Waterproof P&S cameras

Monthly photo contests will be the feature of this forum. Discussions of photographic techniques, gear, software, etc will (hopefully) discussed here.
ditchdoc

Re: Waterproof P&S cameras

Post by ditchdoc » Wed May 04, 2011 4:34 pm

Don't mean to hijack but, I have an Olympus stylus a couple of years old. Takes decent enough photos but what I hate (really hate) is the delay between pushing the shutter button and the actual exposure of the photo. Does this bother anyone else?
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is forever.

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Wed May 04, 2011 7:33 pm

SOBF told me to buy a Canon D10 for under water and he should know cause he is a plumber and runs a picture taking school.
I will have to try to get a video up of some of the camera work we have had done of our shit pipes at work....very cool....fiber optic rules......
had some 40" + pipes done (storm) and we saw some cool shit...so to speak
My pic school is sold out......lots of grad students here on the Sukk from what I have seen

riversquid

Post by riversquid » Thu May 05, 2011 1:02 am

Fuck olympus.....i really dislike both the cameras I have ... ive had two "water proof" cameras fail on me ...I can never find the right setting ... also the flash is always too bright ...

i get them because I like the operating systems .... they seem intuitive ..

I will never own one again and when i get the cash i will by the cannon or the pentex

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » Thu May 05, 2011 8:40 am

all things being equal, I want a good Macro. I like to take bug pictures.

I'm not to concerned with underwater, just want waterproof for when I drop it in the water.

I know Pentax used to have good Macro, and Canon stuggled with it. I have a Canon Power Shot A95. It really struggles to focus for Macros...

thanks guys, I really appreciate the help !
The Drake, at it's best, gets us away from this regurgitated ration of shit that is everywhere you look in Flyfishing. VTNZ

FredA

Post by FredA » Thu May 05, 2011 10:05 am

I've got an old Pentax Optio somethingorother... few years old. I love the camera but recently, in the last year, if it gets cold at all... and I'm talking 45f, the thing won't even turn on. This is really a pain in the ass for spring and fall trips and also for underwater. This model never claimed to be coldproof so I guess that's what I get. Those new WG-1's look to be the way to go. I would hope being coldproof that it doesn't have similar problems. That digital microscope has me intrigued as well...

Upsetter

Post by Upsetter » Thu May 05, 2011 11:25 am

Gremlin wrote:I'm not to concerned with underwater, just want waterproof for when I drop it in the water.
Speaking of which...i stitched one of these

to my pentax and now it floats. :Roll Eyes

D-nymph

Post by D-nymph » Thu May 05, 2011 2:04 pm

ditchdoc wrote:what I hate (really hate) is the delay between pushing the shutter button and the actual exposure of the photo. Does this bother anyone else?
Yes, me too.
"The devil's pourin drinks and his daughter needs a ride" - III

Junglecock
Location: Northern Southeast, Panhandle, Lost Coast, Crackatraz

Post by Junglecock » Thu May 05, 2011 10:16 pm

Me too. Also when you get a drop of water on the lens and don't notice and then................

damn

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Fri May 06, 2011 8:58 pm

shutter lag sucks, more on some cameras than others, I had a nikon 5000 that took forever to poweron and take the first pic, the Oly sw 1030 that I have powers up and shoot the first pic very quickly, takes a while between shots, but it has a 5.2 fps burst mode at 3MP. I've not used that but may give it a try next time out.

In doing some reserach I came across this info..

lag.jpg
lag.jpg (184.89 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
Too bad they don't have the latest models..

In attition I found the turn on time.

Canon D10 1.92 seconds
Pentax W90 2.23 seconds
Olympus TG310 4.27 seconds

That being said, my sw 1030 respondes much faster that that, I can power up and take a pic in under 2 sec...

http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutter-l ... risons.cfm
Buy Mexico Returns

ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

BearsFan

Post by BearsFan » Tue May 10, 2011 9:33 pm

Sony! I have a tx-5 that is fucking money. I really like the fact that it does not look like one of those goofy assed water proof cameras. You can still look like you have style when taking shots of drunk girls working the striper poll that just got put in at the bar down the street.
"I've been searching my whole life for a woman to feed me once a day and eat me once a day. My needs are simple." - Outcast

"Mostly I think about hookers and Tarpon fishing." - blumpkin

NeedmoreDEET

Post by NeedmoreDEET » Tue May 10, 2011 10:40 pm

BearsFan wrote:You can still look like you have style when taking shots of drunk girls working the striper poll that just got put in at the bar down the street.
Pics or it didn't happen - lol
I like that quote....now have someone hold your head under water until you post a proper intro....or until you stop struggling. - RFA

Blicero

Post by Blicero » Tue May 10, 2011 10:54 pm

Another vote for the Sony TX5. I picked one up a few months back and have been happy with it. And the TX10 just came out, so you can get them for under $200 now.
"Tell your God to ready for blood"