bottles are around to watch. No pics of straightening on my hard drive, I'm too angry at this stage to bother with photos. I do have some video of it that I used in my DVD on rodmaking, but not going to snip out that clip for you goobs. That would take effort, as does straightening. I digress.

Set forms. This pic was already uploaded so I'm using it. It was late one night, too late, when I made this. So excuse the gayness.

Every rod shop needs a mascot. At this point it is downhill so rub the mascot for luck.

then it is planing to .030" over target taper. then resetting the forms and planing to final. then scraping any microscopic residual pith off for good measure

then glue up. slather on some Titebond with a toothbrush, roll it up and run it through the binder.

roll it out for straightness and I lash it down back into my forms with duct tape to make sure it dries straight. then by the next day you can take off the binding cord, sand it off and it is ready to cut to length and ferrule.

no pics of ferruling on my hard drive.

then basically, it is finishing it out just like a plastic rod. only cooler.

that is the really ultra simple version. not including making the reel seat spacer and hardware on the metal lathe, hand twisting the snake guides and hammering out their feet, snapping at least one strip prior to glue up setting you back at least a week, the cussing that ensues, etc.
By stripstrike
Hardcore. That is the SHIT, maing! :Roll Eyes
By wvangler
The only thing on the rod that isn't made by me (or on LeeO's rods by him) is the tip top, stripping guide and ferrule. Someday I intend to make all three of those as well. Someday I'm going get a milling machine and figure out how to make my own reels too.

Whoever said that the greatest thrill of fishing was catching a fish on a fly you made yourself stopped the progression way too early.
By viking
Way to get that kid into his work! I like your business plan, small hands can be very efficient. :cool
By LeeO
Adding on to wvangler's post:
To have a split bamboo rod, there must be split bamboo
The strips are cut to length. Which is half the rod's length plus 2" on each end for fudge factor

The nodes are also staggered during this process so that two will not be directly against another. I use a simple 3x3 stagger.
By LeeO
Next is the hell that is straightening

This is done using a heat gun. Once the bamboo is hot it is very pliable.

So now the strips are straight, next is nodes.

Knock off the nodal ridge
File away the pith side to give room for the bambbo to compress.
Then I heat it
Then I smash it flat in a vise and dress the node flat with a file
By Yard Sale
Man, you guys are fukin CRAZY! I like it though, keep it coming!
By Jacknasty
Truly fukn badass guys. I'm not a freshwater guy, and will probably never buy a bamboo rod, but I can truly appreciate fine craftsmanship. You guys take this shit to a whole 'nother level. Good on you
By LeeO
Cool

OK, the process will start slowing down a bit on this one now.

I've got the strips straight and ready to knock a rough 60 deg

Then the enamel is sanded off. This is a bit tougher with a blonde rod.

Next it is time to plane 0.030" over final taper. So I set the forms and start planing.
By Articulated Trico
Maybe i should pull up my boo floor and start wrapping up some rods? Very cool thread, totally appreciate the entire process! Long ago I saw a slide presentation about bamboo rods. The dude doing it started out with the room dark and walked in casting. All you could hear was the bamboo making such a unique sound loading and unloading. Almost as cool as seeing a wall of smoke on stage. Joey Ramones hand reach out through the smoke and grab the mic and the band kick instantly.
By Adams
Nice work guys. I'd like to try my hand at grass rod making when I'm retirement age, but figure I'll probably have been dead a long time before that age. . .
The return of Stolen Hours

July 9, 2020 #29 $101/6 = $16.83 Gas $2.09 […]

whatcha tying?

EAFBF7A3-214E-43B7-B0FF-17DC654C1410.jpeg

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Opal Cormorant https://live.staticflickr.com[…]

Friday Cheer Through Pics

Damn. Welcome back

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine