Photshop PS5 vs Elements 9

Monthly photo contests will be the feature of this forum. Discussions of photographic techniques, gear, software, etc will (hopefully) discussed here.
flyfisheraa573

Photshop PS5 vs Elements 9

Post by flyfisheraa573 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:51 pm

Thinking of investing in a Photoshop application...just an amateur photographer wanting to screw around with some pictures. With a 6 month old, and two preteens, and fishing, I've been taking a lot of pictures, and wanted to start screwing with some of them.

Looking to sharpen, brighten, filter (ex. tobacco, vignette, etc), and whatever that mode is where you b&w everything except specific things on the pictures, like a flower, fish, etc. (told you I was an amateur).

Can I get by with the elements package to do these things, or do I have to go with the full blown photoshop?

Thanks ahead for all valuable info.
"Sweet Jesus. I'd rather be caught hammering my jojo in the confessional." - Ajax

locogringo

Re: Photshop PS5 vs Elements 9

Post by locogringo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:19 pm

flyfisheraa573 wrote:Thinking of investing in a Photoshop application...just an amateur photographer wanting to screw around with some pictures. With a 6 month old, and two preteens, and fishing, I've been taking a lot of pictures, and wanted to start screwing with some of them.

Looking to sharpen, brighten, filter (ex. tobacco, vignette, etc), and whatever that mode is where you b&w everything except specific things on the pictures, like a flower, fish, etc. (told you I was an amateur).

Can I get by with the elements package to do these things, or do I have to go with the full blown photoshop?

Thanks ahead for all valuable info.
Check out Lightroom 3. You can download a 30 day trial from the Adobe site. I do 90% of my stuff in LR. I do a few things in PS that you can't do in LR.

I have never used PS Elements, so I can't speak to that.

Mattb

Post by Mattb » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:21 pm

locogringo wrote: Check out Lightroom 3. You can download a 30 day trial from the Adobe site. I do 90% of my stuff in LR. I do a few things in PS that you can't do in LR.
This.

I have Photoshop (CS4, but still) and very, very rarely use it now that I have Lightroom. I take a lot of pictures, and if I open Photoshop once a month these days, I'd be surprised.

The catalog system takes a little getting used to at first, but once you get comfortable with it, it's a great program.
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.”
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

vaku

Post by vaku » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:26 pm

I've been using photoshop since PS1. really. I also use lightroom, but still open and go thru all my images in PS. It is something that I will get weaned of, as I did just do my first all lightroom edit. PS is just too ingrained in my workflow and physche.

Lighroom can handle almost anything you'll want to do. PS will handle anything you want to do. Elements will do some things, but like a prom date, it will leave you wanting more ( or puking in your lap, but that's another story......)

you can get 30 day trials of each one.

Aperture might work also, but I am not familiar with it other than to know it exists.

pt
"It is only the inexperienced and thoughtless who find pleasure in killing fish for the mere sake of killing them. No sportsman does this." - W.C. Prime, 1888

"if it floats, flys, or fucks, it's bound to be a pain in the ass..." - BigTimber

Randall Dee

Post by Randall Dee » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:28 pm

I just picked up PS Lightroom last week. Before that I had been doing all of my tweaking in the free version of Picasa which I think works pretty well for light tweaking. It can do all those things you mentioned and as I said it's free. Since my daughter is in school, I was able to buy the Lightroom software through her for $89 on the student/teacher deal. Like it so far.

Squiggly

Post by Squiggly » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:00 pm

I have Lr and CS4. I use CS4 %90 of the time, however I've spent a lot of time tweaking out my layouts in Ps and Bridge to create a good workflow. I've never tried out Elements to be perfectly honest, but I've not heard the best of comments floating around it.

The learning curve for Ps is certainly a bit stiff, and I'd recommend staying away for the time being unless you plan to spend a good deal of time just becoming familiar with it. By the sounds of it, I'm willing to bet you don't have the time available to you to make it worth while....at least for another 17 1/2 years.

Personally, I think Loco's suggestion to give Lr a 30 day trial is the best route to take.
~X~ "Don't just stand there, raise your gun and let the lead fly." wnm

http://www.millermoorephotography.com

NeedmoreDEET

Post by NeedmoreDEET » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:07 pm

I used Elements for a long time before going to the full Adobe Creative suite. It's not a bad platform to launch from. It will do a lot of basic photo tweaks and give you a decent background that is applicable to the full versions of PS. I've seen it on sale for $70 in the past. That said, if you have children in school you may be able top qualify for one of the "educational" pricing packages (usually >50% off) for the Adobe Creative Suite. If you plan on exploring digital manipulation the full package has lots going for it.

I haven't used Lightroom, but will propbably be looking into it soon.
I like that quote....now have someone hold your head under water until you post a proper intro....or until you stop struggling. - RFA

flyfisheraa573

Post by flyfisheraa573 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:02 pm

i appreciate all of your advice...I think I will do the 30 day trial and decide from there. Again, thanks!
"Sweet Jesus. I'd rather be caught hammering my jojo in the confessional." - Ajax

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:45 am

LR is the Tits for cataloging, processing/editing (non-destructive), and exporting your images...
I use it almost exclusively now and only use PS CS5 for creating complex images, you can do most of the adjustments in LR and then open the image from LR into PS to continue the creative.

The biggest advantage of LR over PS is that you can quickly process a large number of pictures with ease. All sort of free 'pre-sets' are available to 'enhance' your photos... b&w, old timey, high contrast, etc...

It also allow you to treat, jpg images, like raw files in trems of the adjustment interface as does PS5 throught the bridge interface..
Buy Mexico Returns

ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

locogringo

Post by locogringo » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:34 pm

fuck you spammer