Musky Addicts Anonymous

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Maniac

Re: Musky Addicts Anonymous

Post by Maniac » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:55 am

BTW, I NEVER let anybody else net my fish. That way I don't have anybody to blame except myself if the fish is lost at the net.
(Well, I did once a few years ago when Maniac netted a brown for me pushing 40"...guess what happened? He was so dumbfounded (stoned?), that he didn't restrain the fish, and it slithered out of the net before a tape and a photo.)
For the record, it was a tiny trout net about 12 inches long, and a 12-pound trout just doesn't fit...the brown made a leap and I raised the net up quick to try to contain her, but it was too late, honest to God, she just fell out. Kyle & I were sober that day too....

but I made up for it by knocking over a water bottle just as Tx just about gets a musky eat and poof she's gone...

good times, good times....

TX.

Post by TX. » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:37 pm

Maniac wrote:
For the record, it was a tiny trout net about 12 inches long, and a 12-pound trout just doesn't fit...the brown made a leap and I raised the net up quick to try to contain her, but it was too late, honest to God, she just fell out. Kyle & I were sober that day too....
That in itself shows how stoned you were...The hoop of the net was 19" and it was 18" deep...

Anybody else and I would have been pissed.
...and yeah, don't let metal water bottles roll around in my boat, or I'll throw you into the river (ask Kyle).

........ANYWAY...
Good input on the sticks guys.
Keep it comin' :cool
Which one of you fuckers has a flats skiff in the NC mountains?-southernstrain
Was there also a raft,drift boat,jon boat,and a gheeno in the yard?-Kyle

bullship

Post by bullship » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:19 pm

I don't really know shit about fly poles, and I really don't know shit about musky...but I did really dig the glass composite feel, although a 9' rod seems more practical. i need a rod. I'm sure whatever you come up with will be super. I'll buy one.

InTheDrift

Post by InTheDrift » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:01 pm

I just saw that Scott is still making the "musky special" in the S4S line. Not to get all favorite 5 wt, but has anyone fished this thing? I'm curious to hear the reviews if you have.

TX.

Post by TX. » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:07 pm

It was a "modded" rod...
Not species specific... "heavier tip for casting big flies" WTF?
Guess it'll work, as well as a Redington predator.
I've heard of a few going back to the factory...mainly cause shit fell off, like tip tops.
But I guess it still lays it down FWIW (for what it's worth).
Whatever you're comfortable w/ as far as I'm concerned...No hate, marketing is where it's at.

InTheDrift

Post by InTheDrift » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:23 pm

TX. wrote:It was a "modded" rod...
Not species specific... "heavier tip for casting big flies" WTF?
Guess it'll work, as well as a Redington predator.
I've heard of a few going back to the factory...mainly cause shit fell off, like tip tops.
But I guess it still lays it down FWIW (for what it's worth).
Whatever you're comfortable w/ as far as I'm concerned...No hate, marketing is where it's at.
At close to 8 hundred for the Scott, you could buy 2 of the Redingtons and have one for a backup. Then again, I bet the Redingtons don't lay it down quite as nice. Everybody knows the joy of musky fishing lies in the casting...

I'll stick with my Echos for now.
Attachments
Copy of IMGP1159_resize.JPG
Copy of IMGP1159_resize.JPG (74.89 KiB) Viewed 1087 times

SouthFork

Post by SouthFork » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:49 pm

These are pretty solid sticks. At least they were for Peacocks.

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/produc ... water.html
That was one of the finest examples of spiritual guidance I've ever had the good fortune to witness.

f*carp

Post by f*carp » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:06 pm

InTheDrift and I fish together a bunch so we share similar opinions but I like the TFO clouser 10 for throwing full sinking lines and big flies. Other than that, I agree with the echo3 suggestion.

Haven't fished many Redington rods recently. When I did, they seemed to have durability and fragility issues. I have broken a bunch of them and haven't used many since. Anther buddy had a classic trout and we both liked the way it cast and fish but it too broke during normal use. My take is that I'd rather not deal with that when going for Muskies, other species I may have more tolerance for that shit.

I too would like to here about the Beulah blue waters

TX.

Post by TX. » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:07 pm

InTheDrift wrote:
I had an Echo 1 10#, it was a cannon, badass stick, and castable. I landed a 130# tarpon on it w/ no issue.
Kyle inherited that rod...it got broke in a car door, they sent him the new model. Not even close to the same rod, I think he cried a little.

So:
1: Castable
2: Strong
3:Castable
4:Strong
5:No extended grip.

I think I've got it.

southernstrain

Post by southernstrain » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:59 pm

TX. wrote:
InTheDrift wrote:
I had an Echo 1 10#, it was a cannon, badass stick, and castable. I landed a 130# tarpon on it w/ no issue.
Kyle inherited that rod...it got broke in a car door, they sent him the new model. Not even close to the same rod, I think he cried a little.

So:
1: Castable
2: Strong
3:Castable
4:Strong
5:No extended grip.

I think I've got it.
6. Not $800

That's all i got

InTheDrift

Post by InTheDrift » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:45 am

SouthFork wrote:These are pretty solid sticks. At least they were for Peacocks.

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/produc ... water.html
I had one of those. It was the "baby" model. Could've pulled the boat out with it at the end of the day. It was on the heavy side and for whatever reason, I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with the damn thing. Just couldn't get used to it.

I replaced that with an Axiom 10. Its a powerful rod for sure, and much easier to steer. I use it for heavy sinkin lines and stuff. Haven't had many fish pull on it, but I don't see why it would have any problems.

FatDrunk@Stupid

Post by FatDrunk@Stupid » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:19 am

I just joined the board recently, mainly to be involved with this thread.... You probably remember "corksucker," right?! ...more on that later...

This is just my second post, so I thought I would make it and sit back and listen for awhile. Plus, I respect everyone who fishes for these sons of of bitches, and I felt like this THREAD deserved an intro, instead of just busting into the conversation.

A friend of mine got me into this thing about 4 years ago, and I got one to eat in the first 30 minutes of fishing. It was exactly 2 years and 3 months later that I landed the first one. Since then, we've seemed to do OK, but still F one up now and then. Even had one eat my rod tip instead of the fly in a fig 8 a few months ago....

That's what I like about these fish, it's hard as hell to fish for them, and they ALWAYS teach you something new....

We fish in E. KY, so if you're ever passing through, let me know. I'm sure I can find some fine KY Bourbon for you to sip on.

As far as the "corksuckin'" goes - GUILTY! But I didn't drop my rod in the creek off the raft, and I still have all my fingers - always a little nervous handling those bastages....

I posted some muskies I was lucking enough to land the last couple years (most of the time, the hook fell out in the net....) in my intro. Here's a few I've netted recently...
maa1.jpg
maa1.jpg (21.03 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
maa2.jpg
maa2.jpg (26.42 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
This one is a great story: 64-year old who helped me learn to tie flies, bluegill fly fisherman... He couldn't cast more than 15 ft and made a racket doing it. Had one eat at the boat on his 4th cast, and he broke him off... We got him re-rigged and 5 or 6 more casts, and he had him again.... First musky on fly in less than 20 casts.... Unbelievable!
maa3.jpg
maa3.jpg (31.36 KiB) Viewed 1175 times
Glad to be here, and I hope I can contribute to this thread down the road.