Musky Addicts Anonymous

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Aguirre

Re: Musky Addicts Anonymous

Post by Aguirre » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:42 am

Gorgeous fish.
Those things are so badass.
Looks like you wade fish for em? That'd be crazy.
I like crazy. :Roll Eyes :Roll Eyes
"I've been blessed with many things in this life. An arm like a damn rocket, a cock like a Burmese Python and the mind of a fuckin scientist."
-Kenny Fuckin Powers

steelhyde

Post by steelhyde » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:37 am

TX. wrote: So:
1: Castable
2: Strong
3:Castable
4:Strong
5:No extended grip.
I have used a shit pile of different rods over the years for this game and for whatever reason, one rod rules them all - TFO TiCr #10. It just flat out performs for what I need and I can fight off a black bear with it if one so decides to wander into my camp. They've discontinued it (of course) but there are enough floating on fleabay for all of us.

My close second choice is the Scott Muskie-Pike Special. First, I was given the rod for free, which helped me be at ease with the price tag. Second, the rod really does lay it down. It's much more enjoyable to cast than any rod I've used. Drawbacks - It does, at times, lack the back bone needed when I'm throwing a 400gr Streamer Express with a double deer hair mess. I will not use it to cast a triple. I've also broke it on average of about 1.4 times a season. Once on a fish but mostly due to me using the tip to unhook my fly from a wood pile. It's fragile. The extended rear grip is kinda cool but not necessary.

I can't stand the less than 9 foot rods. They're just stupid. With that said, I've only fished the Ross FlyStick. It was horrendously bad.

I fished AA's 11 foot Beulah surf thing with him last day of the season. I thought it was a bit overkill but I didnt give it a chance.

Kylemc

Post by Kylemc » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:50 am

TX. wrote:
InTheDrift wrote:
I'll stick with my Echos for now.
I had an Echo 1 10#, it was a cannon, badass stick, and castable. I landed a 130# tarpon on it w/ no issue.
Kyle inherited that rod...it got broke in a car door, they sent him the new model. Not even close to the same rod, I think he cried a little.
For the record, that particular rod did not get broken in a door. I broke it striper fishing(not on a fish though, shitty cast where lead eyes smacked the tip, snapped 2 cast later.) They replaced it with the ION, I love the flat grey blank and was tickled shitty that they sent it to me. I then cast said ION then proceeded to cry a little. I liked the 1 a lot better. I did get it back in about 2 weeks though which was sweet!
"And sometimes both is required. We; the three of us were rather like the willow. Nothing broke us...Fucking Nothing..."

I forgot the rest.... your mom is a whore...WB25

Tailer

Post by Tailer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:53 am

TX. wrote:So:
1: Castable
2: Strong
3:Castable
4:Strong
5:No extended grip.
Interesting rod discussion here. Sounds a lot like the type of rod I need for snook/tarpon in potholes in the Park. I fished five different #10's this past year down there. Broke three of them, though they usually break in the canoes. Get caught on tree branches, stepped on, etc. As far as I'm concerned there is no match for the older Pro1 as far as balance between fish fighting and cast-able. I love mine, but I hate Loomis cork. Really wish I could get a hold of a blank and build my own.

I'll add one request to the list, but strictly for my own selfish, salty purposes. Offer a one-piece. Please?

T
if you break into my car, I'll go knock a granny on the head - 2Fish

youghriverguide

Post by youghriverguide » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:59 pm

I have always hated shorter fly poles, but I've been thinking that a shorter stick for musky might be in order. I feel like an 8' would be easier to move through the casting stroke, and given the fact that I'm fishing from a boat, and fishing sinking lines most of the time, any distance issues are non-issues. So maybe I'm a retrad, but put me down for the shorty.

Vito

Post by Vito » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:16 pm

steelhyde wrote:I can't stand the less than 9 foot rods. They're just stupid.
Well thats not very nice. I haven't used as many 9-11wt rods as yourself I'm sure, but so far, the 8'3" 10wt predator is the easiest casting/fishing rod I've used. Its not the most powerful rod I've used, but overall, it is the least amount of work. The biggest flies I've fished on it are in the 17" range, but those were definitely pushing the limit. Anything 14" and under is pretty easy.

I've tried a couple other 9 footers, and while I do like them, they are more work for me. Could just be my casting/fishing style. I would still prefer to have a 9 footer I love for a few reasons where extra length would be beneficial. I just haven't found one I like better than the 8'3 10wt predator yet, but I'm looking.
"And now I am, against my better judgement, high at work." - jhnnythndr

ncguy

Post by ncguy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:16 pm

Can we even use the 'S' word on here?
Vito how to you feel about figure eighting with the 8'3" rod? I ended up getting the 9' 10wt predator but I thought the 8 footer might be more durable.
I had to learn banjo. TX
Don't let your sheepfucking ruin the best imaginary relationships you're ever gonna have.-Befuddled
Red has enough good karma in storage that he could start an online business selling it to the world's assholes. Rancho Pancho
if the trip kills you, you won't live to regret it. JT

FatDrunk@Stupid

Post by FatDrunk@Stupid » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:30 pm

Aguirre wrote:Gorgeous fish.
Those things are so badass.
Looks like you wade fish for em? That'd be crazy.
I like crazy. :Roll Eyes :Roll Eyes
We've tried to wade for them when we pass through riffles - still waiting on that strike, which would be effing sweet! These pics were taken where we were lucky enough to be able to get out of the raft to release them.

Ramcatt

Post by Ramcatt » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:52 pm

i'm speaking from casting... not catching
my style is that of few false casts and falling over

TFO Clouser10wt and Axiom were both fun
stiff in the ass, Clouser was a bit looser in the tip
the clouser is heavy in the hand, but with a belgium/shooting/dynamic style you can min the time you are waving it around

Hardy 1pc- sintrix proaxis (whatever its called)
Had this out for like 7days in the fall. in hand it feels too light and too soft.... but its the shit and think it will be killer once i get a fish on it. it will fall apart at bit if you try to carry too much or too big... but on the 8wt i was casting big foam poppers and double bucktail shit- serious flies i thought needed a 10wt ...it is really fun to cast

Beulah blue waters
These have only been at shows in the casting ponds afterhours... they are fucking cannons
13/15wt paired with an SA 14wt line... 2 back casts to clear it
it is a serious stick... only shooting line in the backcast, bucause i can't clean up when shooting on the forward

the lighter one was super nice as well
"Ramcatt is the origninal cuntry fishing troubadour, and the youngest dirty old man to fish these waters"
- Al Goldstein (c.1973)

NICH

Post by NICH » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:32 pm

I have 3 rods that I love... A 9 wt Winston biix and a 10 wt biiix, light responsive and have a generous amount of power when mustered. I think I'll need a 11 or 12 wt this year, But I haven't fished the SX's yet. The BEST all around value that gives the bii 9wt a run for it's money is the Ross FS 9 wt. I picked up the ross for a backup boat rod and for friends that don't have heavier gear, I spent a lot of time fishing the Roos instead of the Winston. But keep in mind I usually fish moderate sized flies for tiger musky, ostly in the 6-9'' range... The double-triple articulated trendy mamagammers just don't produce for me given the tigers staple is baitfish under 9''.

Also on a side note I don't really "like" shorter rods for casting, but you can do some special things to a topwater or weightless flies fished in the top 2' of the water column with the shorties. I've got a couple Ross Flystiks and trust me, they don't suck as bad a Hyde makes them sound, they just feel and act like a shorter rod.
"Did you hand a buddy your coors light and say "watch this" right before posting this shit?" Yard Sale

We've already discussed pissed stained goat pubes and their applications in fly tying... Do a search dumb@$$! JoshO

http://flyobsession.com/

FredA

Post by FredA » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:36 pm

Two in my collection seem to stand out from the rest... the beulah blue water 10/11 and the sage largemouth. The beulah, at 9 foot, as others have stated is a canon. And it's one I can cast big stuff (10-14" for me) all day long. I've not yet gotten any big girls with it but it got the flies out there. And I love the sage bass rod. Hands down my favorite rod to cast... lightweight and slower action. (Even if it is stupid... the short rods have their place) On summer wade trips this rod is great and it's handled big flies and big fish easily for me. I'd probably go one up and get the peacock model for a bit more power if it weren't so damn ugly. Oh and I really wish Redington still made the CPS... I'd love to find one of those 10wts.

I've also got an el-cheapo Albright XX that casts very well with their 10wt int line. I thought that rod would fall to the wayside since purchasing the others but I've always got it ready to go when in the boat. Albright?!? Did I really just mention them?

Tailer, I had a 9'6" Loomis something-or-other 10wt I used for a while for musky. I hated the cork too. Or maybe it was the shape of the grip. Either way, I was only good for about a half hour with that stick and my arm and elbow were shot. Sure hope that gheybayer that bought it has arms like our very own mr. blumpkin.

Lando

Post by Lando » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:39 pm

X 2 on the Ross plug.
If my tombstone reads, "He never ate sushi." it won't be a lie, and I'll be OK with that.

~Average Joe