the last ride of the starcraft.

Got something to sell? Need a job? Post your for sale ads and resumes here. IMPORTANT: this forum for non-professional posts. If you are a professional organization and would like to post your ad here, please contact us at info@drakemag.com.
chadroc

the last ride of the starcraft.

Post by chadroc » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:03 pm

here, we should be put in the bitching room, for bitch we will. and let be.
my life has been a hell hole of stress over the past several weeks. many, many storms have converged. i'd be in the confessional if i wanted to elaborate. i can't. i can give a p.sa for none seppos. if you feel you need to talk, find someone to talk to. it helps me dearly. i can't wait for the next visit. whatever the issue is, you don't gotta bear it alone.

we were camping people as kids. it was cheep and fun. we camped in a 60s era camper my grandpa gave to my father. those campers back then were like tanks. it must have weighed a ton. heavy canvas, hot as hell in the morning. but great.

we started our annual campout in that camper and we had to use 2x4s to hold up the top, and we tied the fucker off to trees for stability. country folk do such things. it worked. we made fun of ourselves. we had fun. that was 21 years ago. a decade ago me and my old man went in on halves on a new camper. it was a 90s vintage. it was lightweight and easy to set up, but it wasn't super sturdy. we loved it the first year we had it to camp in. the next year my old man called me on opening day of fishing season, the weekend before our annual. he said, pal. we gotta problem with the camper. i didn't wanna hear that, i was knee deep in stockies. quantity over quality. a day of the people. but i went home. it had been decimated by mice.

the damage was remarkable. i took one look and said fuck this shit. things dead to me. my old man said hey, lets give it an hour and see how it goes. if its too much, we'll see if we can buy new canvases. so we gave it an hour. my old man was a hard ass worker and he had a great attitude about it. i had fallen on hard times back then and i had moved back in with him and ma to save up some coin. it was then that i met who is now my wife. it was then that i really decided to become a man. a lot of it was my fathers influence on me.

i got into the cleaning. his good attitude rubbed off on me and we got the music going. he loved neil young. we shop vacd the fucker, we started scrubbing. bleach and brillo and elbow grease. we cleaned and cleaned. after a while, we could see the light at the end of the tunnel. we were going to be able to camp in the camper. we did it together. that period of time was when i was closest to my dad in my whole life.

we went camping the next week and he died in the bathroom and i found him. i confessed this story once, its buried in the bitching room.

life went on. a few years later i ponied up the coin for a brand spanking new used camper. i've had it for a few years and its been fun to camp in. but i have realized over the past few weeks that it is a symbol of the worst day of my life. i walk directly past the talisman of doom that causes me stress and anxiety. i literally walk past, daily, the visage of the most traumatic event of my life. what a fucking dumb ass. i don't need to do this. for one weekend a year. i told my wife, i'm selling the fucking camper for whatever coin i can and we're getting a tenting outfit with that coin. she said, good. it sits out there and it tortures you. she is the greatest thing that has and ever will happen to me.

i went out there this morning bright and early, before tumbling class with the kids (10:30). i popped the fucker up to a sheer devestation.

this is why we don't leave the fucking curtains in a camper. whoops.

broken lawn mower on the other side. brambles in the back. ratchet, my boys call this shit. i call it country.

so fuck this. we're still going to tumbling. then i'm going to the store for a shitload of bleach and brillo. camp is this fucking thursday and i've got shit all week jamming me up until then. and i'm going to go. i set up a table, i put on some music. i got out the elbow grease.

i saw one. i got mad lucky. not a marksman.

after a slow start, the big rig started rolling downhill. my uncle jim came by to offer moral support. he has pulmonary fibrosis and is on oxygen and the never moving list of $1.5mil kidney transplants. he can't get dirty cleaning, but he has always been there to help me out and in my shitstorm of recent stress he met me out on a well stocked river and i laid down heavy on him and he gave wonderful advice and comforted me. i love this man. he talked me down and we just talked. he isn't supposed to drink in case the miracle call comes in and he has to leave for boston to get his new lung. we had 1.5 each, half each on shares and we talked for better than an hour. it was cathartic. he told me he was feeling very grateful of late, and he told me that he was so sorry the mice had destroyed my camper. he meant it. i appreciated it.

i made a live capture. the intention was to jab a hook through this mouse and toss it out into a bass pond. but it died before i could do so. and i cleaned till well past dark anyhow.

at this point, i wouldn't sleep in it yet. but i got 3 days to bleach and scrub and soak the fucker. then, after next weekend, thats it. no more campers for this guy. this is it boys, the last ride of the starcraft. if i can get there in one piece, i'll catch a hundred stockies, hopefully win the fishman of the year award (biggest trout) and eat some great food. i'll fish with my brothers and my friends, i'll be ok. you just gotta keep on going. and talk to someone when you need to.

Last edited by chadroc on Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
holding it down on the other side of the border

enjoy your catch (it died)

SLSS

Re: the last ride of the starcraft.

Post by SLSS » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:07 pm

Talk to someone when you need to. Or even when you just have a bug up yer ass.

My Obi-wan was a wonderful woman about 10 years older than me. Yeah, not what'yall are thinking. Gutters, the bunch of you. A counselor who eventually told me I needed to quit making appointments because I was fine and we'd just become friends and were visiting and I shouldn't be paying for that. But it was twice in my life she was critical to me making it through before we got to that point. I saw something on the itnerwebs today about being a man, about providing, being tough, blah, blah, blah, John Wayne shit. Watch The Searchers- John Wayne. That's what that'll get you- fucked up. Find someone to talk to.

I feel your pain on the mold and critters too. While I was laid up over the past few years, some maintenance/housekeeping shit got away from me. I'm not diligent about it on my best day, but it appeared the the winter before last raccoons tore through the roof of my old studio.Two winters worth of snow and ice and cold dropped in on the contents, including my collection of fly fishing books, going back 40 years. I had planned on selling them all to buy a raft once we moved. Instead I chucked them into a dumpster, all formerly $6000.00 - $7000.00 worth. Raccoons. I'm a fairly live-and-let-live type guy, but I'd have shot them given the chance.

Keep talking when you need to. And get rid of that tent trailer unless you can store it inside. And even then.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

chadroc

Post by chadroc » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:26 pm

the second to last ride of the starcraft. last year's campout.

day 1 i'm solo in my camper but ronnie and mike are in with their natchaug hilton.

2 good shits. they go to bed early, like bitches. i listen to my own music and have a smoke and listen to the river behind me when i go to bed.

yawn.

stockies.

i started a cooler. we deep fry the fuck out of these fish. lard on lard.

thanks bob.

folks start showing up and uncle jim gets his camper set up. by dinner time, we've got a good crew. by dark thirty its getting a little foggy.

yawn.

go catch more stockies. and make a quick run out to a wild fish stream.

light saber.

hang out at camp until my kids come by for a visit. they're still too young, but i hope to have them out for overnight in the next couple years, but at the same time as a father of 2 rug rats, i cherish a full weekend on my own, but at the same time, i miss these little crumb crushers like all hell.

the kids head out and we fuck up a bunch of shitty filets destined for the hot lard treatment.

slop bucket.

deep fry anything with the right amount of batter.

and its good.

spend a good deal of time in my uncles camper listening to my other uncle sing tom waits songs. the heart of saturday night.

wake up sunday morning triple hungover and wanting nothing more than to stay another day. pack it all back in for next year, sit around for a while until the beer is gone, go on back home.

chadroc

Post by chadroc » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:34 pm

stay up all night, getting drunk, sleeping on a hollow log. begin composition of insane craig's list ad. feel asking price for camper will be $250 firm. will lay in the OBO 2nd week. google instructions for turning camper into trailer for dump runs. google sick ass tents.

yes, slss, when you need to. or teh suk in the meantime.

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:05 am

don't forget to post the death march out of your drive for that thing.

we'll refer to it as closure.

:cool
progression is not addition.
progression takes a cunningness, tact and a certain level of ruthlessness.
you'll find they go hand in hand as we poison their water, josh.

-anonymous mtice

pbrstreetgang

Post by pbrstreetgang » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:09 am

I can smell those fish frying. I need to take killing notes, right 'tard/ironman?

Great content - real living stuff.
:cool
Everybody knows this is nowhere...

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:30 am

fish handlin' peebs.jpg
fish handlin' peebs.jpg (28.55 KiB) Viewed 3679 times
peeb's rusthead.jpg
peeb's rusthead.jpg (53.46 KiB) Viewed 3679 times

-anonymous mtice

fatman

Post by fatman » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:45 am

that was fine, Chad

reminds me of days past with my wife's menfolk fambly down in the Ozark
trout parks. Good memories. And yes, when Grandpa died, we sold his camper.

My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

RaZ

Post by RaZ » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:48 am

very cool man. always wanted a camper, but as you show h ere, its a pain and you use it maybe once a year.
"Then let us know how that goes, you smug motherfucker"

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:08 am

yeah... unless you're blummers.

and that, children... is how from behind... you can punch someone in the balls.

-anonymous mtice

ironman

Post by ironman » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:26 pm

Good for you, man. Send the old girl out in style.

And PBR - the stench of the goings on could be detected from the riffle below. Ask Fatman. You should pay a fiver on GP.
"if you don't understand the perfect logic of this, then you may as well fuck right off Teh Suk" - Fatman

"I took a Japanese whaling approach to panfishing as a kid." - Boomin

DizzyDean

Post by DizzyDean » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:54 pm

Reminds me of fishing trips with my gramps and their old trailer. Thanks a lot for that.
my blog from the Sierras

http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com