WTB- a new boat...

Got something to sell? Need a job? Post your for sale ads and resumes here. IMPORTANT: this forum for non-professional posts. If you are a professional organization and would like to post your ad here, please contact us at info@drakemag.com.
Idahoan

Re: WTB- a new boat...

Post by Idahoan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:20 am

The clacka eddies are nice. So are the hydes. Have to disagree with Palometa on which one pops or planes sooner. In my experience the hydes get up quicker when making an upstream oar stroke but it depends on the model. The 14'6" Hyde lopro sucks with three people on board. The xl lopro is far better under most conditions. The clacka eddy makes lateral moves easy due to more rounded chines but feels a little sluggish compared to other boats. My current ride is a Hyde Montana skiff, which rows awesome but has little useful storage compared to the eddy with boxes or Hyde xl lopro. Depends on how you row. A lot of folks think that rowing down the river only requires that the boat be a reasonable distance from the bank but do little to slow the boat up to increase fishing opportunities.

fishpimp

Post by fishpimp » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:56 pm

I'm done with stealthcraft...don't like the words heavy and clunky used with driftboat. I'm only 2 hours south of Hyde and clacka, have rowed both, and am looking at the eddy 360. If you fished the Beaverhead 90 % of the time, maybe the Bighole and the Mo' the rest of the time what should I get...also thought about a skiff but want the storage.
"You look like the type'a guy that gets outta' the shower to take a piss"- Diceman

Honyuk96

Post by Honyuk96 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:35 pm

I like Clackas, they are anwell thought out quality boat. I personally own a 14-6'hyde low pro. walking around inside it is tough and my old boat (94) i believe works v
Just fine. Rows effortlessly and is pretty tough. I do have a couple chine diggers but most boats that actually fish do. But since Kofflers been brought up, i'd take a kofflermover all the rest. They row amazing, are bulletproof and if you line your floors w rubber mat they become much more quiet . I like right near Stealthcraft. They dipo make nice boats, heavy and WAY overingeneered IMO, Kofflers are tough to find but they are amazing boats. Surprised no one mentioned boulder boat works. Similar to stealthcraft in several ways. Way overbuilt and THE most heavy Clunky thing i've ever rowed. They do look pretty though, kinda. Good luck

Lando

Post by Lando » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:48 am

A skiff has just as much storage as a driftboat and I have no idea what your are saying when you typed BB are heavy....they are quite a bit lighter than a Hyde.

For the rivers you mentioned, a skiff is perfect.
If my tombstone reads, "He never ate sushi." it won't be a lie, and I'll be OK with that.

~Average Joe

Idahoan

Post by Idahoan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:03 pm

Some skiffs have ample storage, mine currently lacks for longer trips. I augment it with boat bags as everyone brings one and it's good. However, if you want to systematically stow gear for overnighters you can get a hell of a lot more storage out of the larger more traditional boats - Eddy and XL Low Profile.

For the rivers you list, a skiff is perfect. Mine is for sale, of course.

Honyuk96

Post by Honyuk96 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:27 pm

Lando wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:48 am
A skiff has just as much storage as a driftboat and I have no idea what your are saying when you typed BB are heavy....they are quite a bit lighter than a Hyde.

For the rivers you mentioned, a skiff is perfect.
Perhaps i should have been more clear w my reply. I don't know the actual weights of a Hyde vs a BB. I can confidently say this, the BB is the worst drift boat i've ever rowed, hands down. Of course this is all just one guys opinion, i'm sure the Colorado guys may think differently.

Lando

Post by Lando » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:48 am

How many boats have you rowed? BBW are made out of plastic, not fiberglass, so they are half as light as other boats. Maybe that is why you don't like rowing them...........
If my tombstone reads, "He never ate sushi." it won't be a lie, and I'll be OK with that.

~Average Joe

RaZ

Post by RaZ » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:53 am

D-nymph wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:32 am

Probably I should move & get a bigger boat. :cheer
you can park one in my back yard...
"Then let us know how that goes, you smug motherfucker"

Spicytuna

Post by Spicytuna » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:07 pm

Lando wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:48 am
How many boats have you rowed? BBW are made out of plastic, not fiberglass, so they are half as light as other boats. Maybe that is why you don't like rowing them...........

Hahahahahahahaha

You said BBW
"In truth you can throw dries and swing flies and still be a loser. That would be an elite loser though.
Rare breed." - MTgrayling

"You guys know the Magic Hour???? Yeah it just happened I was there!!!" DK

Honyuk96

Post by Honyuk96 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:11 am

Lando wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:48 am
Lando, i've rowed about 8 differen't drift boats that i can remember. I'm fully aware of the BBW being made of plastic. If i recall that plastic on the sides of the boat seemed to be about 3/8" thick. When i first saw their ( thermowelding ? Not sure if thats the right name for their process ) and all that plastic, i thought gee that suckers gotta be heavy. The groovy looking wood knee brace was cool though. Anyhow, i rowed one other dude around on one trip and to this day i haven't rowed another drift boat that i thoght was worse. I haven't rowed a Stealthcraft yet but from what i've seen and been told they are clunky as well. If i had the money, i'd get a Clacka any day over all the others and in saying that i like my Hyde just fine. I get it i'm new here and maybe you're just taking a shot at a noob, i dunno. Was just throwing my .02 out there.

Lando

Post by Lando » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:44 am

I will wait for KP and Bob White to chime in, but it doesn't matter if you are a noob or vet, I still think you're smoking crack.

~Average Joe

ironman

Post by ironman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:58 am

Lando wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:44 am
I will wait for KP and Bob White to chime in, but it doesn't matter if you are a noob or vet, I still think you're smoking crack.
I'm partial to those inflatable driftboat jobbies. Honestly one of the most comfortable boats ever.

One thing about SC, is that they stink. Like chemicals - plastic - plastic glue or whatever they use to bond the plascore. When new at least, it might wear off over time. The navigation lights on the non-motorized are uber-ghey. If you need lights on your drifter to navigate at night, you shouldn't be on the river. And the "art" wraps are so brah. Camo, at least, has some function if its a dual purpose vessel. $0.02
"if you don't understand the perfect logic of this, then you may as well fuck right off Teh Suk" - Fatman

"I took a Japanese whaling approach to panfishing as a kid." - Boomin