WTB: Two cases of cerveza and a lesson in humility. Part two.five

Got something to sell? Need a job? Post your for sale ads and resumes here. IMPORTANT: this forum for non-professional posts. If you are a professional organization and would like to post your ad here, please contact us at info@drakemag.com.
stillsteamin

WTB: Two cases of cerveza and a lesson in humility. Part two.five

Post by stillsteamin » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:19 am

[report]

Friend of a friend, small town car mechanic, when presented with any sort of philosophical question about life, likes to shake his head and say “ya just can’t know.”

I love that phrase. The way he means it has no deeper meaning, it’s not an attempt at aloofness. Sometimes ya just can’t know. Total release from responsibility like that first breath of mountain air through a rolled down window, better than a Xanax, the sweaty car seat with french fry crumbs in the cracks is new again, a feeling that runs straight through the brain like two fat fingers of Kentucky brown wine.

So I got it into my head that I was going to catch a roosterfish from a desert beach, then fly across the country and catch a grand slam in the jungles of the Yucatan. Never been to Mexico before, never even seen a permit. Why did I think, expect it would happen like that? Ignorance probably, but ya just can’t know. Luckily I've a cool girl, and some of the best friends a guy could ask for in life, so one way flights were cobbled together for a better deal, too many of the wrong flies and not enough of the right ones were tied, plans were made, thrown away, and made again, concerned families were brushed away with a laugh. Shit, until I stepped onto that east cape beach the first morning, everything was coming together nicely.
The first week would be just the girl and I. We stayed in a guest house owned by a couple from California, two dusty arroyos north of the fishing town Los Barriles. Offshore cruisers anchored in the bay with names like El Oso Blanco and Desperado II, cattle and goats on main street, flowers hanging over the stucco walls, a few old gringo fisherman with skin like well-conditioned baseball gloves bellied up to the rail of a tin-roofed cantina.

Between google, a couple email addresses I’d found online, and the homeowner, I had what I thought was a good spot in mind. Mid-April wasn’t prime time, but it was what worked. Just find the bait, and you’ll find the fish. Get a fly in front of them, strip it as fast as you can, try not to screw up. Didn’t sound that hard. We packed the cooler, strung up a few rods, and pointed the Jeep down the coast.

My first thought was “damn there’s a lot of beach here …. ya it’s the ocean stupid.” Not sure what I’d expected. Despite being a 4x4 the Jeep didn’t handle the soft sand well with its road tires so we parked in a spot that looked like every other spot along the miles of beach to the north and the south. Yoga pants practiced her casting, chased after crabs. I had another cup of coffee, snapped the only spinning rod I’d brought in half casting a spoon for mackerel. Esta bien. Rigged up the fly rods, sat on the cooler and waited for visibility. A couple of guys rolled by in quads, rods rigged in pvc pipes clamped to plastic cartons on the front racks.

When the sun got high enough I noticed a submerged rock pile about 100 yards down from us. Despite having no idea what a roosterfish looked like in the water, I was pretty sure I hadn’t seen any yet, so I grabbed a rod and walked toward the rocks. Maybe there would be baitfish. From above I could see what was actually two rock piles, so I hucked a cast between them, still learning the 10wt and outbound short line. I tucked the rod under my arm like I’d seen done, and got about two and a half strips in before a shadow, a swirl, and a jolt through the rod like I’d slammed it in a car door. I lost the line at my feet, then the line on the reel and enough backing to make me glance down and tighten the drag. I pumped and reeled down on the strong mystery fish, and after another smaller run worked it back into the surf.

El torro, jack crevalle. A good one too, I thought.

Excited, I kept casting. Which is how I discovered challenge #1: Needlefish. The little fuckers were everywhere. I had half a dozen flies shredded before I learned to recognize their shape and stupid jumping pursuit after my fly. Annoyed but still buzzing from the quick success I sat on the cooler and multiplied the feeling with a few Pacifico’s.

I actually think starting by staying still helped. I noticed things I may not have had I been cruising around on an ATV. Dolphins rolling off the break line, sea lions diving to clean up the scraps, clouds of bait moving up and down, always the same depth and distance from the beach, crabs peeking from their holes, all sorts of beach birds, pelicans diving, rays jumping and slapping back down, the occasional sea turtle.

There was a pescadora’s shack a few hundred yards down, with three old pangas and one new one scattered around. Earlier in the morning I’d watched two guys in the new panga hit the beach at full power, expertly tipping the motor just before impact and plowing halfway up the sand to the shack, then hopping out and winching it the rest of the way up. They had a friendly guard god that kept watch all day, every day from the scattered shade of the shack.

A third of the way through what I’d allotted for the day’s cervezas, I grabbed a rod and walked back down toward the rock piles. A few casts went without response before I bent down to address challenge #2: line around my feet. Always. Caught on ankles, toes, tied in impossible knots by the arriving and receding surf. I looked back up and immediately fixed on something long, dark, and coming in hot. It was pez gallo, and it was grande.

Sitting on the cooler I hadn’t really been sure what I was looking for. I was pretty sure they’d look dark, but other fish look dark. Would I be able to see the comb? I was confident that somehow I’d recognize one when I saw it, they were supposed to be fast.

I’d been right, every tightened muscle in my body knew it, my vision tunneled to the dark sports car roaring in from the deep blue, just under the chop. It’s like I’d been sitting on the sand watching a pickup ball game featuring a bunch of short, suburban white kids and Shaq had just walked onto the court and ripped the rim off the backboard. You’d notice that, and I noticed this, and it was headed right for me. Challenge #3: Roosters are fast. As it neared the beach, it veered to my right, comb slicing at what might as well have been 100mph. My first cast landed where the fish had been when I’d shot line, which was now 15 feet behind it. Mid way through my second attempt, I noticed the rock piles were no longer in front of me, but down the beach, moving away. What the fuck. With my feet planted in the sand I tried to catch up with a longer cast which not only hit the steep sand bank behind me on the way back but also tangled around the reel, my hand, and my foot simultaneously. By then I was yelling a lot of unintelligible stuff like the dad from A Christmas Story, realized I needed to move, hopped for a few feet on one leg as I shook the other free from my running line, and then took off down the beach at a dead sprint. It was corralling what I now understood weren’t rocks, but a dark, thick school of bait under the surf line, slashing and circling and somehow still moving fast away from me. I kind of caught up once, close enough to land a desperate, shitty cast 10 feet short. Seconds later it was over, the bait scattered, leaving me bent over on the beach, hands on knees, lungs burning, feeling incredibly pathetic, amazed, and intimidated. Like I’d just been dunked on and gotten a face full of ballsack. On the long walk back to the cooler I began to think rooster fishing might be difficult.

I sat on the cooler the rest of the day, drank the remaining beers, burned my feet to a crisp, watched yoga pants sun tan, practice her casting again, then opened the tequila as afternoon turned to evening.

The food in town was incredible, we dusted off old Spanish class lessons and tried everything. Ceviche, tamales, empanadas, salsas, guacamoles, tacos of every kind, breakfasts, fish dinners. It was cheap, fresh, and redefined my understanding of Mexican cuisine.

Tacos de cabeza from a roadside stand where the lady pressed the maize tortillas fresh to order, served with some type of fruit juice drink called agua fresca that wiped the heat from my mouth with every sip. Five tacos and two juices for what amounted to $5, she was horrified with my equal tip, I think she thought I didn’t understand the bill and needed change.

After the first day, a hard north wind blew for the next 3, unusual for that time of year I was told by the local shop rat, which cut down the fishable beach significantly. Despite the conditions, each day brought a new lesson. Eric from Seattle helped me recognize the difference between sardinas and mullet, and tossed me a few of his favorite flies, declining my offer to share my beers. I learned to recognize schools of jacks from a distance, even saw a school of 50 or so dorado working bait way out of casting range. Watching the guides fish, I decided most fish from the beach probably aren’t caught the way I was trying, they were all throwing large teaser plugs way out to the deep water while their clients stood ready with fly rods. We caught some smaller jacks, yoga pants caught a needlefish that she wouldn’t let me kill unless we ate it, which I wasn’t going to do, and then a pompano which I gladly tossed into the cooler.
I saw another rooster in the morning of day 3, much smaller than the first. I managed to put a fly in front of it, only causing it to speed up on its course down the beach.

That afternoon I got the Jeep stuck in the sand during a trip up to a reef to snorkel. The snorkeling was incredible but I was pissed at the Jeep for not being able to do what it wasn’t equipped for. Naturally it wasn’t my fault. So for the final two days we coughed up a little space in the budget for this bad MF’er.

Thing ate the beach and rough dirt roads for breakfast. It was nice to be able to load everything up and see a lot more beach than we ever could have on foot. All of the gringos in town rode around on quads, and it made us feel a little less like tourists than the shiny, four-door Jeep had.
My favorite part of the whole experience was roaring down the winding, cactus and scrub lined dirt roads out to the beach. First thing in the morning, the land smelled like an incredible mixture of pine, sweet flowers, manure, and something else I couldn’t place, almost like fresh cut hay, and intensified where the cold air settled into low spots. I couldn’t believe arid land could smell like that.

The wind shifted the fourth day, and died the fifth. We were settling into the life, up early, out late at the beach bar or one of the cantinas on main street, fishing, learning, trying to take it all in, never enough time for everything.

Homeowner was nice enough to let us borrow one of his spinning rods so yoga pants could get in the game. Didn’t improve our success any but was fun.

I saw two roosters on day 4 with a shot at one. Unlike day one, I never saw it coming into the beach. A school of sardina I’d been watching suddenly split in half and I recognized the culprit. One good cast, a heart stopping follow, a heart breaking refusal, tossed on my pile of evidence suggesting rooster fishing might be difficult. I kicked the sand back to the shade of the quad, opened a beer, looked up the beach, down the beach, took it all in. In that moment I knew this wouldn’t be the trip. I was worn out, ankles swollen, feet sunburnt, shoulder sore, matched against a fish far superior to any other I'd ever known. I’d be back again, that was for sure, maybe next time. Ya just can’t know.

In part two, we join a bunch of friends in the jungle, and I start to think permit fishing is difficult.[/report]
Last edited by stillsteamin on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"There's nothing more overrated than a piece of ass and there's nothing more underrated than a good shit." -Glen Blackwood

austrotard

Re: WTB: Two cases of cerveza and a lesson in humility

Post by austrotard » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:34 am

pro-tip: 10-15psi.

and she's far too nice for you.

finally. I get to pay a back-handed compliment forward.
smack!
49% of americans assume I give a shit about what they think.

brent_e

Post by brent_e » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:49 am

lucky bastard.

thanks.
You don't sweat much for a fat chick - pibber

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:56 am

Reeeeeeeeal nice. You had me at Pacificos in a can but the rest is just gravy.

too many of the wrong flies and not enough of the right ones were tied
I know that one!
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

fly-chucker

Post by fly-chucker » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:57 am

sweet TR, and nice melons :cool
"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." -CC

"Get off the water you dumb asses…there is a shit storm coming." -Pancho Rancho

"Fucker compared my small stream trout weenie cast to an epileptic with Tourette’s Syndrome." -Carpe Tructa

Lando

Post by Lando » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:48 am

On the long walk back to the cooler I began to think rooster fishing might be difficult.
I bet Hog wants to bitch-slap you right about now.
If my tombstone reads, "He never ate sushi." it won't be a lie, and I'll be OK with that.

~Average Joe

fatman

Post by fatman » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:59 am

if you told me in advance that's all I'd get out of the trip, I'd be packin' in a heartbeat

Real fine :smile
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:16 pm

Lando wrote:
On the long walk back to the cooler I began to think rooster fishing might be difficult.
I bet Hog wants to bitch-slap you right about now.
Definitely drove by the Casa a few times. Much of that looked pretty familiar hotspotter.

Nice report! Can't wait to get back myself. :cool

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27680&hilit=baja+california+sur
That sounds awesome in my ears!! (P-A)

we were basking in goodness here with our everyday drivel that we enjoy.... the rest of this is horseshit, flybug.pa.

chadroc

Post by chadroc » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:23 pm

I'm betting the cooler you sat on and drank all your beer was a yeti. you should know better about the jeep though, you need something sort of hummer-esque.
holding it down on the other side of the border

stillsteamin

Post by stillsteamin » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:38 pm

Bruiser wrote:Can't wait to get back myself.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27680&hilit=baja+california+sur
I knew it was going to be hard. But it is incredibly fucking hard. I kept replaying the quote from Frank in that trailer where he says "Here you are out on this giant ocean, in big water, with a silly little fly rod, trying to catch this giant, brilliant fish, and at some point you've just gotta say to yourself, god... you're really setting yourself up for this not to happen."

I always thought that quote was funny, thought it was overly dramatic, just part of the build up. But dog damn now that I've done it I think it may be an understatement.

Next time I will have an ATV for the whole week and flies tied for durability rather than looks. And sunscreen on my feet.

Last edited by stillsteamin on Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's nothing more overrated than a piece of ass and there's nothing more underrated than a good shit." -Glen Blackwood

Wholetmygoatsout

Post by Wholetmygoatsout » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:42 pm

Muy Bueno, gracias y pantalones de yoga es un portero. :cool
"..I made my living on here drawing dicks for the last 4+ years". RFA

"Sometimes you are the dog, sometimes you are the tree". Mario Gotze

RockyMtHigh

Post by RockyMtHigh » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:46 pm

Super nice. Looks like it was a great time. Thanks for sharing.
wait...what? fuck - Fatman