This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
User avatar
By Vito
#515144
No fight from me. As fly fishing for muskie gains popularity, I think its important for anglers to know bite offs don't, and shouldn't, have to be part of the game. Thats all.

You're not leaving a #12 stonefly in a fish. You're leaving a fly that could hinder its feeding and/or end up killing it.
User avatar
By Vito
#515252
steelhyde wrote:I think the hooks work themselves out.
I'm sure they can/do, but how long does it take? What if it takes a week? Two weeks? Maybe longer, and that fish is unable to feed during that time?

I know thats probably worst case scenario, but its easily preventable. The more guys that are out there and getting bite offs, the more this situation could play itself out. Thats my concern. I don't care if some guy loses a fish. I care what happens to the fish afterward.
User avatar
By Tailer
#515254
I'd be a lot more worried about leaving a double-hooked articulated fly in a fishes mouth than a single. Just last week I pulled a redfish out of the grass, belly-up, with a Spook in this mouth. The back treble was stuck in his upper jaw and the front treble was caught in his gill plate. No doubt he starved.
User avatar
By Crick Addict
#515256
Vito wrote:
steelhyde wrote:I think the hooks work themselves out.
I'm sure they can/do, but how long does it take? What if it takes a week? Two weeks? Maybe longer, and that fish is unable to feed during that time?

I know thats probably worst case scenario, but its easily preventable. The more guys that are out there and getting bite offs, the more this situation could play itself out. Thats my concern. I don't care if some guy loses a fish. I care what happens to the fish afterward.
It's only a fish for dogsakes. It's not like a child or a baby kid... :coffee
User avatar
By Vito
#515257
Crick Addict wrote:It's only a fish for dogsakes. It's not like a child or a baby kid... :coffee
I get that, trust me, I do. But why not stop something thats easily preventable? They aren't trout or bluegills. Many lakes around the country rely on stockings to sustain a muskie fishery. And muskies have a very low success rate when it comes to reproduction. Why not avoid killing fish when its easily preventable? At some point shouldn't we be responsible? Guys get drilled on here for laying a trout on the rocks, but its no big deal to leave a 10" fly in a fish's mouth?
User avatar
By steelhyde
#515263
I have, on occasion, left flies in a musky's mouth when fishing alone. Some times landing the fish, dealing with tools, and unhooking the fish solo is too much and cutting off the fly is the easiest route.

I got curious about it and contacted the WIDNR musky manager as to what is the right thing to do and he said:
I think you did the right thing with that deep-hooked fish. In most cases, that hook will work its way out. That fish's chances are probably better than if you had worked long and hard to try to remove the hook, especially with the fish out of water in the heat. Any time we have fishing, catch and release or otherwise, some fish are going to die. We try to take that into account in our management.


Tim Simonson, CFP
Bureau of Fisheries Management
PO BOX 7921, 101 S Webster Street
Madison, WI 53707
As for this comment:
Crick Addict wrote: It's only a fish for dogsakes. It's not like a child or a baby kid... :coffee
These are not trout and there are not billions of them per mile. Vito makes a good point - but he does sound like a wiener calling me irresponsible for using fluoro instead of wire.
User avatar
By Vito
#515264
steelhyde wrote:but he does sound like a wiener calling me irresponsible for using fluoro instead of wire.
I know you love that word.
User avatar
By Crick Addict
#515267
Crick Addict wrote:
Vito wrote:
steelhyde wrote:I think the hooks work themselves out.
I'm sure they can/do, but how long does it take? What if it takes a week? Two weeks? Maybe longer, and that fish is unable to feed during that time?

I know thats probably worst case scenario, but its easily preventable. The more guys that are out there and getting bite offs, the more this situation could play itself out. Thats my concern. I don't care if some guy loses a fish. I care what happens to the fish afterward.
It's only a fish for dogsakes. It's not like a child or a baby kid... :coffee
I joke...maybe i used the wrong emoticon. :bomb
User avatar
By Vito
#515268
Crick Addict wrote:I joke...maybe i used the wrong emoticon. :bomb
Hey, its a touchy subject...haha. You can spear muskies in MI, so its a constant battle to try to reduce the number of fish getting speared every year. I hear the "its just a fish" a lot, so I'm a little sensitive. :cool
  • 1
  • 152
  • 153
  • 154
  • 155
  • 156
  • 222

I’m moving up to Dillon this month. They tol[…]

Friday Cheer Through Pics

Ok Friday, suck it... https://m.youtube.com/watc[…]

Hah. You don’t get an answer while we&r[…]

Things That PISS Me Off!

jeff grosso. poor fucker.

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine