This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Hey...serious question guys.....Why do most wade fisherman carry a net when its just as easy to release a fish(esp when its barbless) without putting them in a net? Pictures? Or does putting the fish in the net officially complete the "landing" process for trout?
Ease and pictures.

Sometimes it is not as easy to alnd a fish, especially one that hasnt been played to exhaustion and is still hot, without a net.

Pictures too. Pictures in the net are cheesy, I know, but sometimes you just want to snap a picture of a fish to show your buddies that you aren't a total failure.

I agree about the majority of fish though, most fish I catch just get shaken off the hook and set free with no real handling. Some are punted back, but this is a story for another time.
Heero wrote:Ease and pictures.

Sometimes it is not as easy to alnd a fish, especially one that hasnt been played to exhaustion and is still hot, without a net.

Pictures too. Pictures in the net are cheesy, I know, but sometimes you just want to snap a picture of a fish to show your buddies that you aren't a total failure.

I agree about the majority of fish though, most fish I catch just get shaken off the hook and set free with no real handling. Some are punted back, but this is a story for another time.
You must cry for hours after punting the mountain bone.........It's a 40 yard min, dry of course.
Sorry for the highjack...back to the pinners.
I personally don't own a net. I prefer to catch them by hand, which has resulted in more than a few "lost" fish. I think that I have lost more fumbling for my camera than during a fight. I am taking less and less pictures of the fish, they all start to look the same after awhile. I just don't see the need to anymore (plus, I'm not a very good photographer). If I could take pics like German Brown, that would be a different story.I also think nets are cumbersome...always swingin' around and whatnot....

These are all personal preferences. I don't really care about net vs. hand. Both have their advantages.

:cool
LTD wrote:Hey...serious question guys.....Why do most wade fisherman carry a net when its just as easy to release a fish(esp when its barbless) without putting them in a net? Pictures? Or does putting the fish in the net officially complete the "landing" process for trout?
i can get a fish in the net sooner than in hand...
you can play a fish 50% less---scoop---usually they wiggle thee fly out---free to swim away

no net-- need to play a fish ou till you can get to hand...
I carry a net for the chicks. They love it.

Also, if you fish tandem and multiple fly rigs, landing a flailing fish attached to several other flesh finding hooks is a bad idea without a net. And photos. It also extends your hand for larger fish and stresses them less than me trying to get a grip and wrestle them around to get to the hook.

I've yet to see a pinner on any water in WV.
wvangler wrote:
Also, if you fish tandem and multiple fly rigs, landing a flailing fish attached to several other flesh finding hooks is a bad idea without a net.
I don't know, I've been doing it for 18 years without a net and never had any problems.
I have caught a couple trout and didn't use a net....but the 0x tippit let me land them quick.
maybe I do have too much time on my hands...

but Ive got nothing else better to do when the cars in the shop.
EDIT fuck it, ive given up tryin to get that pic to work, it wasnt that funny anyways.
Last edited by mendthatshit87 on Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm sorry. I shouldn't have offended Canadian beer. Heero can attest to the fact that I like it.
My greeting should have been more like this....

Dear Rapist of cold water fisheries......If you like Trout slitter could be thrown in there for good measure as well.
in my years on the Driftless spring cricks I have only seen one pinner. and he was a tourist from MD. seemed like a nice enough fellow. he was walikng out as I was walking in.

There is a bit of fuss that I hear on lake michigan, not so much on Gitchee Gummi. One of the sites i get steel reports from has added a centerpin section, and after peruising it I gotthe feeling I was on a worm dunker site. I don't know, if they do it w/o interfering with anyone else i don't see the harm. nut if they start hogging 100's of yards of water, gettin in peoples drifts, shootin yer hole, shit like that, then i'd take umbrage with them. but until they do something to me or my crew, i can't really talk too much shit. life here in minny is just too dman good. ain't that right, mr. white?
The return of Stolen Hours

July 9, 2020 #29 $101/6 = $16.83 Gas $2.09 […]

whatcha tying?

EAFBF7A3-214E-43B7-B0FF-17DC654C1410.jpeg

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Opal Cormorant https://live.staticflickr.com[…]

Friday Cheer Through Pics

Damn. Welcome back

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine