Musky Addicts Anonymous

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Adams

Re: Musky Addicts Anonymous

Post by Adams » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:41 pm

Can we now talk about nets vs grabbing them in the gills? Tailing them is also for pussies. . .
If you need a reason to drink, you have a problem. . .

"I just think it's funny that the one constant in this place over the past five years is that it was a cool place right up until the next person joined." nemo

When life gives you limes, it's Gods way of telling you that you're an idiot. spudnik

Woolybug25

Post by Woolybug25 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:46 pm

Adams wrote:Can we now talk about nets vs grabbing them in the gills? Tailing them is also for pussies. . .
Please...

I have nothing to add worth a shit, but I am enjoying this thread thoroughly. :cool
"All mountain hippies are as young as they day they were born, smarter than Einstein, better looking than Tom Selleck and could outfish an army of pinners." - foureyedgeek

www.hiptothesip.blogspot.com

Vito

Post by Vito » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:07 pm

steelhyde wrote:Fine. Fuck it. You win.
Yes! That is all I really care about. Winning. Fuck the fish.
"And now I am, against my better judgement, high at work." - jhnnythndr

InTheDrift

Post by InTheDrift » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:11 pm

Vito wrote:I'm a big fan of Surflon Micro Supreme. Its soft and easy to tie with. I've heard good things about the Rio Powerflex Wire Bite. I think they are the same or very similar. I think you'll like the softer wire materials. You definitely get better action to the fly compared to heavy fluoro.

I started using a snap last season (no swivel). Just easier to change flies, and not have to change the length of my bite leader every 2-3 fly changes.
This has gotten entertaining.

What size on the snaps and wire?

peetso

Post by peetso » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:15 pm

i've been using fluoro and have had a couple big pike bite me off and will be going with tieable wire exclusively this spring . . . the only consequences i foresee is less walleye by-catch and as a result less tasty suppers.

confession:
this thread is like reading about ruffed grouse when all you get to hunt is spruce hens.
"Cheer up. You are not on fire." - jhnnythndr

the borealist

befuddled

Post by befuddled » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:40 pm

I'm personally interested in these snaps. Do you have a picture of said contraptions?
There are so many dildos out there, you''d think setting their phones to vibrate would come naturally. ---SUAF

greedy capitalist/liberal-elitist/gun-toting profit monger

We'll wake the dead motherfucker. Fuck you. ---- Fallen513

foureyedgeek

Post by foureyedgeek » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:14 pm

some people like Rocky Mountain Oysters... the rest wonder why they are eating balls. - Woolybug

#SavetheDace20XX

foureyedgeek

Post by foureyedgeek » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:17 pm

WTF? How is Snap going to rep it if the YouTube is unavailable?
some people like Rocky Mountain Oysters... the rest wonder why they are eating balls. - Woolybug

#SavetheDace20XX

Nemeth

Post by Nemeth » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 pm

Can I use wire and fluoro at the same time? Did I just have the best idea ever?

Also, nets and tailing are for pussies, I'm gonna make four eyes gator wrestle all my fish into the boat...
"They'd tow their canoe up to the top of the island and the more it wobbled, the better endowed their firstborn son would be... Old river people tradition." - D-Nymph

TX.

Post by TX. » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:21 pm

I fish barbless.
It'll fall out before I'm through cursing.
Fud, I have snaps. next time your up here.
Which one of you fuckers has a flats skiff in the NC mountains?-southernstrain
Was there also a raft,drift boat,jon boat,and a gheeno in the yard?-Kyle

Adams

Post by Adams » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:00 am

TX. wrote:I fish barbless.
It'll fall out before I'm through cursing.
^^^this

I've see muskys throw trebles on plugs that had the barbs pinched down back in my misspent gear chucking youth. . .
If you need a reason to drink, you have a problem. . .

"I just think it's funny that the one constant in this place over the past five years is that it was a cool place right up until the next person joined." nemo

When life gives you limes, it's Gods way of telling you that you're an idiot. spudnik

AftonAngler

Post by AftonAngler » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:43 am

Ginseng Sullivan wrote:i heard the new Pope's a wire guy.
Snicker

Good discussion. I remember TPain's pain when that fish bit off. He was pretty sour for sure.

Any bite off totally sucks. We work so hard for these fish that its natural to want to get every one we can to hand. So I understand the wire use deal. If it makes you feel better I say go for it.

Personally I choose single BARBLESS hook (yes even on articulated) and I stick with my 60# fluoro. Have I been bitten off? Yes, a time or two...I think that I had three clients get cleaned in 2012 out of about 140 fish boated. That's about the average it seems...but I understand the pain. Totally sucks!

With the single barbless I feel the hook will come out most all of the time after a bite off. I have found the fly several times over the years in this situation.

Another note. Had a client the year before last get cleaned off. He swore up and down it was a big musky. I was like...naw, pike spot. We rowed back up and waited a 1/2 hour and fished through. Got another eat...yup, pike and yup his single barbed hook was still deep in the gullet. Pike still ate...

You can go any way with this discussion. It's each anglers own personal decision what to do and what is best.

I'm with NICH in that when a truly big gal gets off for whatever reason I want to dive head first off a building onto hard concrete!

Working with wire day in and day out makes me want to hurt puppies though. And I'm not a mean person.

Maybe someday I'll discover something that keeps the joy alive...it's all about joy you know. For now, for me personally fluoro=joy

What really sucks is weather! I'm cursed!! And I have to admit I'm ZERO for 2013...I've got about eight days on the hunt thus far...TN, VA and MD have all given me shit weather and no lovin'. I bought a new nut cup and keep asking for kicks though...
doubleA

http://www.MuskyCountryOutfitters.com

"Never date the songwriter if you are the lead singer... And a giant whore." blumpkin