For Sale: 3 man tent

Got something to sell? Need a job? Post your for sale ads and resumes here. IMPORTANT: this forum for non-professional posts. If you are a professional organization and would like to post your ad here, please contact us at info@drakemag.com.
LA Fly Guy

For Sale: 3 man tent

Post by LA Fly Guy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:59 pm

For me this journey started about a year ago after a TR that mrl0004 (Matt Lewis) posted up with some Redeye Bass. My local spotted bass had been giving me the finger, so I looked to Matt for insight on a special fish that lives in some pretty cool places – the redeye bass. In our first discussion, Matt informed me that he was in the process of writing a book about these cool little fish. I pretty much abandoned fishing my local spotted bass and switched over to trying to chase the redeye bass of Alabama.

I purchased the book and poured through it right away. Early this spring, I started tying poppers and a few other flies and started dreaming of getting on some rocky streams to chase something in an environment much different from my local creeks. As summer neared, I began focusing more on understanding the redeye bass and their habitat. These fish live mostly in small tributary creeks from the main rivers and to be honest I didn’t know where to start focusing on where exactly to fish. As I subdivided the four species in the Mobile Basin, and then looking at specific rivers, I then began picking out likely areas to start.

I had done some research, but was still far from ready to actually hit the road to target each species of the redeye bass. Luckily for me, a mutual friend of Matt and I made a four day trip to from Louisiana to Alabama to complete the Mobile Basin “slam” of each of the four redeye species in Alabama. With some local intel of his own, he was able to (with a friend) catch all four species on his trip. I also picked his brain about hammock camping as that was something I had never done. I was trying to stay as simple and as cheap as possible so I was definitely looking to camp in National Forests and/or state parks as opposed to staying the night in some fancy place. He sold me on the idea of camping in a hammock and so I purchased one and started packing for my upcoming trip. As I was packing, something told me to include my 3 man tent just in case, but I decided that I was being paranoid and as I typically am over prepared for every situation. More on that later….

A local guide started an event last year to fish one of the local rivers to benefit the Atlanta chapter of Project Healing Waters and grow the awareness of the redeye bass so I decided that was the perfect opportunity to get me to start fishing for the redeye bass.

A couple of weeks before the event Ruddy Duck paddled a local bayou with his son and caught some nice fish. The next weekend he invited me to tag along with him and his son to see if we could repeat the trip. I felt like it would be a great opportunity to get back to casting my 4wt and casting and mending with the slight current in the creek.

We had a good day and I caught a mix of longear, bluegill, and redbreast sunfish as well as a small bass.

It felt good to get my toes wet in a small cool body of water and it had me even more excited about my upcoming trip to chase the redeyes.

The day before the event, I left my office at 12:00 to leave me just enough time to fish a little before heading the state park that I would stay the next two nights. I pulled into a little parking area next to the bridge at the access point, strung up my rod and started fishing. I am used to sight fishing in the marsh and I have pretty much no experience fishing streams on my own other than my local sandy creeks with nothing more than sandbars and blowdowns. This first area I fished is quite wide and I had trouble wrapping my mind of exactly where I should fish.

Despite my lack of skill of reading current, I was able to catch a small bluegill and my first Redeye bass.

After it started getting dark, I waded back to my truck filled with confidence for the next day for the event.
A week before my trip I called the park to see if there were any primitive camping spots available or if I needed to reserve a spot and to make sure the general camping area had enough trees to hang my hammock. The nice lady on the phone said that there would be plenty of spots available for walk ups and if I didn’t like the site assigned to me at check in, there would be no problem with switching out to more desirable site.

Well when I checked in, the goofy guy that checked me in informed me that camping in hammocks was not allowed. This state park isn’t exactly next to a metropolis city and I didn’t see any sporting goods stores anywhere close driving in, and as it was getting too late to make a long drive, I asked the park ranger what my options were. This state park has a “general store” with overpriced items for goofballs who aren’t prepared and bring the necessary supplies. After working half the day, driving 5 hours and fishing a little bit, I was not going to argue so I bought the damn overpriced tent.

Anyway, I lit some charcoal and got started setting up the tent. Tonight’s menu was chicken tacos with grilled poblano pepper, bell pepper, and onions.

I woke up the next morning and hit the same spot where I had previously fished the evening before. Another guy fishing the event came behind me fishing several hundred yards away. After not getting a single bite my mind started wandering and I debated on what to do next. The guy started walking toward me and I realized he was coming to talk. He hadn’t had any luck either and he let me know he was about to try another spot. I agreed and fished one more little run after he left and then I headed back to my truck to figure my next move.

My friend from Louisiana that previously fished here mentioned a spot that looked fishy from the satellite view but he didn’t have a chance to fish it. I decided to fish that spot, if nothing else to scout it out to give him some feedback and hit a couple other spots that I had picked out on my way to the closing event which started at 5:00. As I got further and further from civilization, the roads became worse and worse and the rain from the previous days didn’t help. Finally I got to the bridge crossing on the county road and saw this.

Yes, this could work. This creek should hold a few redeye bass I thought. It started to lightly rain as I got out of my truck, grabbed my sling pack, and strung up my rod. It rained much harder where I had just left so I guess I got lucky. This creek seemed like a perfect little stream to me and my confidence built as I entered the creek and started fishing.

After about the third pool upstream from where I started fishing, a redeye rose up and swallowed my hopper. It was amazing how this little fish and this creek changed my whole outlook for the day.

I finished fishing the pool and went downstream of my access point to fish that area before leaving to give me time to hit a couple of possible creeks.

I tried a couple of more spots that didn’t really do well and eventually headed to meet Matt and the other participants. It was a good time putting faces with names and internet personas and swapping stories of the day. I spoke with the locals about my plans for the next day’s fishing to search for the Black Warrior Redeye bass. I was given two options, but with the previous days’ rain, the creeks’ conditions were uncertain.

The next morning I packed up and headed northwest to my first spot. This creek flows through a park and a lot of locals use it as a swimming hole so I knew I needed to beat them to it. I parked my truck, laced up my boots, and fished the first pool at the main falls and then hiked upstream hitting all the likely spots.

I fished for about an hour and a half without seeing or catching a fish and the second spot kept on tempting me even though it was about an hour in the wrong direction for me to head home. After I turned around and headed downstream, it became apparent how true the warnings were about getting to this creek early to beat the locals.

When I reached my final destination I made the short hike down the trail, but not before trying some of the local produce.

As I walked down to the creek I spooked about 30 grasshoppers off the trail so I kept my foam hopper rigged up until I got to the creek.

Hmmm. This creek didn’t have time to settle down and was still blown out. I drifted the hopper for a few casts and then I rigged up a black wooly bugger hoping the dark silhouette would entice a strike.

I figured I still had to try as I was here anyway. Although the creek was blown out, I could see the rocky structure and it certainly looked good to me. With a 6 hour drive back home, I didn’t get too adventurous trying to explore too far from where I initially stepped into the creek. I still felt it was worth the trip just to check it out.
I didn’t get a Black Warrior Redeye Bass, and I only caught two Tallapoosa Redeye Bass, but the trip was still a success to me as I had visited a new place with new to me fish and I met some new people and came back with more knowledge than I left home with. I’ll be back and chances are I’ll be dragging another Louisianian with me on the next trip.

Oh yeah, here is picture of the overpriced tent if you’re still interested. I don't have any use for it anymore.

Ruddy Duck

Re: For Sale: 3 man tent

Post by Ruddy Duck » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:47 pm

Bout time Corey.

I hope to join you next time.

How much for just the tent poles?

fly-chucker

Post by fly-chucker » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:53 pm

fuk em hang your hammock where you will :gun

purty water there :cool
"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." -CC

"Get off the water you dumb asses…there is a shit storm coming." -Pancho Rancho

"Fucker compared my small stream trout weenie cast to an epileptic with Tourette’s Syndrome." -Carpe Tructa

chadroc

Post by chadroc » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:55 pm

really really cool.
holding it down on the other side of the border

enjoy your catch (it died)

stillsteamin

Post by stillsteamin » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:47 am

What the fuck kind of park doesnt allow hammocks?

Pretty water.
I still like to explore new water, but these holes and drifts and slots are like the books and records I have carried around for decades. They are not only places of affection - they are the fabric of my life. - Doug Rose

pbrstreetgang

Post by pbrstreetgang » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:56 pm

fuck yes
Everybody knows this is nowhere...

421sd

Post by 421sd » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:33 pm

Right on. :cool

I love fishing little water like that. Those are cool fish.

fatman

Post by fatman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:45 pm

fine lookin' water

strong work :smile
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

LA Fly Guy

Post by LA Fly Guy » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:52 am

Ruddy Duck wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:47 pm
Bout time Corey.

I hope to join you next time.

How much for just the tent poles?
You want just the two main poles, or the rain fly pole too?

Lemme know when you are ready. You already know I'm still pouring over maps and Google Earth. Either these creeks don't eat as many flies as our local ones or I'm getting better at casting and line management. Either way, I've got you covered on flies.
fly-chucker wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:53 pm
fuk em hang your hammock where you will :gun

purty water there :cool
Fly-chucker, believe me, as I was setting up the tent and I collected my thoughts, I realized that's what I should have done. But the damage was already done. :bomb

FredA

Post by FredA » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:42 am

Refreshing. Purty little creeks ya got there.

:cool

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:04 am

004 man gay.
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

Da Ax

Post by Da Ax » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:53 pm

Nicely done. Always wanted to do some feeshin in Greenbow, AL.
The difference between decency and indecency is opportunity...

One could search their entire lives for the perfect drift, and it would not be a wasted life.

"If I owned this place and Hell, I'd rent this place out and live in Hell." -Toombs