The Chronicles of the Wooden Shoe- year one pg16

Got something to sell? Need a job? Post your for sale ads and resumes here. IMPORTANT: this forum for non-professional posts. If you are a professional organization and would like to post your ad here, please contact us at info@drakemag.com.
Honyuk96

Re: WTB (skiff build): Maiden voyage- pg 7

Post by Honyuk96 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:13 pm

Nice job G, cool bote

D-nymph

Post by D-nymph » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:42 pm

Yes, G! Excellent!
"The devil's pourin drinks and his daughter needs a ride" - III

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:59 pm

so do you hafta register this thing or can you seppos just do whatever the fuck youse want with watercraft?
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

stillsteamin

Post by stillsteamin » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:59 pm

austrotard wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:59 pm
so do you hafta register this thing or can you seppos just do whatever the fuck youse want with watercraft?
In michigan you aint gotta get the gubmint involved unless you want to put a motor on it. I guess they figure they don't want to have to deal with every lemonhead that can strap a couple boards together.
They all wanna be Hank Williams
They don't wanna have to die

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:07 am

that's crazy. I wonder how many blow apart on the motorway?
but I do like the fact that, even though inadvertently, it kills seppos.

'this bote kills seppos.'

someone should make a stickie and then send me one.
I'll put it on my brolly.

-mtice

LA Fly Guy

Post by LA Fly Guy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:28 am

austrotard wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:07 am
that's crazy. I wonder how many blow apart on the motorway?
Must not be that many. We have more problems with motorists running into the back of the boats on the trailer and random crap flying out of utility trailers than boats falling apart on the highway.

We're not Vikings or anything, but apparently the seppo craftsmen are better at building boats than Austrian ones.
... there are two kind of anglers, sight fishermen and the rest of you. If you don't see it first, it doesn't count. - Long Haired Dave

Bait fishermen and flatlanders that can't catch redfish spend more time fishing for specks - Redchaser

stillsteamin

Post by stillsteamin » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:57 am

LA Fly Guy wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:28 am
We're not Vikings or anything, but apparently the seppo craftsmen are better at building boats than Austrian ones.
Well they stuck em on an island a couple hundred years ago and they're all still there so... they are not shipbuilders.
They all wanna be Hank Williams
They don't wanna have to die

Nevs

Post by Nevs » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:54 pm

So what's the bottom coating of that? Supposed to hold up to gravel? I'd love to build but the ozark streams she would see see WAY to much low water dragging to be worried about the bottom.

There is a 0% chance my wife would let me start a drift boat build while I still haven't finished the gel coat, seats, and carpet on the glitter boat.
I'm also not allowed to bring the boat home and work on it in the garage until I clean and organize said garage.

Moral of the story? I'll never be fixing, or building boats in my garage.

-G-

Post by -G- » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:30 pm

Nevs wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:54 pm
So what's the bottom coating of that? Supposed to hold up to gravel? I'd love to build but the ozark streams she would see see WAY to much low water dragging to be worried about the bottom.

There is a 0% chance my wife would let me start a drift boat build while I still haven't finished the gel coat, seats, and carpet on the glitter boat.
I'm also not allowed to bring the boat home and work on it in the garage until I clean and organize said garage.

Moral of the story? I'll never be fixing, or building boats in my garage.
So many good questions that I have answers to.

1.) The bottom is 3 layers of 7oz fiberglass sheets with epoxy. That alone makes it essentially bombproof, but it also has 2 additional layers of graphite filled epoxy for extra slickness. Some guys out west that have to deal with more can openers and less sand/gravel go to the linex store and get a coat of that which is equivalent to Hyde’s G3 bottoms but even though it’s still plenty slick, the graphite filled epoxy is better for not sticking on logs, etc.

2.) you should do what I did and just start working on one. The wife will complain the entire time- including but certainly not limited to the garage being covered in sawdust, her not having covered parking when it’s -10 out, and you drinking with your friends too much in there. BUT, when it’s fimished she’ll say “you know, it is pretty cool you built that”. Steamin’ knows what goes on and can attest to my wife’s sharp tongue but I can assure you having a wooden bote you built is worth it.

3.) edit- and I’m not sure why this wasn’t blatantly obvious before... I think the biggest problem here is owning a glitter boat in the first place.
Last edited by -G- on Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe we haven't drank enough Busch- Nolan

-G-

Post by -G- » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:33 pm

stillsteamin wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:57 am
LA Fly Guy wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:28 am
Well they stuck em on an island a couple hundred years ago and they're all still there so... they are not shipbuilders.
Not sure if it’s ever been stated more clearly why Austrians make shitty botes. Maybe they carve too many trouts in the side walls..
Maybe we haven't drank enough Busch- Nolan

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:39 pm

it's the boomerang effect, dumbasses.

everything we make comes back.
everything 'cept jim jefferies. and maybe a couple airplanes that flew over russia.

one should arrive here. it is most splendid.
...very little bote shit all over the motorway as well.

(last bit's a bold face lie if you go north of gero, mate.)

-mtice

Ruddy Duck

Post by Ruddy Duck » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:19 pm

Here, the DMV flunkies harass the fuck out of you over your trailer paperwork, then the Dept of Revenue harasses the fuck out of you over the sales tax forms, and finally the Wildlife dept harasses the fuck out of you over the boat and motor titles. And you write a few checks to various government agencies. And then you get a little sticker to put on your boat.

And the world is a safer place.

Unless you don't have a motor. Then you do whatever.