Friends.

Got something to sell? Need a job? Post your for sale ads and resumes here. IMPORTANT: this forum for non-professional posts. If you are a professional organization and would like to post your ad here, please contact us at info@drakemag.com.
aReelFlyGuy

Re: Friends.

Post by aReelFlyGuy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:56 am

It strikes me that in an "sport" where there are a lot of arrogant bastards, there are still plenty of great guys. And some of the best, are arrogant bastard-great-guys. My friend Huston is one of these. He worked at the flyshop I frequented, and he always had good advise. He is a cocky SOB. We would go fishing and he would give me shit about my casting or presentation, but I always learned something when I fished with him. He was always sharing his insights, and local knowledge. One time on a drift he got shit faced and I thought he would be better at the ores then chucking streamers over my head.. I was wrong, some how he found that one rock in the middle of a fast run... We were both thrown, we recovered the boat at the bottom of the run, and amazingly we didn't loose any gear. Thankfully the dunk sobered him up a bit, and we went on to fish an epic Sulpher hatch. Huston has become more then just a fishing buddy, hes a great friend.
Last edited by aReelFlyGuy on Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:20 am

aReelFlyGuy wrote:It strikes me...
this was as far as I read.
I love a happy beginning.

cool story, bro.
mate, it's ryan says... and ryan didn't say.
you're out.

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:26 am

austrotard wrote:that was good. real good.

my mate dave's a pain in the ass.

cons:

sometimes he baits up... sometimes he won't even bring a fly rod.
catches waaay more fish than I do.
never has any wonga.
constantly fucking owes me wonga.
always gives me the small 'half'.
if there's two beers left in his fridge they're both his.
talks incessantly about his late teens and early 20s. fuck me... I think I know what happened to him every fucking day for eight years.
his missus just had a stoopid baby interrupting our faithful humpday celebratories... prolly six years running.

pro:

he will drop everything to be by your side when things get proper fucked up.

dave is gay.
we fished a still water yesterday arvo.
I took him a choice of a 4 or 5wt graphite and a 5wt boo... he fished his spin rod.
he caught some 7" reddies. I caught fuck all.
he fed them (whole) to benson.
I worried all night that the little bastard was gonna puke up in the ute or later, on the carpet.
therefore benson had no tea.

dave fucks everything up for every cunt.

benson is fine. and strangely enough, bleck.
you're out.

Lando

Post by Lando » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:33 am

I was in MT this past weekend and I called Bill for some info. It turned out that we got to fish together....he even rowed my ass all day to pay me back for all those times I rowed his ass. It was a grand day....I even got this photo of him checking out the young lass's ass...

That's my boy, Bill.
If my tombstone reads, "He never ate sushi." it won't be a lie, and I'll be OK with that.

~Average Joe

Bigguy

Post by Bigguy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:18 pm

Bill's obviously a connisuer.

aReelFlyGuy

Post by aReelFlyGuy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:32 pm

Bigguy wrote:Bill's obviously a connisuer.
Nothing like some good wader ass.

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:36 pm

aReelFlyGuy wrote:It strikes me that in an "sport" where there are a lot of arrogant bastards, there are still plenty of great guys. And some of the best, are arrogant bastard-great-guys. My friend Huston is one of these. He worked at the flyshop I frequented, and he always had good advise. He is a cocky SOB. We would go fishing and he would give me shit about my casting or presentation, but I always learned something when I fished with him. He was always sharing his insights, and local knowledge. One time on a drift he got shit faced and I thought he would be better at the ores then chucking streamers over my head.. I was wrong, some how he found that one rock in the middle of a fast run... We were both thrown, we recovered the boat at the bottom of the run, and amazingly we didn't loose any gear. Thankfully the dunk sobered him up a bit, and we went on to fish an epic Sulpher hatch. Hudson has become more then just a fishing buddy, hes a great friend.

When you make up a story about having a friend at least try to stick to just one name...
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

stillsteamin

Post by stillsteamin » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:50 pm

superbad.gif
superbad.gif (516.16 KiB) Viewed 777 times
"There's nothing more overrated than a piece of ass and there's nothing more underrated than a good shit." -Glen Blackwood

aReelFlyGuy

Post by aReelFlyGuy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:15 pm

yard4sale wrote:
aReelFlyGuy wrote:It strikes me that in an "sport" where there are a lot of arrogant bastards, there are still plenty of great guys. And some of the best, are arrogant bastard-great-guys. My friend Huston is one of these. He worked at the flyshop I frequented, and he always had good advise. He is a cocky SOB. We would go fishing and he would give me shit about my casting or presentation, but I always learned something when I fished with him. He was always sharing his insights, and local knowledge. One time on a drift he got shit faced and I thought he would be better at the ores then chucking streamers over my head.. I was wrong, some how he found that one rock in the middle of a fast run... We were both thrown, we recovered the boat at the bottom of the run, and amazingly we didn't loose any gear. Thankfully the dunk sobered him up a bit, and we went on to fish an epic Sulpher hatch. Hudson has become more then just a fishing buddy, hes a great friend.

When you make up a story about having a friend at least try to stick to just one name...

The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

-G-

Post by -G- » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:30 pm

Fuckin Dave. Fuckin Bill. :cool

I got out with Nolan on sunday for the first time in a while too. I put him in charge of beer knowing good and well what he'd show up with.

Maybe we haven't drank enough Busch- Nolan

-G-

Post by -G- » Sun May 28, 2017 10:05 am

Jason

I met J swinging a run on a very cold single digit February morning back in 2013. The type of morning were everyone else was inside keeping their tootsies warm, so it was a bit of a surprise to see someone else out there- especially with a spey rod. Long story short, we got to talking and really hit it off. We exchanged info right there and after a few outings I realized how damn unique and rare guys like Jason are in the world we live in today; he didn't have a TV in his home, absolutely adores his wife, and takes his little girls fishing on the regular all while co-owning a small business.

Not only life, but Jason is unique in the fishing world as well. Everything is a science to him. Even when casting, he'd focus more intently than anyone I had ever seen and threw well calculated freaking lazers I had never seen in person before. He will never give you the "yeah.. been there done that" type of responses. Even though hes ultra fishy; he'll still talk technique, tendencies, conditions, weather etc with the type of enthusiasm as someone who's just beginning. On streamer fishing days with high sun and low water he'll have as much optimism after 7 hours of not moving a fish as someone would the first hour of prime conditions. That optimism has helped seal the deal on multiple occasions were most guys would have just called it quits.

J will also shimmy up any tree he casts his fly in like a squirrel

A lot of people might lump J in the category of highly religious, conservative minded trump voters after a quick discussion about political views---------This past fall I had floated by a foreign bait fisherman with about 2 front teeth on two different occasions. Every time I floated by him he said nothing. He would greet me with no more than a blank stare, maybe even a little grimace. The next time I floated by him a few weeks later I was floating with Jason. The guy absolutely freaked out when he saw Jason.

"HEY MAN HOW YOU DOING MAN, GOD BLESS YOU MAN. HOPE YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ARE WELL MAN. GOD BLESS YOU MAN"

"What was that all about?" I asked J

J laughed and said "Oh I just helped him out a few years ago"

"Oh, ok"

A few bends later I asked again "So what the hell did you help him out with? That guy loved you."

J laughed again and said he saw him down by the river having some truck issues. Said the guy was in a rough time in his life so J took him to the shop and payed for the guy to get a brand new radiator and some other fix-em-ups on his truck.

"That was the first time you met him?" I asked

"Yeah" Jason replied

Jason knew his entire life story in fact and told me all about this guy who moved here from south America, and used to be a professional boxer. Since coming to America he was diagnosed with renal disease and requires weekly dialysis, and has been in a tough spot since.

I thought to myself how not many people these days would pay out of their pocket to get a foreign strangers truck fixed they had never previously met. But that's Jason for you.

Next time you find yourself bitching about 'people these days' or politics think about Jason and try and live with the kindness towards others Jason does. You might find yourself a happier person... Or better yet, someone other than yourself might find themselves a happier person.

Maybe we haven't drank enough Busch- Nolan

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Sun May 28, 2017 7:32 pm

he sounds dreamy.
ask him if he likes me and then get his phone number.

all my mates are dickheads.
you're out.