Waterproof P&S cameras

Monthly photo contests will be the feature of this forum. Discussions of photographic techniques, gear, software, etc will (hopefully) discussed here.
Gremlin

Waterproof P&S cameras

Post by Gremlin » Mon May 02, 2011 6:25 pm

I'm looking for recommendations, pros', con's of water proof P & S cameras. Hopefully with a good macro, and an LCD screen.

the thread I saw here is mostly over 2 years old.

thanks
G
The Drake, at it's best, gets us away from this regurgitated ration of shit that is everywhere you look in Flyfishing. VTNZ

Junglecock
Location: Northern Southeast, Panhandle, Lost Coast, Crackatraz

Re: Waterproof P&S cameras

Post by Junglecock » Mon May 02, 2011 8:39 pm

I like the cannon D10. Pros: wide angle settings, custom timer options, and most importantly takes nice pic's. Cons: no burst or manual settings and despite the waterproof shockproof coldproof I killed one surfing. I've also seen nice pic's taken from a similar price range Pentax. I'd like to see a cannon, Pentax, or Nikon do a waterproof with a nice zoom and burst but haven't seen it.

I'll put in a plug for the Sony point and shoot waterproof housings. Pretty bomber without too much gain in weight and mass. Hard plastic makes it a bounce around in the bottom of the boat type of deal.

JC

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » Tue May 03, 2011 7:56 am

thanks JC,

do you have any pics of fish while the camera is not in the water? I just want the waterproof part so I don't ruin the camera while dropping it in the water,
which I know I will do from experience :bomb
The Drake, at it's best, gets us away from this regurgitated ration of shit that is everywhere you look in Flyfishing. VTNZ

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Tue May 03, 2011 8:24 am

Olympus SW 8010 http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_secti ... ted_st8010

[*] 14 Megapixel
[*] Shockproof 6.6ft!
[*] Now uses SD memory (Older models used xD)
[*] HD VIDEO 720P[*]5x zoom (28 – 140mm equivalent in 35mm photography)
[*] MSRP $379.00

Pentax WG1 http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-ca ... G-1_Black/
[*] 14 Megapixel
[*] Shockproof 5ft.
[*] SD memory
[*] HD VIDEO 720P
[*] 5x zoom (28 – 140mm equivalent in 35mm photography)
[*] MSRP $349.00

Canon D10 http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/ ... 0#Overview
[*] 12.1 Megapixel
[*] Shockproof 4ft.
[*] SD memory
[*] 4x zoom (35-105mm equivalent in 35mm photography)
[* ]MSRP $299.99

The pentax has a Microscope mode, it has 3 leds for close up illumination. There is also a GSP model to tag photos...
All three take great pictures, but I don't think the Canon has a vidoe mode...The Olympus is due to be out in Sept...
I have an older olympus SW 1030 and I like it.
Last edited by woolly bugger on Tue May 03, 2011 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buy Mexico Returns

ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

foureyedgeek

Post by foureyedgeek » Tue May 03, 2011 8:32 am

I have an older Olympus Stylus Tough 6000 that I absolutely love. Good pics despite my skills. You can find them fairly cheap online. New models are out there for less than $300.
some people like Rocky Mountain Oysters... the rest wonder why they are eating balls. - Woolybug

#SavetheDace20XX

Jerkbait

Post by Jerkbait » Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 pm

I have the Canon D10 and it has been great. I purchased it to stand up to abuse, withstand Alaska weather, and take good pictures, and after over a year of use and 300+ days on the water I still haven't had an issue. It takes ok macro pics, great landscape pictures, awesome fish pictures, and as long as I remember to put the camera on underwater mode, it takes good underwater shots. If I had one gripe, it would be the size of the camera, it's a bit bulky. Also, it does have a burst mode, and a video mode, but the video is not HD.

Here are a few shots, all from the D10:

VTNZ

Post by VTNZ » Tue May 03, 2011 4:22 pm

I got the Canon D10 a couple of years ago, and I love it. I did alot of research; http://www.kenrockwell.com is a pretty good source of pro insight. The concept behind the D10 that differs from the others is that its designed as a waterproof camera first; dry camera second. The other companies have essentially retrofit dry camera designs to "make" them waterproof. Result is the other brands shoot better dry pics (though I used mine in some of my NZ TR's and they looked pretty darn good); but the D10 does better underwater and from all the boring effing reviews, doesn't seem to lose the plot going in the salt as much as the others...

That said, I've seen plenty of great pics on those other brands. But for me atleast, I wanted a bombproof, water proof camera. I gots a D5000 for the dry stuff! :cool
People are assholes because half the people around are of below average intelligence - Shunned

I hope I didn't infer that I was antifingerbanging. Its an art I hold dear. - RT

Upsetter

Post by Upsetter » Tue May 03, 2011 8:38 pm

Youve seen my reports, so you know what pics ive taken. Mostly dry, very few wet, wet seem a pita and in the rivers i fish, muck is always an issue. That said, ive found the most important feature is a quick power up to photo ready. At the time I bought my last one, the difference btw pentax and oly (canon was much of a presence) was huge...like 3 or 4 seconds....that can make all the difference when you are futzing w/a 20+" wiggle worm. I vote pentax, unless that crucial feature has changed with the new models wooly bugger detailed.

Pancho Rancho

Post by Pancho Rancho » Tue May 03, 2011 9:05 pm

SOBF told me to buy a Canon D10 for under water and he should know cause he is a plumber and runs a picture taking school.
Fuck 'em and feed 'em fish

Oh, and nice fishes. Randall Dee

davesnothere

Post by davesnothere » Wed May 04, 2011 5:55 am

Second the Pentax. Quick start-up and sharp images without the need to mess with manual settings.
"And, finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many other concerns of men are equally unimportant -- and not nearly so much fun" - John D. Voelker, by courtesy of Ajax.

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Wed May 04, 2011 7:48 am

Upsetter wrote:Youve seen my reports, so you know what pics ive taken. Mostly dry, very few wet, wet seem a pita and in the rivers i fish, muck is always an issue. That said, ive found the most important feature is a quick power up to photo ready. At the time I bought my last one, the difference btw pentax and oly (canon was much of a presence) was huge...like 3 or 4 seconds....that can make all the difference when you are futzing w/a 20+" wiggle worm. I vote pentax, unless that crucial feature has changed with the new models wooly bugger detailed.

Yeah, the oly may take a little longer to 'start-up' 'cause it has a retractable lens cover, which I like, but it takes a second to 'open'. Pentax it ready to go. I've never been happy with the macro focus on the oly... I think that all three camreas a capable of taking good photos. I think that the oly is the toughest of the bunch imho.

here is a full res photo of mine taken with the Oly sw 1030

http://masters.galleries.dpreview.com.s ... IdB0uEk%3d
Buy Mexico Returns

ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

VTNZ

Post by VTNZ » Wed May 04, 2011 10:27 am

In a highly technical experiment with my Canon D10, I counted the time it took to turn on and be ready to take a pic....

It was "one-one thousand..." long! If it took too long to warm up, that would have annoyed the shit out of me and wouldn't have bought it. They've changed these types of cameras each year and they seem to be getting better. After reading the reponses, I think it'll really come down to the degree and reliability of the waterproof feature and quality of underwater pics; because all the brands do a decent job on dry land.... :cool
People are assholes because half the people around are of below average intelligence - Shunned

I hope I didn't infer that I was antifingerbanging. Its an art I hold dear. - RT