This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By flybug.pa.
Those really are fine looking pieces of craftmanship, and i am really getting excited . N8 ,i really love that tattoo of that chicks ass. I wish the girls would display more of them :coffee
By Fishmaster Flex
Glista wrote: Although I use graphite rods most of the time myself I must agree with Marcelo and Nick on this one. Given comparable weight rods, a good caster can through just as much line, if not more with the bamboo rod. The transfer of energy from rod to line is much more efficient with bamboo. The big problem is that most of us are used to graphite and don’t know how to properly cast a bamboo rod.
I guess you got me there. Only ever tried to throw a few of them and the results were not fantastic. They just remind me too much of Dick Cheney and other douchebags who think of them as status symbols to one up each other and hoard like expensive bottles of wine that people like me don't give a shit about. With the decline in the sport's popularity I hope to be able to buy them up for pennies when all these old timey types die of heart failure. I would like to see someone throw 100 feet with a 5wt bamboo rod.
By Marcelo Calviello
Fishmaster Flex, you can ask Mr. Bob White about some Argentine rivers particularities. For example the famous "Chimehuin Boca" is impossible to fish in the right way if you are not able to cast 100 feets or more. This is one of my favorite places to fish and I do it with a #5 and with a #6 bamboo rod. As I told if you got the right rod, if you own the right timing and a balanced equipment that is not a problem.
I can agree with you that some old bamboo rods, specially parabolics are difficult to work against wind and distance, and this was what turn myself from a collectionist to a maker: the pursuit of the right rod to fish Argentine waters. :cool
By Kinni
Sr. Calviello,
feel free to send an 8wt up this way. i'd be happy to fish for great lakes steelhead for it, and post pics and video to prove to folks the power and versatility of your rods. product placement if you will. :cool ;-)
Last edited by Kinni on Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
By nllaeder
Fishmaster Flex wrote:
Glista wrote: Although I use graphite rods most of the time myself I must agree with Marcelo and Nick on this one. Given comparable weight rods, a good caster can through just as much line, if not more with the bamboo rod. The transfer of energy from rod to line is much more efficient with bamboo. The big problem is that most of us are used to graphite and don’t know how to properly cast a bamboo rod.
I guess you got me there. Only ever tried to throw a few of them and the results were not fantastic. They just remind me too much of Dick Cheney and other douchebags who think of them as status symbols to one up each other and hoard like expensive bottles of wine that people like me don't give a shit about. With the decline in the sport's popularity I hope to be able to buy them up for pennies when all these old timey types die of heart failure. I would like to see someone throw 100 feet with a 5wt bamboo rod.
I have personally seen Matt Schliske, of Schliske Bamboo (germanbrown), cast an entire line (33 yards) with a 6wt. I can only assume he can do it with a five as well, since he made it look easy as hell. And, for the record, this was two years ago, on the Poudre River - right below that bench on the side of the road near the old Hatchery.
By Articulated Trico
Not a bamboo dude, they must have some backbone too throw one with the smoke on the Chimehuin Boca. ImageCalm day at the boca, along with overal lousy pic! Not sure if this pic has the Joe Brooks rock in it?
All the exprience I have with bamboo is with the smaller rods. One question I have for all the Bamboo afficionado's is can you pick up and water haul and transfer or create enough energy to shoot some serious line? One thing that I really like and rely on with all the newer fast rods(am showing my jaded side by even saying "new fast rod"seems like they are all fast now) is their ablility to load incredibly fast. Using minimal false cast and creating amazing line speed. I might wanna try a bamboo spey rod, where many times slower is better for loading, control, and distance.

I think Cheney uses T&T? At least from what I remember?
By Marcelo Calviello
Articulated Trico

As you said, your picture shows a calm day at the Chimehuin Boca. Many famous rocks live there with many famous names also. I don´t like to fish the lake. I prefer the first 150 mts. before the bridge and the 200 mts. after the bridge. Specially one spot called "Marcovechio" where every year a big brown make his own territory.

Perhaps with some effort you can see the line.
By wvangler
Marcelo, I have always loved that shot and your rods. Being a bamboo rodmaker myself it is cheaper for me to just make any rods I want for my own self. I can count the number of bamboo rodmakers I'd pay for a rod for on one hand. You make the list. One day I hope to purchase one of your innovative rods. One day. Of course I'll have to sell 5 rods to pay for it, but it will be worth it when I do.
By flybug.pa.
there is alot of butt kissing going on here, will someone please kiss mine when they get a spare moment? please o please :cheer
By flybug.pa.
I love the pictures , they capture my mind and take me places i have not yet fished :coffee
whatcha tying?

Mostly Kori spey fly

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Olive Bunny Cormorant https://live.staticfli[…]

The return of Stolen Hours

moving forward again after catching up with the ba[…]

Rock curry

That could be our final destination on the Tour […]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine