request... it's for the youths

Got something to sell? Need a job? Post your for sale ads and resumes here. IMPORTANT: this forum for non-professional posts. If you are a professional organization and would like to post your ad here, please contact us at info@drakemag.com.
burgerthumb

request... it's for the youths

Post by burgerthumb » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:10 pm

So.
I work as a teacher.
I work at a little hippy school in VT. We have a nice river with bass and trout within walking distance from my classroom.

Being a hippy school with all sorts of radical and weird notions about learning, it affords students and teachers 2.5 hours of 'elective' time each week. I get to elect what class I teach on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons.

Not sure how wise a move it is, but for the spring I am teaching fly-fishing. And I need some rods, reels, and lines in trout and bass weights (4-7?) that kids can use. Would you consider lending a setup for the end of the March through mid-June? That's the request. I just need a handful of rods to make it happen.

It's an independent school, but most (85%) of our students are publicly funded, and I don't want to offer my class only to the kids whose daddies can afford to run out and buy them a rod. I'm not interested in anything fancy or too valuable. These are high school kids and they've got a much higher than average chance of breaking something. On the other hand, they are good kids, and with probably less than 8 kids in the class, I can keep an eye on them pretty well.

Let me know if you'd be up for this via pm.

Thanks!
"...when it's your favorite stream, at some point...ya just gotta stand in front of the bulldozers." -Deerhawk

pbrstreetgang

Re: request... it's for the youths

Post by pbrstreetgang » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:36 pm

I can lend you the following for your class:

- 2 Echo practice rods
- 1 Orvis Battenkill/TLS 3 wt
- 1 Orvis Battenkill/Streamline 5 wt
- 1 Echo Ion 7 wt (no reel, but I am looking)

Let me know where to send them.

Sound cool. I always wanted to do something like this when I taught. Kudos to you.
:cool
Everybody knows this is nowhere...

Yard Sale

Post by Yard Sale » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:50 pm

I gots a 5wt reel for you.
[quote="locogringo"]I used to wear those Skagit shorts but they were too loose and sometimes would expose my d loop and my perry poke would fall out.[/]

Hogleg

Post by Hogleg » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:55 pm

I fucking loathe hippies but I'll send you a rig. It ain't nothing special but it's serviceable and you can keep it. I don't want no patchouli smelling shit coming back to me. Just shoot me your address.

Edit for what I can send:

9' 5wt 2piece low end something or another and a Martin reel loaded with a 5 WF floating line and some shitty, brittle tippet. I think it has white tactical backing on it but I'm not sure.
"girls with eating disorders will usually let you come in there in butt." -Jhnnythndr
"...my grandmother’s Tang always tasted like rusty water and dirty socks." - Average Joe
"with some limited exceptions steelhead live where the lady selection is sparce." - MTG

MaineDrifter

Post by MaineDrifter » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:45 am

I'll send along two 5wt outfits, some flies that the fish in Maine won't eat and some stickers, kids need stickers.
Thank you for doing this,
"Lovingly massage your hog leg with olive oil, and then cover it with the spice mix." _Average Joe

burgerthumb

Post by burgerthumb » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:38 pm

Guys.
Thanks doesn't even begin to say it.

I am consistently floored by the generosity of folks on this board. This post has been up less than a day and I already have offers enough to take care all of the kids I could handle in my class safely. Remarkable.

I've contacted you all through PM. I know PMs are acting wonky for a lot of folks, so if you didn't get the info let me know on a post here.

I'll try to keep you posted on the progress of the kids. It'll be a while, though. Still plenty of snow on the ground. Probably won't get a fly wet until early April.

tippet and flies are alway helpful, too!
"...when it's your favorite stream, at some point...ya just gotta stand in front of the bulldozers." -Deerhawk

thalweg

Post by thalweg » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:45 pm

DUTY NOW FOR THE FUTURE!
Hey burg, got piles of trout stuff I don't use anymore...stuff I don't need back. shoot me a pm and as soon as I am able to read it I will send you a package.
"only two things smell like fish... and one of them is fish." -grandpa

"Please take a brief moment to answer this question as the ferry approaches the shore.
Do you have the coin to pay for your passage, or the courage to take up the oar?" -the sword

"Dreams are free motherfucker!" -d boon

Genome

Post by Genome » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:37 pm

I Teach Biology in the Ozarks and wanted to do the same thing. Snuffbox sent some info my way about the "Fly Fishing in Schools" program http://www.schoolofflyfishing.com . They fund half the cost of the equipment and curriculum after you put in a short grant proposal. I funded the other half through another small grant I wrote. I got a crap ton of equipment for effectively nothing (10 5wt rod/reels, line, tons of casting targets, curriculum, training aids, instructor training, etc). Katie Cole is the lead instructor and she has developed a nice program. She flew from Oregon to a shithole town in the Ozarks to train us in the program. Snuff and I sat through the training this time last year. I think he would agree its good program with plenty of room to adapt curriculum for your needs. To late to get this going this year but if you put in the grant proposal this school year you should be good to go by next school year.

Hogleg

Post by Hogleg » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:39 pm

Methinks that my PM box is fucked up- did not receive one from you Burg.
"girls with eating disorders will usually let you come in there in butt." -Jhnnythndr
"...my grandmother’s Tang always tasted like rusty water and dirty socks." - Average Joe
"with some limited exceptions steelhead live where the lady selection is sparce." - MTG

pbrstreetgang

Post by pbrstreetgang » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:52 pm

No PM from you in the Inbox, Burgerthumb
Everybody knows this is nowhere...

Tailer

Post by Tailer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:53 pm

Its probably the PM system cause I got one from 'Thumb earlier today. Welcome to the new Drake. Its just like the old one, except its fucked.
if you break into my car, I'll go knock a granny on the head - 2Fish

Hogleg

Post by Hogleg » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:36 pm

Tailer wrote:Welcome to the new Drake. Its just like the old one, except its fucked.
Gonna have to take that one for a new sig line. Too bad no one will be able to read it unless they happen to be wearing a welding helmet...