7D vs 5D?

Monthly photo contests will be the feature of this forum. Discussions of photographic techniques, gear, software, etc will (hopefully) discussed here.
NeedmoreDEET

7D vs 5D?

Post by NeedmoreDEET » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:19 pm

Anyone played with both? I've got a few L's so I'm not intersted in flipping over to Nikon. I need to upgrade before business goes back to shit.

and some classic photography for your time
MM.jpg
MM.jpg (59.94 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
I like that quote....now have someone hold your head under water until you post a proper intro....or until you stop struggling. - RFA

ditchdoc

Re: 7D vs 5D?

Post by ditchdoc » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:58 am

The 7D is on my list. Played with my brother in laws' 7D. That's what sold me. I think the difference in price between the 5 and 7 is a huge selling point. The difference in performance is minimal, unless you're some type of pro. If I can sell my old 10D I'm getting one.
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is forever.

Squiggly

Post by Squiggly » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:28 am

It really does just depend. I've played with both a good amount, and they are both very powerful. If I was going to buy a Canon right now, it would be the 7D purely due to weight concerns. If I could have two canons, I'd own both the 7D and the 5D. The 7D would see more use of the two. It's really just about weighing out the pro's & con's for your specific needs. If you haven't already, read up on both as much as you can, and definitely make sure the reading includes the review/overviews of them on dpreview.com.
~X~ "Don't just stand there, raise your gun and let the lead fly." wnm

http://www.millermoorephotography.com

locogringo

Post by locogringo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:15 pm

If I already owned L glass and had the money for a 5d, that is what I would get. I have the 7d, but I already owned cropped sensor glass when I bought it. It is a great camera, and I love it. The focal ranges on the L glass were made for full size sensor cameras. You have to apply a 1.6x conversion factor to the focal length of your L glass to determine what field of view you will have on the 7D. You may already know all of this.

vaku

Post by vaku » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:33 pm

ditch if the $100 bux you'll get for a 10d is the difference, then you aint getting a 7d :cool

There are a couple of main differences between the two. The sensor is the major one to me, and there are some video differences that unless your trying to do professional level video, won't mean anything to you.

I own a 5d and a couple of 5dMII's. I am toying with the idea of adding a 7d, purely for bts ( behind the scenes ) video shooting. It would otherwise get very little use other than as a back up to the back up.

Having said that, that is my POV as a professional ( and I really should have the bigger camera up from the 5dMII ). The 7d is just not professional and the crop sensor makes it a major no go for me. When I got my first 5d and started to shoot full frame again, I felt like my vision had returned. Shooting on a crop frame sensor had dulled my pov and it never seemed 'quite' right. not saying i didn't take some great photos with the 10 and 20 d's but they felt off all the time. full frame is all I will ever shoot again, unless i need the back up.

so, my take on this is, if you have the scratch, get the 5dMII. your 'L' glass will thank you.

pt
"It is only the inexperienced and thoughtless who find pleasure in killing fish for the mere sake of killing them. No sportsman does this." - W.C. Prime, 1888

"if it floats, flys, or fucks, it's bound to be a pain in the ass..." - BigTimber

NeedmoreDEET

Post by NeedmoreDEET » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:15 pm

Thanks for the responses. I'm like Ditch, I've been lugging around an old 10D for years. It takes decent shots, but it is starting to show its limitations. I grew up shooting an old Canonflex SLR from my early teens. I could get razor sharp pictures even at slow shutter speeds. Lately, I'm getting irritated by the autofocus - I can't seem to get a sharp shot to save my life in anything other than bright sunny conditions.

I'll probably hop on the 5DII. :cool
I like that quote....now have someone hold your head under water until you post a proper intro....or until you stop struggling. - RFA

NeedmoreDEET

Post by NeedmoreDEET » Fri May 27, 2011 1:28 am

So the wife bought me 5D Mark II, but haven't had too much time to play with it. The thing that jumps out is the high ISO performance - crazy when compared to my 10D.

Yeah...and a SPAM bump