Monthly photo contests will be the feature of this forum. Discussions of photographic techniques, gear, software, etc will (hopefully) discussed here.
By flyfisheraa573
Thinking of investing in a Photoshop application...just an amateur photographer wanting to screw around with some pictures. With a 6 month old, and two preteens, and fishing, I've been taking a lot of pictures, and wanted to start screwing with some of them.

Looking to sharpen, brighten, filter (ex. tobacco, vignette, etc), and whatever that mode is where you b&w everything except specific things on the pictures, like a flower, fish, etc. (told you I was an amateur).

Can I get by with the elements package to do these things, or do I have to go with the full blown photoshop?

Thanks ahead for all valuable info.
By locogringo
flyfisheraa573 wrote:Thinking of investing in a Photoshop application...just an amateur photographer wanting to screw around with some pictures. With a 6 month old, and two preteens, and fishing, I've been taking a lot of pictures, and wanted to start screwing with some of them.

Looking to sharpen, brighten, filter (ex. tobacco, vignette, etc), and whatever that mode is where you b&w everything except specific things on the pictures, like a flower, fish, etc. (told you I was an amateur).

Can I get by with the elements package to do these things, or do I have to go with the full blown photoshop?

Thanks ahead for all valuable info.
Check out Lightroom 3. You can download a 30 day trial from the Adobe site. I do 90% of my stuff in LR. I do a few things in PS that you can't do in LR.

I have never used PS Elements, so I can't speak to that.
By Mattb
locogringo wrote: Check out Lightroom 3. You can download a 30 day trial from the Adobe site. I do 90% of my stuff in LR. I do a few things in PS that you can't do in LR.
This.

I have Photoshop (CS4, but still) and very, very rarely use it now that I have Lightroom. I take a lot of pictures, and if I open Photoshop once a month these days, I'd be surprised.

The catalog system takes a little getting used to at first, but once you get comfortable with it, it's a great program.
By vaku
I've been using photoshop since PS1. really. I also use lightroom, but still open and go thru all my images in PS. It is something that I will get weaned of, as I did just do my first all lightroom edit. PS is just too ingrained in my workflow and physche.

Lighroom can handle almost anything you'll want to do. PS will handle anything you want to do. Elements will do some things, but like a prom date, it will leave you wanting more ( or puking in your lap, but that's another story......)

you can get 30 day trials of each one.

Aperture might work also, but I am not familiar with it other than to know it exists.

pt
By Randall Dee
I just picked up PS Lightroom last week. Before that I had been doing all of my tweaking in the free version of Picasa which I think works pretty well for light tweaking. It can do all those things you mentioned and as I said it's free. Since my daughter is in school, I was able to buy the Lightroom software through her for $89 on the student/teacher deal. Like it so far.
By Squiggly
I have Lr and CS4. I use CS4 %90 of the time, however I've spent a lot of time tweaking out my layouts in Ps and Bridge to create a good workflow. I've never tried out Elements to be perfectly honest, but I've not heard the best of comments floating around it.

The learning curve for Ps is certainly a bit stiff, and I'd recommend staying away for the time being unless you plan to spend a good deal of time just becoming familiar with it. By the sounds of it, I'm willing to bet you don't have the time available to you to make it worth while....at least for another 17 1/2 years.

Personally, I think Loco's suggestion to give Lr a 30 day trial is the best route to take.
By NeedmoreDEET
I used Elements for a long time before going to the full Adobe Creative suite. It's not a bad platform to launch from. It will do a lot of basic photo tweaks and give you a decent background that is applicable to the full versions of PS. I've seen it on sale for $70 in the past. That said, if you have children in school you may be able top qualify for one of the "educational" pricing packages (usually >50% off) for the Adobe Creative Suite. If you plan on exploring digital manipulation the full package has lots going for it.

I haven't used Lightroom, but will propbably be looking into it soon.
By flyfisheraa573
i appreciate all of your advice...I think I will do the 30 day trial and decide from there. Again, thanks!
By woolly bugger
LR is the Tits for cataloging, processing/editing (non-destructive), and exporting your images...
I use it almost exclusively now and only use PS CS5 for creating complex images, you can do most of the adjustments in LR and then open the image from LR into PS to continue the creative.

The biggest advantage of LR over PS is that you can quickly process a large number of pictures with ease. All sort of free 'pre-sets' are available to 'enhance' your photos... b&w, old timey, high contrast, etc...

It also allow you to treat, jpg images, like raw files in trems of the adjustment interface as does PS5 throught the bridge interface..

He put the fucking my pillow guy up there to addre[…]

Be aware that Governor Bullock has directed travel[…]

https://youtu.be/OnII5AqDy2U https://youtu.be/pG1[…]

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Grunter (synth wing) https://live.staticflic[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine