Advice needed: cure for the Crabs....Joe has the crabs too...pg2

Got something to sell? Need a job? Post your for sale ads and resumes here. IMPORTANT: this forum for non-professional posts. If you are a professional organization and would like to post your ad here, please contact us at info@drakemag.com.
cornholio

Advice needed: cure for the Crabs....Joe has the crabs too...pg2

Post by cornholio » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:58 pm

[report]I bought 5 sets of crab traps in October after my long time fishing buddy told me about a nearby Dungeness crab fishery. I told my wife that I plan on getting some crabs as part of the Thanksgiving dinner to justify the considerable $$ spent on the damn traps.
Thanksgiving came and went and the traps and associated accessories remained in the shipping boxes in the garage. No motivation, no knowledge, scared of the ocean, etc….and the list of excuses goes on. Then a couple of weeks ago my buddy calls me up
“dude, you need to get your shit out here. Crabbing is off the hooks!”
“Uh, damn, I really want to go man, but I don’t know what I’m doing…”
“Fine, I’ll send you a map with waypoints. And I’m just a phone call away if you have any other questions. And grow some balls and just launch your shit already. The ocean ain’t that scary.”
Fuck it. I got no more excuses. Just do it to it:

Got three trips under my belt so far: first trip with my bud, second one with the kid as a deckhand and last one with my brother. It went something like this:

We got our feast on:

And pluck the meat out of whatever is left, which is plenty:

Put some in the freezer for future consumption.
Like a crab omelet for breakfast:
And the wife says we’re running low on crab meat so I guess I’ll have to go out and get some more.
Such is life.[/report]
Last edited by cornholio on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Redchaser

Re: Advice needed: cure for the Crabs

Post by Redchaser » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:51 pm

Awesome dude. Down here we have blue crab, and you can run traps for them but that requires spending money on traps, getting a gear license etc. Fortunately blue crabs instinct to feed is stronger than their flight instinct so we can just tie a chicken neck on the end of a string, throw it out and wait for it to pull tight. When it goes tight you slowly pull it in and use a dipnet to scoop the crab that will be holding onto the chicken neck.... unless it's an alligator because sometimes they will grab your chicken neck too.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:59 pm

Great job stepping out of your comfort zone. Looks like you were well rewarded.
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

When your choices are between a pedophile religious zealot or a dem suddenly the pedophile religious zealot doesn't sound too bad. - PLOW

pbrstreetgang

Post by pbrstreetgang » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:17 pm

what kind of flies go in the traps?
veins full of disappearing ink

fatman

Post by fatman » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:36 pm

fuk yeah :smile

for the record, MtGrayling bakes a mean crab pizza
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

FormerlyChaseChrome

Post by FormerlyChaseChrome » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:51 pm

Damn righteous brother Corn...
:bow

421sd

Post by 421sd » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:09 am

Solid stuff Cornholio!
Redchaser wrote:Awesome dude. Down here we have blue crab, and you can run traps for them but that requires spending money on traps, getting a gear license etc. Fortunately blue crabs instinct to feed is stronger than their flight instinct so we can just tie a chicken neck on the end of a string, throw it out and wait for it to pull tight. When it goes tight you slowly pull it in and use a dipnet to scoop the crab that will be holding onto the chicken neck.... unless it's an alligator because sometimes they will grab your chicken neck too.
We did this on our Family Vaca at Gulf Shores this year. What we caught was barely legal buy mighty tasty!
Cleaned.jpg
Cleaned.jpg (198.8 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
Seefood.jpg
Seefood.jpg (860.2 KiB) Viewed 2743 times

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:32 am

Damn that looks like a fun time.

I watched a young couple throwing a pot off a dock a couple hundred miles north of you. Abut very 10 minutes they'd pull it up and pluck half a dozen crabs, about 1/2 legal. They had a good start on a cooler full. Told me they came down once a month and had all they could eat.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

Kfoxwyo

Post by Kfoxwyo » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:31 am

Good lord that all looks delicious. Way to step up- And good on ya for teaching the kid a skill!

Red, growing up in Md. we did the same thing as a kid, I remember some odd "red tide" off shore and it pushed all the shell fish and fish to the causeway, we literally scooped the blue crab up by the net full. Summer season sweet corn and blue crab...I really respect my family making making time and finding the $$ to do so-

I just need to figure out how to get ms. Connie to boil up a pot next nov.!
Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need-a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing.
-Jerome K. Jerome, 1889

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:05 am

only a mexican would have crab attached to fried chicken.
fingie lickin.jpg
fingie lickin.jpg (163.46 KiB) Viewed 2730 times

and I'd bet your brother can pronounce balvenie.

:cool

topical: the cure for crabs is caster sugar.
I can freely burn a bible in the street but watch what happens with this koran...

now someone fucking explain that to me.

Lando

Post by Lando » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:10 am

Just don't show photos of the manscaping.
If my tombstone reads, "He never ate sushi." it won't be a lie, and I'll be OK with that.

~Average Joe

Willi

Post by Willi » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:14 am

Redchaser wrote:Awesome dude. Down here we have blue crab, and you can run traps for them but that requires spending money on traps, getting a gear license etc. Fortunately blue crabs instinct to feed is stronger than their flight instinct so we can just tie a chicken neck on the end of a string, throw it out and wait for it to pull tight. When it goes tight you slowly pull it in and use a dipnet to scoop the crab that will be holding onto the chicken neck.... unless it's an alligator because sometimes they will grab your chicken neck too.
I agree with the work involved with tending traps. But the chicken necks on a line sounds fun. Similar to how we used to catch crawdads as a kid. We usually used a hunk of bacon.

Willi